Rewards before you earn them

Options
I am currently training to do a long distance cycle ride next summer. I had told myself that if I had achieved my training goals, I would buy myself a nice road bike in the spring.

Someone has offered me a nice road bike. It is almost exactly the sort of thing I would have bought - good quality steel frame, good quality parts. I had set aside a budget of £1,300 to buy this bike, and I have been offered it for £70.

Is it cheating if I buy this? Will I be less motivated? Or should I just pass on it?

Replies

• kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    1,300 compared to 70?!? Do it. Pick a new prize for completing your training.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    buy it!!!!!!! and start using it. you'll find another goal. upgrades and whatnot. :)
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    I had set aside a budget of £1,300 to buy this bike, and I have been offered it for £70.

Is it cheating if I buy this?
    No, it's smart.

What're you buying?
  • maizerage66
    maizerage66 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    You're saving a ton by accepting the offer, so do it! Since you like it so much you'll be motivated to use it like crazy and you'll have a new goal and something else to reward you with since you have the money you saved with this offer. Sounds like a win-win-win all over the place. :happy:
  • cdoesthehula
    cdoesthehula Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    No, it's smart.

What're you buying?

It's touring bike. Made by Edison; not a well known framebuilder, but a good one. Reynolds 531ST throughout. Fairly plain, but nice.

I will have it, I think. I might send it for a fancy paint job to properly make it mine.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    A great bike should NOT be a reward for great cycling. A great bike should be A PART of your great cycling. Buy the bike, put it to use, "pay it forward". (Or whatever other cliche you might want.) Just get the bike, then use it. If it's as great a bike as you're saying, then it's virtually guaranteed to make you train even more than you already are, simply because it'll make you a better cyclist, and help you love cycling even more.

Seriously. Buy the bike now, and let your long ride be the reward.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    duh, buy it and set a new goal! That's one hella deal.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Don't do it! I had a friend do the exact thing, and he took himself to court and sued himself into bankruptcy!

Oh, yeah... :laugh:
  • cdoesthehula
    Options
    A great bike should NOT be a reward for great cycling. A great bike should be A PART of your great cycling.

I already have a great bike! It's only an old mountain bike, but I made all sorts of modifications to make it stronger so I can ride it. I made a stronger 40 spoke back wheel, and a Magura brake. And all the bits are chosen so I won't break them. I was heavier when I started riding it.

I am really too heavy for ths bike at the minute, or at least I am with the build it will get for next spring.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    By the bike now, and spend the difference on something else when you're ready to reward yourself. That sounds fair, huh?
  • hoffmanchristina
    hoffmanchristina Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I promised myself a shopping trip for new clothes when I lost enough weight to fit into regular misses clothes. Sears put my absolute favorite jeans on sale for half off plus an extra 15% off. What would you do? Wait a month and pay full price or buy now, get twice as much and push myself extra hard because I can't wait to start wearing them? I chose option 2. Right now, 16 is just a little tight, need to lose another 5 pounds. But I did pack up all my size 18 and 18W clothes and give them away. Another 2 weeks and my 16W will also need a new home. And I can't wait for that day.

So I would say, if you have a great deal and it's exactly what you want, then go get it. Use it to motivate you to reach your goal.
  • cardinalsfootball
    cardinalsfootball Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    You buy the bike and hang it in the garage. Don't TOUCH it until you achieve your goals.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    cheating?? this isn't school. you won't fail, you won't be sent to the principle's office.

i got a great deal on a road bike before my first triathlon. i told myself i wouldn't buy one until after i completed my first race. but three weeks before my first triathlon when i got the bike, i already knew that i would be doing this sport for a very very long time.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    What are you nuts???? Buy it. You deserve it !!! Use the rest if the money to take that bike somewhere fun and ride your heart out.

:noway: :noway: :noway:
  • lozzatao
    lozzatao Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You can never have enough bikes ... n+1 applies .. where n is the number of bikes you already own !!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    You buy the bike and hang it in the garage. Don't TOUCH it until you achieve your goals.

horrible advice. horrible.
  • Rachifloon
    Rachifloon Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I might send it for a fancy paint job to properly make it mine.

Buy the bike and have absolutely no regrets. (The only one you'll have will be passing up the offer!) THEN reward yourself with that new, personalised paint job. Simple. c:
  • cdl42
    cdl42 Posts: 41
    Options
    What a great answer. I mean don't be crazy and pass up such a deal, but stick to your guns by not touching that bike until you earn it honestly.
  • cdoesthehula
    Options
    OK, I'm having it.

I am going to do what has been suggested by Cardinalsfoot. It will go away, and not be used until the spring.

With the money I'm not spending, I'm going to buy some very, very fancy parts for it and send it away to be repainted. It will be the bike that sees me into old age.

Really looking forward to this. :smile:
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If it will make your training better, because it's a more appropriate bike - don't hang it up until AFTER you meet your training goals, it'll benefit to use it WITH your training goals.

Or better, use what is likely the heavier bike on a couple rides weekly that you consider your getting stronger rides, short and intense.

Use the new likely lighter bike for the longer endurance training rides.