Advice for woman "of a certain age"

Options
I've been on MFP for a couple of years, fell off the wagon after maintaining for years and am back again--at age 65. Now I find myself on the edge of obese (the wrong edge) and am back to the old routine of cutting calories and exercising. I am in good health and take no meds. SO..I recently read a study about losing weight and keeping your TDEE from dropping too much that recommended 60 min of exercise 5-6 days a week with a 28% cut in calories.
My question is does it matter if you split the 60 min into two sessions? We live at least an hour from a gym or Y so I walk (lots of hills) ride bike, do various DVDs (30 day shred--WATP--step) most of which are 30-45 min. I also have been practicing Tai Chi in class for seven years. Being retired I can do two 30 min sessions and keep the activity level up better than a 60 min session, I have a Polar f11 (overkill bit a gift) and subtract my BMR from the count.
Next question--my BMR for the highest edge of healthy is 1260, now its 1334. If I start to get burned out--losing only 3 pounds a month does it make sense to take a break and eat at goal TDEE for a week or so..if I split the difference between sedentary and lightly active and don't eat back my calories that would put me around 1600-1700cals per day.
My main goal is to maintain as much muscle as possible as a get close to a healthy weight.

Replies

• kathystrauss1
    kathystrauss1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Well I am by no means an expert but I have been on the weight loss/gain roller coaster for many years. I did tons of cardio, really watched my diet and lost but could never seem to maintain for the long term. What I'm doing different this time is heavy lifting at a gym. I found that even the workouts that I did that claimed to "tone" really didn't do that much for gaining and maintaining muscle. I was so weak. I am so much stronger now. I guess only time will tell if it is the key for me for the long term. My advice to you would be to cut back on the cardio a little and really try to add some quality strength training. Maybe hire a trainer if you can afford it. Good luck from another lady of a certain age!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I agree with strength training. Reducing calories to lose fat and strength training to maintain the muscle you have.

I do both cardio and strength. I run 5 - 7 days a week between 3 and 5.5 miles each run and I do Stronglifts 5x5 twice a week. I really like to run so I do that for fitness. I haven't lifted in 2 weeks because, well because life got in the way a bit, but plan to get back next week. Strength has really helped my flabby everything LOL, cardio won't do that.

I net at least 1200 calories a day, on rest days I eat about 1400 calories and I'm good with that. It's taken me 10 months to lose 50 lbs and I'm happy with the rate I've lost. I'm about at goal weight, actually I'm 10 lbs below my orgiinal goal so I plan to start adding in calories to find my maintenace soon.

Good luck.
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I have met with a trainer (who told me to ditch the Barbi weights) and have a routine that I do 2 or 3 days a week. At your age I would consider "lifting heavy" but trust me--at your age I was running 3-5 miles at a time something changes after your mid 60s. Now 12 pounds is lifting heavy, considering years ago I started with soup cans that's pretty good.
    I do feel stronger after a couple months back on track--both with the cardio and the strength. I guess the lesson is to just keep on going.
    Thanks
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    First question, yes you can split up your hour, but ive never heard the 28% less than tdee thing. Second you either need to do tdee - 20% or the mfp calories set for you where you add back exercise. I do know in the new rules for weightlifting supercharged book they definetly reccomend more protein for people over 50 its something about how the body utilizes the stores as we age. Do the weights, whats heavy for you will be what you cant lift more than 8-10 reps. Cardio is important for your health as well. Stay with it like you said weight loss is definetly slower as you age.
  • Kakalina2
    Kakalina2 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    We are of an age, I will be 64 in a couple of months. It took 18 months to lose 112 lbs. I gained back 12 pounds when I quit smoking but lost half of that.

On Mon. Weds, Fri I go to the gym. I run half hour of hills at level 7. Then I do 45 - 60 minutes of weights. On Mon I work upper body, Wed the express circuit and Fri lower body. I am bench pressing 45 lbs. and leg pressing 110. On Tues Thur and Sat. I swim for an hour. Nothing fancy - some laps and just general swimming.

I keep at 1200 - 1330 calories every day. Well, most days anyway. So far ( knock wood ) I am maintaining. It takes a lot of work and I am eating fairly clean. I would like to drop the other 6 lbs. and know I could if I cut a few of my "treats" but I just don't want to right now.

Good luck and clean eating.