Getting really discouraged...

Options
Hi everyone, I'd appreciate any advice or insight as I've been getting really discouraged lately.

I first tried MyFitnessPal several years ago and had really nice results (dropped about 10 lbs). It stayed off and I was doing ok, but while on antidepressants I wound up dropping another 10-15 lbs. I'm not sure if was the medication or what, but it was great. Then I went off of the medication and went from 128lbs to 150lbs in about a year. Since I'm only 5'0", that's a pretty significant weight gain for me. Ever since (about a year) I've been trying to lose the weight, but have been having a hard time getting under 145lbs at any given time, and usually hang around 148-151.

Using the app, I set my goal at 1200 calories a day (to lose just under a pound a week). I admit that some times are worse than others, but overall I've been averaging net 1200 cal/day. As for exercise, I walk to/from work most days (~2 miles each way), go to rowing practice 1-4 times a week in the summer, and am trying to get into running (schedule varies, but lately trying to jog for 30-45 min at least twice a week). On paper I should be losing weight, but it's a struggle to just lose a pound and I feel like if I screw up at all (even, say, forget to drink enough water one day) I wake up having gained a couple more pounds that take a week or more to get off.

First off...would ending antidepressants have a long-term effect like this? Or am I just getting to "that" age (29) where I can't lose weight without something completely drastic? Or am I just doing something completely wrong and don't realize it? I know "1200" is often seen as way too low, so at one point I did try to eat more and be more consistent with exercise, but it didn't really seem to help.

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It gets a little harder to lose as you age, but 29 (unless you're 29 for the 12th time) shouldn't be all that different.

If you're eating 1200 and doing all that exercising, Yes, you should be losing weight.

You should go back to the doctor and ask him what is up. Bring your food, exercise and weight logs. Everyone beginning a weight loss journey should visit the doctor, anyway.
  • Chrisparadise579
    Chrisparadise579 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    The problem is simple. You are not eating enough. 1200 calories a day is not enough with exercise. If you are exercising regularly(which i sounds like you are) then set your calories to 1600 and see how that goes. Also your macronutrients matter alot too. try to hit 40% protein 40% carbs and 20% fat each day and that should do the trick.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food on a scale. Logging everything you eat? Accurately logging exercise calories that you eat back?

Your diary is private so there might be more information to be found there, but for now these are the most common things I see in people who can't lose the weight.
  • glasshalffull713
    glasshalffull713 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I agree: eat more. You may be trying to lose too aggressively. Try 1lb/wk or .5lb/wk and make sure you are eating back at least some of your exercise cals so you NET 1200 at least. You will probably also be happier.

Also- you mentioned getting off track for a day and gaining? It's probably water weight, esp. if you are getting off track with restaurant or processed junk food. The sodium makes you retain water and the scale goes up for a few days at least until you balance out. Drink lots of water to flush out your system and try not to eat processed! There's no way you could eat enough to gain a few lbs in a day (3500 cals = 1lb).
  • glasshalffull713
    Options
    Eating too little can negatively affect your metabolism. Your body tries to hang on to the weight because we are wired for "feast or famine" and not enough calories signals that we should preserve our fat stores because there is a famine.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Eating too little can negatively affect your metabolism. Your body tries to hang on to the weight because we are wired for "feast or famine" and not enough calories signals that we should preserve our fat stores because there is a famine.

None of that matters until you're already skinny.

To the OP: your logging is broken. Open up your diary if you want help fixing it.
  • glasshalffull713
    Options
    Well it mattered for me. When I ate 1200/day I lost nothing. Upped to 1400, started losing.
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    First off, OP, take a deep breath. Try not to be discouraged.

I know it's a cliche, but remember: it's a marathon, not a sprint and weight loss is no where close to linear.

Now, that said, if you are feeling like a tiny slip up is causing you to go way backward in your efforts, perhaps there is something being tracked incorrectly someplace - either something in the food log is logged under actual calories (easy to do without a scale, easy to do even with one due to some incorrect "user added" items if you aren't careful), or an exercise is logged as more than your actual burn and if you ate it ALL back you could be going well over your deficit, or a combination of the two. I would recommend eating back only 50% of your exercise calories and see if that helps things.

