True or False: 80% diet & 205 Exercise for weight loss?

Options
I am finding this True so far. Even though I have been over weight the majority of my life, but also athletic- I am finding weight loss more successful now as I have been changed my diet to a cleaner lifestyle of eating. I have always atteneded a gym, and been involved in sports growing up, but my diet was awful.

I am only 3-4 weeks in on my weight loss journey and since taking my diet more serious I have lost 9 pounds within 3 weeks. I hope it continues this way.

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    False - Weight loss is 100% diet.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Exercise is great but it only adjusts how much you can eat. You can lose or gain fat doing minimal activity and you can lose or gain fat being a marathon runner.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    yup.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    I mostly agree with this, but take off 5% for exercise since it can impact whether you lose muscle vs. fat

but if we're talking only weight loss and not where it comes from than it is 100% for sure
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    ^Agree with the above gentlemen:

Diet for weightloss; exercise for being awesome.
  • Jenism1
    Jenism1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I am a poster girl for the fact that you can't out exercises a poor diet. I exercise a lot but my diet is not as clean as it should be and I am definitely not losing weight, maintaining, yes, losing, no. It is 100% what you eat. Wish it was different but alas...
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Exercise is great but it only adjusts how much you can eat. You can lose or gain fat doing minimal activity and you can lose or gain fat being a marathon runner.

Agreed with these guys+++
  • GatorDeb1
    GatorDeb1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have gained weight while training for a full Ironman and binging (~10 lbs) and I have lost weight bed-bound after being hit by a car.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    I am a poster girl for the fact that you can't out exercises a poor diet. I exercise a lot but my diet is not as clean as it should be and I am definitely not losing weight, maintaining, yes, losing, no. It is 100% what you eat. Wish it was different but alas...

On that note, not eating clean has nothing to do with it. It's not what you eat...it's how much you eat.
  • mdboss10
    mdboss10 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Agreed, I really wish that you could exercise-away a terrible diet. But short of being a professional athlete, its just too hard to burn away the calories. Making weight loss 95% about diet is what has worked for me. Exercise is great for pretty much everything else: muscle tone, stamina, flexibility, energy, health, disease-prevention, etc.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

QFT!!!!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    ^Agree with the above gentlemen:

Diet for weightloss; exercise for being awesome.

This exercise for the love to exercise.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit is the only requirement for weight loss. Exercise can help with that a little bit, but you can only take that so far. I'm not running a marathon everyday so I can eat an entire cheesecake... or a couple BBQ bacon double cheeseburgers... or tub of gelato... or a couple sushi burritos... or some slutty brownies. I'm sorry, what was the question?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

Definitely this.

Exercise for fitness/awesomeness.
  • mhlew
    mhlew Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Wow I know it is early in this thread but surprised by the answers thus far that it is all diet! I thought much more people would agree 80 diet/20 excersize.

I just feel so much better when I workout and feel like it does increase my weight loss versus just clean eatining within my calorie range.

Good to know I am going above and beyond with regular excersize.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

On that note, not eating clean has nothing to do with it. It's not what you eat...it's how much you eat.

QFT!!!! He is on a Roll....... :drinker:
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I am finding this True so far. Even though I have been over weight the majority of my life, but also athletic- I am finding weight loss more successful now as I have been changed my diet to a cleaner lifestyle of eating. I have always atteneded a gym, and been involved in sports growing up, but my diet was awful.

I am only 3-4 weeks in on my weight loss journey and since taking my diet more serious I have lost 9 pounds within 3 weeks. I hope it continues this way.

FYI- My title is supposed to say 80% diet & 20% Excersize

Your diet will determine how much you weigh - exercise ( lifting weights) will determine weather that weight is muscle or fat - Eastcoast Jim
  • mhlew
    mhlew Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention wouldent gaining lean muscle play into affect that the 20% exersize rule is true? If you just diet without excersize including weight lifting sure you will lose weight, but you will eventually just be "skinny fat"
  • Hornsby
    Options
    I forgot to mention wouldent gaining lean muscle play into affect that the 20% exersize rule is true? If you just diet without excersize including weight lifting sure you will lose weight, but you will eventually just be "skinny fat"

Yes, but your title asked about weight loss. It didn't ask about fitness.