Can you tell me why I am not losing weight ??

Options
13»

Replies

• hmroebuck
    hmroebuck Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    At 5'4 115 you don't need to lose weight. If you are unhappy with how you look, get rid of the scale and focus on body comp (which Insanity is probably helping with).

Having said that the BMR of a 32yo female your height and weight is 1300. I'm not sure how many calories you are burning, but if you are eating 1500 a day and burning say 300, weight loss is going to be extremely slow (like 5 weeks to drop a pound). So, if it's only been 3 weeks, you may be on track.
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody :

I need advice about how to drop weight . I am a woman 5"4 and I had 115 -116 pounds. I ant to lose 5 pounds. I used to go for 5K run , but since I am living in other place with really bad weather conditions , that is not a good option. I trade my morning run for High Interval Training ( Insanity) and in the afternoons I do 30 minutes of weight lifting. I DO exercises all days of week less Sunday. Plus I am doing diet, just 1500 calories and I DO NOT eat fast food, junk food, soda or alcohol, pizza, ice cream or food like that.

With that plan I have not experimented any real weight lost and I gained 5 pounds. I was waiting that weight could be water retention for all the exercises, but I have been doing it during the last 3 weeks and I have not seen changes. I am almost desperate, I am working super hard and I wanted a good result. Please, can you give an advice about what I should do for drop those 5 pounds ??

Why are you even worried about losing 5 pounds from 115-116? That's the low end on some charts for a small framed person (midrange in others).

Why does it matter to you? Isn't telling someone they are already too skinny and shouldn't lose weight skinny shaming?

Did I say they were too skinny? Didn't see those words in my post at all. It was an honest question.

You don't think your post could at all be interpretted as you suggesting they should not lose weight because they are already borderline too skinny?

I won't argue it with you though, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

OMG Get off the gas!!!:laugh:
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    For a 32 year old, 5' 4" woman:

Based on the Robinson formula (1983), your ideal weight is 123.0 lbs
    Based on the Miller formula (1983), your ideal weight is 129.1 lbs
    Based on the Devine formula (1974), your ideal weight is 120.6 lbs
    Based on the Hamwi formula (1964), your ideal weight is 119.7 lbs
    Based on the healthy BMI recommendation, your recommended weight is 107.8 lbs - 145.6 lbs

I don't write this to make you feel bad for wanting to lose more weight. But I noticed you seemed panicked about not losing five pounds when you're already 115 lbs small, so I wanted you to see in black and white that you're actually already quite perfect (or even a little smaller than the norm) according to the math and science. Hopefully this will help you understand that even if it takes a little time to lose the weight, you're already ideal. :)

If you feel panicked, however, because you feel that you look "fat" - you might want to check into a little talk therapy about that, as that is not a healthy place to be in, in your mind. Just a suggestion.

I was just thinking that you look fabulous on your pic and the weight sounds lower than ideal. Throw out the scale and go by pictures and how your clothes fit. Being fixated on a number isn't a healthy way to go about losing weight. Take into account the whole picture (i.e. body fat percentage, building muscles, endurance, etc.).
  • hmroebuck
    hmroebuck Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I want to reduce fat percentage . I want that some day my thighs be firm columns, not just cellulite gelatine as they are now.
    [/quote]

Then the weight on the scale means very little. You could very well weigh 120 and look way better than you did at 110.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I want to reduce fat percentage . I want that some day my thighs be firm columns, not just cellulite gelatine as they are now.

I don't know much about cellulite, but from doing some quick research it seems that trying to lose weight and body fat won't have much of an effect on the cellulite. In fact, if you lost body fat too quickly it can actually make the cellulite look worse.

I would start a good weight lifting program that emphasizes squats and deadlifts. Find out what your TDEE is and eat about 5% ABOVE it. If you add a little bit of muscle, it may reduce the cellulite a bit. Cellulite won't go completely away unless you get some kind of cosmetic surgery.
  • riotatme23
    riotatme23 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing weight, the most likely explanation is that you're eating more than you're burning.
    It doesn't matter if it's "clean" or "filthy."
    It's only been a short period of time, so just be patient. If you still aren't losing after, say, 6 weeks of accurate logging... then you're eating more than you think / more than you need to lose.
    This.