Really need your support

Options
Hello everyone,

Though I am not new on MFP but I have never used MFP regularly before.Its been 4 years now and I am still at the same weight rather have gained 2 more kgs.I am 35 year old ,mother of a sweet 4 year old boy.I have tried a lot to lose my post pregnancy weight that was 80 kgs.I even went back to 74 two times but gained back the whole weight again.

Now I am 82 kgs.Its not only my physical appearance that's affected but my dream of having a second child is getting difficult with this much weight.

I think this weight loss process is mostly a psychological issue atleast for people like me who are emotional eaters.....get encouraged n discouraged by small things easily.

I wanna share my stupid story with u all(hope you wont mind,sorry)....I started MFP logging in my food n exercise n I was doing my exercise daily for 90 minutes.I aimed at losing 500 calories daily through exercise n restricting my intake to 1200 calories.I calculated that in that way I will be able to lose weight 1kg per wk.After a wk,I met a friend whom I told about my exercise routine,she replied,You are burning just 500 calores in 90 minutes on a treadmill,I burn 350 calories in 20 minutes on a treadmill.

Since then,I have been calculating how she could be burning 350 in 20 minutes........thinking n thinking n not doing any exercise any diet.I know I am doing wrong but I felt so discouraged n already she is 62 kg with 5 ,7 height.

I cant share my thoughts everyone cuz I know those who don't deal with weight issues can never understand this.

I feel like Is it really possible to lose weight??Is it really possible with eating healthy 1200 calories and exercise.???

Please help.I need support to start and keep going.

Good luck to you all wonderful people.

Replies

• S_Murphree
    Options
    Well. I read your post. First, I want to say your story isn't stupid by no means. Here are my thoughts. First of all, don't pay attention to what other people think is or isn't sufficient to burn. They are not you and you're not them. I read one time this and I truly feel it's true. It said what other people think of you is none of your business. That's true. What matters is what YOU think of YOU.

In saying that, I really think you need to take baby steps instead of hitting so hard. Start with 30 minutes. Do that for couple weeks then add 15 minutes or so.

I'm not sure your weight but make sure 1200 is sufficient for you. Next, don't compare yourself to anyone else. YOU give it all you've got. If the scales don't move, you need to feel satisfied that you've done your very very best..

Attitude is EVERYTHING. If you don't think you can do it, you won't. You have to set your mind to doing this. Do it for you and don't let anyone take it away from you.

Just my thoughts. Take care... Good luck!
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Im 34 for three kids. you need to figure out what your weight is all about. and you are already on the right track it sounds like as you're learning its not about the food. there's so much surrounding this subject that cannot be contained in a forum post. you're best bet is to read any of Geneen Roth's books she writes FANATASTIC on the subject.
    i suggest starting with Breaking Free from Emotional/Compulsive Eating. Its short and eye opening.

you have a lot of work ahead of you but you will never keep the weight off for good if you don't first find out why you are overweight in the first place (hint: its not because you love food)

lastly go easy on yourself, chances are that's fueling the emotional eating as well all that pressure.

good luck!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I would crown myself Queen of The Treadmill if I even burned 200 cals in 20 min...some people are super athletic and great for them, the rest of us just have to do our own personal bests.
  • S_Murphree
    Options
    Im 34 for three kids. you need to figure out what your weight is all about. and you are already on the right track it sounds like as you're learning its not about the food. there's so much surrounding this subject that cannot be contained in a forum post. you're best bet is to read any of Geneen Roth's books she writes FANATASTIC on the subject.
    i suggest starting with Breaking Free from Emotional/Compulsive Eating. Its short and eye opening.

you have a lot of work ahead of you but you will never keep the weight off for good if you don't first find out why you are overweight in the first place (hint: its not because you love food)

lastly go easy on yourself, chances are that's fueling the emotional eating as well all that pressure.

good luck!

Love this advice!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the numbers your friend is throwing around. Just worry about YOUR numbers. And read these:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

TL:DR the link right above this one then ->http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

After reading and studying those ^^ threads, I was able to develop a diet and exercise program that has resulted in a 3-4lb/month weight loss.

Excuses??? http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2014/06/02/the-no-excuses-play-like-a-champion-challenge/

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

Want to lift heavy things?
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Stronglifts Summary
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

Stronglifts Womens Group
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Knowing that you're easily sent off track, you should find ways to prevent that. I've got pink cards on my desk at work with my goals and the reasons I do this. So every time I get a set back, a craving or negative toughts, I read them over and over.

Good luck.
  • Ludka13
    Ludka13 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I tried losing weight last year with MFP and wound up putting on 4 pounds! So I started again this spring and have lost 9 pounds so far. Here's what has worked for me:

- Set my goal to lose half a pound a week. Last year I tried for 1 pound a week and because I am short that meant only 1200 calories a day, and I was hungry all the time. And the weight was coming off very slowly, like a pound a month. It was too much work for too little results. And then because I was hungry I would cheat more often.
    - Bought a digital food scale and I weigh everything. Measuring pasta in a cup versus on the food scale meant I was getting a hundred extra calories I didn't know about. Ditto for cheese.
    - Eat low GI so I don't get as hungry.
    - Eat fewer carbs, especially refined carbs, and concentrate on protein and veggies.
  • Prismatic8
    Options
    Thanks S Murphee,calliope610,sofaking6,Ludka13 & melduf for giving me so much support.I just loved reading your comments and advice and felt so much better finally.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Omg, if you worry about other people's ideas, you'll go insane. Just stop that. If people approve or don't approve - let them feel good or bad about it. Don't even think about other people's opinions.

Everyone should visit a doctor when beginning their weight loss journey. Everyone includes you. If that seems like a big deal...so is long weight. It's a LOT of work.

The doctor knows you and your health better than anyone else. They're also qualified to give medical advice and won't tell you polite lies. Don't get your advice from friends, coworkers or people on the Internet. Get it from your doctor.

Don't compare your weight loss or your path to anyone else's. Losing more doesn't make you better and losing less doesn't make you worse. You do your own thing, in your own time, comparing you to you will be more than enough. When one thing isn't working or gets boring, try something else. 1200 calories eaten and 500 burnt off may not be enough food to keep you going. So, if/when it's a problem, eat more!!

You can totally do this. Of course you can! Losing weight isn't rocket science and there is nothing special about anyone else who did it. You're as capable as anyone.

If you want to do it, you will, for sure. Just do it your way and the hell with how someone else does it. :)