Calling all runners!

Options
So... I signed up for my first 10K race. Race day is September 20th. I'm scared because I can run a 5K with relative ease, but I have not ever gone beyond that. The route is known for 2 killer hills and that also has me nervous.
Due to child care purposes, I only have a treadmill to train on during the week. My longer runs will have to be on weekends.
Any tips?
I googled 10K training schedules for a 4 week period and plan to stay to that as close as possible. But I thought any runners on this board may have some great insights for me to read.

Replies

• mrsmitchell0510
    mrsmitchell0510 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    The people who did the Couch to 5k also have a 10k trainer app. That is what I use. The first 8 weeks are Couch to 5k, then it transitions you from that to a 10k. I love it!
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Ok, I am not an expert but what I would do is this: keep your midweek runs the same as you do now (maybe 30mins twice in the week), on your long run outside you need to increase the distance each week. You have four weeks so do 6k this week, 7.5k week 2. 9k week 3 then ready for 10k at race time . Walk some of the long run if you have to but try to cover the distances. If you were training properly for a 10k you would increase more gradually and probably run further than10k for your long runs but in the short space of time you should aim for "get you round" type training. Good luck with your race
  • congruns
    congruns Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    depends on what you are scared of.

if you are worried about just finishing, you'll be fine, you'll finish
    if you are worried about finishing without walking, find a slower comfortable pace. what's your 5K pace? add 30-60 secs to that
    if you like structured training programs, there are apps there
    if you don't need structure, then get a couple of 8 mile runs in your legs before the race. i suggest not making the race day your first go at that distance.
    increase the incline on the treadmill to match what the course will be like.
  • mkdm291
    mkdm291 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'm actually just focused on finishing, as this is only my first one. I run about 9 minute miles now. Hoping to finish somewhere around one hour. I think that is relatively realistic.
    I love having a goal to keep me motivated!!!
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I was just like you in May! I was running 5k's around 3 times a week with ease. I signed up for my very first 10k to run in May! I probably had around 2 months to train, but I really didnt follow any training schedule. The first thing I did was map 6miles in my neighborhood. Day 1 -I ran/walked my 6 mile trail so I knew where my start and end goals were. Every time I ran, I just ran a little more. I only ran 6 miles straight once before my actual 10k. The day of event I was super nervous! But once you start running and get in your groove, you will find its just like any other run.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    find some hills. go run up them.
  • _runnerbean_
    Options
    Dont be scared of the hills- if you walk up them you won't be the only person doing it. ;)
  • _runnerbean_
    Options

if you are worried about finishing without walking, find a slower comfortable pace. what's your 5K pace? add 30-60 secs to that
    if you don't need structure, then get a couple of 8 mile runs in your legs before the race.

I disagree with jumping from 3 miles to 8 miles in less than one month. It's asking for an injury which means you might not reach the start line.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    So... I signed up for my first 10K race. Race day is September 20th. I'm scared because I can run a 5K with relative ease, but I have not ever gone beyond that. The route is known for 2 killer hills and that also has me nervous.
    Due to child care purposes, I only have a treadmill to train on during the week. My longer runs will have to be on weekends.
    Any tips?
    I googled 10K training schedules for a 4 week period and plan to stay to that as close as possible. But I thought any runners on this board may have some great insights for me to read.
    If you're currently running 5K "with ease" you'd shouldn't have any trouble finishing a 10K race today. You just may be really sore the next couple of days after.

Keep in mind that you really shouldn't increase your training mileage by more than 10% per week as it can lead to injuries. Really, you only need to increase the length of one run per week. When I train for half marathons, by the time I'm at my peak miles I'm running 6 miles twice per week and 11 miles once. Keeping with that, you should run 5K twice per week and increase your long run by about mile each week. So 3 miles, 3 miles, 4 miles in week one. Then 3 miles, 3 miles, 5 miles in week 2, and increase the long run to 6 miles in week 3. Do one of the 3 mile runs each week at "race pace", one on the treadmill at an incline to match the hills in your race (you can alternate the incline during the run if you wish) and the long run should be a slow run. By the time you get to your race day you'll be set. If during the race the hills start to get to you, walk them. I almost always do. I don't run up them much faster than I can walk them, anyway, so why let them drain me for the rest of the race?
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

if you don't need structure, then get a couple of 8 mile runs in your legs before the race.

I disagree with jumping from 3 miles to 8 miles in less than one month. It's asking for an injury which means you might not reach the start line.

The OP never stated what her current workout schedule looks like. All she said was that she is limited to treadmill on weekdays and her "long runs" will be on weekends. And that she runs a 9 min pace.

It would help if the OP did disclose what types of mileage she does weekly. But as the above cautioned, increasing mileage should be done slowly. The OP's main concern at this point is to get to the starting line injury free. I am not sure how much fitness improvements can be made in a month.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    4 weeks is not a lot of time to make any significant progress...use the time but dont expect miracles.

That being said if your at the 5k distance you should have no trouble hitting the 10k...you may have to do a run walk to get there but you should get there.

as for the hills..i would say plan on walking them unless they are long..then you could take it in run/walk intervals.

good luck to you though!
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Based on your posts, it looks like you've got a pretty good handle on the situation.

Do not worry about treadmill workouts. I've trained for several marathons using one: tempo runs on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and a long run outdoors on Saturdays. You could add some incline to treadmill routine (like 5 min segments) to help simulate what you will get during your 10k.

Between the longer distance and the addition of the hills, your estimate of 10 min miles sounds pretty accurate.

As for running up hills, shorten your stride a little, slow down a little, and try to maintain the same level of effort you would on level ground. Plus, it's OK to walk.

Good luck!
  • Ratrap
    Ratrap Posts: 153
    Options
    Jumping in on this.

What do you do for when your knees hurt after you run?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Jumping in on this.

ice-on-knees.jpg
  • WandaWoman41
    WandaWoman41 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Jumping in on this.

ice-on-knees.jpg

You made my day.
  • Ratrap
    Ratrap Posts: 153
    Options
    Jumping in on this.

ice-on-knees.jpg

I guess I deserve that. :smile:

Altough I am impressed by the Tough Mudder orange
  • mkdm291
    Options
    Thanks everyone! :smile:
    I just wanted to see what I can do... I did 6 miles on the treadmill without hill training. Now that I know I can do the distance, I plan to rest tomorrow and work on smaller runs with hills. Naturally, following all of your advice in the process. I'm really excited. This is a race that I've wanted to do for a long time and never had the guts to try!
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    put that incline up, up, up on the treadmill
  • mkdm291
    Options
    Will do! Next time!!
  • beccagetsskinny
    beccagetsskinny Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've ran five marathons, four half marathons and 10k's and whenever i approach i hill i tell myself,

"I LOVE HILLS!!!!!!!"

"YAY!!!!!"

Even though you may not feel it, even though you may not believe it, saying it does wonders. It makes your brain think you love hills and you end up doing better than you think. :) The harder the hill, the louder i say the words out loud.

Hills are great because they use different muscle groups so it gives some of your other muscles a break. The toughest run i've ever done and the ONLY marathon i didn't complete was the Skagit Valley Flat, which was a course that was super flat. ugh. that was just killer.

So you got this! Remember to train slowly and build a strong foundation for running. Congrats on your first 10k and you're going to love it!