Looking for some guidance

Options
Hi,

I am new to MFP and have been logging in everything religiously. I do boot camp 4 days per week and try to jog/power walk on my off days. I am 5'6" at 182 lbs and my goal is 135-140. Could anyone take a look at my info and let me know if there is something that I am doing wrong/right? Thanks!

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Your diary looks pretty yummy. One thing I noticed when I look through, you seem to be fairly consistently netting less than 1200 calories a day. Over the long term, this can cause you to end up with not enough energy to sustain you. At 5'6" and 182 pounds, your BMR is probably around 1600 calories. This is what your body needs each day just to sustain essential bodily functions. :)

Another thing I noticed was that you're not using a food scale (or your entries don't always reflect it if you are). I don't use one either (and have been very successful in getting the weight off), BUT, there are those who will tell you that this is the only way to ensure accuracy when recording - and they're right. 'Guestimating' always worked for me, but you could be eating more than you thought you were if you're not weighing and measuring your foods.

Are you having some sort of trouble? Why did you reach out with this post? Not knocking you, just trying to understand if you're wanting specific help with something.
  • valkaree
    valkaree Posts: 519
    Options
    Yes make sure you use a food scale and measure EVERYTHING. That includes cooking oil and sauces. Track vitamins (multi's fish oil etc). Try to hit that 1200 everyday. It will make this more sustainable long term. Lower carb, high protein helps me to stay full. Drink lots of water...LOTS. It will help with cravings, make your skin silky smooth and help the weightloss process. You are on the right track. Ask more specific questions if you have any.
  • HisStrengthCounselor
    HisStrengthCounselor Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    You are not eating enough, contrary to belief, you need to eat to lose weight, now it is important 'what' you eat more of, but you still need to be eating more than what you are now. When you don't eat enough your body thinks its starving and it slows down your metabolism and holds on for dear life to the fat. There is no one size fits all, everyone's body is different so you have to experiment with works for you, so don't be fooled by low carb/no fat type diets. You do need to include healthy fats and good carbs. But stay away from processed foods and you need to reconsider your sugar intake, 80 grams- that's really high. You want to try to eliminate foods w/ added sugar, watch fruits, they are good for you , but they have lots of sugar, so you want more vegetables with some fruits, lean protein.
  • SandyBess
    Options
    Thanks for all of the replies, i just noticed them :) I got a food scale and have really been measuring everything. I think the biggest problem for me with eating is that I work in an office and sometimes the boredom makes me just want to stuff my face. I was feeling better about my weight loss but then I started my period and now my weight is back up to where it was at the beginning!