As small as you are at 5'0", 1200 sounds perfectly reasonable (especially since you said it was for just under a pound a week deficit). So I think the goals are fine, but perhaps something is tracked incorrectly?
  • glasshalffull713
    Options
    Are you eating 1200/day or netting 1200/day?
  • nsoro1gb
    nsoro1gb Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wow, so many quick responses. First off, thank you!

To answer some of your questions:
    - I try to net 1200 calories/day, not total. Some days I am below this (particularly if I exercise a bit more), which I tend to use as a buffer for either miscalculating calories or "bad days".

- Yes, I have a scale and weigh my food or otherwise measure it out with measuring cups/spoons. Actually, once i got the scale I discovered that 4oz was a lot more than I had initially thought so I wound up eating more. I also like to cook, so I use the recipe feature pretty often.

- I didn't realize my diary was locked, I think I was just able to open it up.

I know the whole "feast and famine" thing, but thought that I'd at least need to have a normal BMI for that to take effect (and I'm definitely above normal). I do know that I've always tended to be a bit heavier than one would generally think. For example, my former roommate is the same height and we'd fit into each other clothes when I'd outweigh her by 10-15 lbs.

I plan to ask my doctor at my next physical about possibly testing for thyroid or other issues just in case (I'm a little overdue, so it's been a while). I asked my gynocologist about it last year and she wasn't concerned as long as the weight wasn't causing abnormalities in my cycle. Going back through my records, my weight definitely did start to steadily increase once I stopped taking Viibryd almost two years ago, despite no other discernible changes in my habits. I always thought antidepressants had the opposite effect (i.e. weight gain while on it, loss when you go off), and that it was short-lived.

Assuming it's not some underlying health issue, any suggestions that might help? I'm hesitant to just eat more, since the last time I did that I gained weight and I've already been at my "scary weight" for far too long for comfort. I will try the suggestion about upping my protein intake. I suppose there is also a chance that my logs are really just that much off...any suggestions for fixing that?
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    "Most weight loss occurs because of decreased caloric intake.
    However, evidence shows the only way to maintain weight loss is to be engaged in regular physical activity."
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/index.html
    Then I went off of the medication and went from 128lbs to 150lbs in about a year. Since I'm only 5'0", that's a pretty significant weight gain for me. Ever since (about a year) I've been trying to lose the weight, but have been having a hard time getting under 145lbs at any given time, and usually hang around 148-151.
    Going by BMI, you should be between 100 - 125 to be in a healthy weight range, so you've got about 25 lb to lose.
    Aiming to lose 0.5 per week is reasonable, so you'd need to cut 250 cal from what you're currently eating (from 1500 to 1250).
    would ending antidepressants have a long-term effect like this?
    It shouldn't, no. But that would be a good question for your pharmacist, or even doctor.
    Or am I just getting to "that" age (29) where I can't lose weight without something completely drastic?
    Nope, nothing drastic needed. Re-read that first part, where the CDC says controlling calories in is most important.
    Plus, 29 (the actual, real, first time there) isn't where your body really starts changing.
    Wait 'til you hit 40! I'm serious - just short of turning 40 I noticed my first grey hair, my eyesight changed a lot, etc.
    Or am I just doing something completely wrong and don't realize it?
    ... I've been averaging net 1200 cal/day
    That's the only thing I can see from what you've said.
    Ignore "net" calories, ignore exercise calories, and eat at your calorie goal.
    This is what my doctor told me to do, and you can see by my ticker how well it's working for me.
    I know "1200" is often seen as way too low
    Not for someone so short.
    The problem is when someone of average height doesn't read the instructions or bother to learn anything about nutrition, thinks they want to lose 3 lb per week (when they have only 20 lb to lose), and does insane amounts of exercise, then makes herself sick.