Yoga vs. Pilates

Options
What is the difference? This may seem like a stupid question, but to me, they seem like pretty much the same thing. Is there a drastic difference?

Replies

• LanakilaGirl
    LanakilaGirl Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    There isn't a huge difference. Yoga does a lot more stretching and is a little slower. Pilates is more strength oriented and focuses a lot on your core. I'm not saying that yoga doesn't focus on abs and it has some great power poses, but with Pilates you can also get into the machines and there are other variables that focus on strength training. Love them both. . .
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Pilates is also far more aerobic than yoga. I enjoy Pilates because I can feel the workout. I don't feel like I do much when I'm doing yoga. I did Pilates for several months and definitely saw a huge difference in my body. My muscles were very toned and my stomach was nice and flat.
  • chocolatnoir
    chocolatnoir Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    It depends on the type of yoga you do- Power, Vinyasa, Bikram etc work you very hard and produce excellent physical results. You should do some research online and also check out a local yoga studio to try one of the more rigorous styles. People who do yoga regularly (and eat well) have amazing figures because they tend to work out every part of their body.

I am a yoga lover so am biased...about to roll out the yoga mat on this snowy morning, in fact :)

Good luck!
  • GiGi76
    GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    It depends on the type of yoga you do- Power, Vinyasa, Bikram etc work you very hard and produce excellent physical results. You should do some research online and also check out a local yoga studio to try one of the more rigorous styles. People who do yoga regularly (and eat well) have amazing figures because they tend to work out every part of their body.

I am a yoga lover so am biased...about to roll out the yoga mat on this snowy morning, in fact :)

Good luck!

I agree, I LOVE Yoga and see great results with yoga but i do more power and vinyasa yoga!!! i never got much out of Pilates myself!!! If you do the right kind of yoga you will get an AWESOME workout and feel amazing!!!!
  • GiGi76
    Options
    Pilates is also far more aerobic than yoga. I enjoy Pilates because I can feel the workout. I don't feel like I do much when I'm doing yoga. I did Pilates for several months and definitely saw a huge difference in my body. My muscles were very toned and my stomach was nice and flat.

The pilates ive done isnt very aerobic at all, but yoga is very aerobic!!! Try the p90x Yoga or some Shiva Rea yoga... Yoga is very beneficial to your entire being, not saying Pilates isnt good also but with pilates i only notice my core getting stronger, not my entire body!!!! One thing i do like about pilates is that i feel longer after it!!! That being said i just see alot better results from yoga, and so i do yoga regularly and only do pilates here and there, when i want an easy workout!!!!
  • GiGi76
    Options
    There isn't a huge difference. Yoga does a lot more stretching and is a little slower. Pilates is more strength oriented and focuses a lot on your core. I'm not saying that yoga doesn't focus on abs and it has some great power poses, but with Pilates you can also get into the machines and there are other variables that focus on strength training. Love them both. . .

There is a massive misconception in the mainstream that yoga is just about stretching. The practice of Yoga is far more than just stretching!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    I think you should ask yourself what do you want out of exercise. If you want core work, then pilates is the way to go. If you want stretch and strength, then yoga is your thing.
  • chocolatnoir
    Options
    Yoga is not necessarily slow!

Last night I was struggling to keep up the pace while doing Vinyasa...and was pouring sweat. Was much more energized this morning so today's practice was better. When you finish a good session of yoga you have most likely worked your arms, your legs, your back, your core, even your feet and wrists! Your blood circulation will be improved, your breathing more steady, and you will have had a good sweat. Plus, your mind will be clearer. Can't beat that.

I have DVD's by Seane Corn and Baron Baptiste and love both- Vinyasa & Power Flow. Again, it all comes down to the type of yoga you practice.
  • GiGi76
    Options
    I have DVD's by Seane Corn and Baron Baptiste and love both- Vinyasa & Power Flow. Again, it all comes down to the type of yoga you practice.

Ok now i have to get these dvds too.... i love adding to my yoga collection!!!
  • GiGi76
    Options
    @ smarina79 Which dvds do you have by them???
  • GinaSz3
    GinaSz3 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I like Yoga ( mainly Bikram ) and LOVE Pilates...Its made my body strong and lean in a way that does not look overly muscular but smooth. My goal has been to obtain curvy Ballerina body =) and Pilates has really shown some amazing results for me. Pilates does focus alot on core and lots of pulsing which is amazing!
  • chocolatnoir
    Options
    @ smarina79 Which dvds do you have by them???

Well, I have this set- http://www.amazon.com/Yoga-Journal-Great-Instructors-Baptiste/dp/B000VI70VI- which is good for all levels and is seane corne, baron baptiste and shiva rea (although I have to admit Shiva is a bit "out there" for me :))

I also have http://www.amazon.com/Baron-Baptiste-Live-Soul-Strength/dp/B00019U9U6/ref=sr_1_10?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1292182323&sr=1-10

This is basic vinyasa- she has a level 2 dvd which I do not have- http://www.amazon.com/Seane-Corn-Vinyasa-Uniting-Movement/dp/B0001DHSKG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1292182355&sr=1-1

If you are advanced these may not challenge you, but I consider myself intermediate and I like these....
  • LanakilaGirl
    LanakilaGirl Posts: 41 Member
    Options

There is a massive misconception in the mainstream that yoga is just about stretching. The practice of Yoga is far more than just stretching!
    So, sorry. . . I really didn't mean to put off that there's not much to yoga. Yoga is tough and I've seen huge changes in my body from doing yoga, it's just a little different is all.