Vacation food challenges - and how did you overcome them?

Options
Relieved and excited to see that I managed to maintain weight while vacationing in England for over a week! I am still working to lose weight, but I was worried that my progress would be derailed while traveling to visit relatives.

Prior to my visit, my hosts kindly asked about eating preferences. Normally my husband and I are adventurous eaters, happy to try anything and everything (ok, maybe partly the reason I'm now having to lose weight!) But since I've taken on this weight loss challenge, I am trying to make smart food choices. I let them know that fresh fruit and veg and low fat meats were preferred, and to please don't be insulted if I avoid eating a lot of sweets, pastries, breads and fried food.

Our hosts took very good care of us, as well as many extended family visitors. The only thing was the meals were a dieters nightmare - lasagna, spaghetti, sausage rolls, cereal, fried fish and chips, cakes and pies, cheesy toast, and ... wait for it.... bacon/butter/mayonnaise/thick white bread sandwiches. They bought bagels especially for me, something they never eat themselves. There was plenty of wine and beer. Every meal they dished out cakes and pies. Raw vegetable snacks and salads were a life-saver, but otherwise vegetables were limited to potatoes. I couldn't decide whether to laugh or cry, but my WW and MFP training helped with portion control and food choices. I ended up thinking of each meal as a game, deciding what to eat and how much. I tracked everything and mostly focused on portion control and calorie budgeting, since there were limited healthy options.

I guess it's a sign of progress that I didn't gain on the trip - now I can get back to my new healthy diet and keep pushing those numbers lower.

Anyone else have any stories about vacation food challenges, and how you overcame them?

Replies

• wgaue
    wgaue Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    We went on a cruise back in the Spring of the year (my first ever). After hear story after story about food being available 24/7, and how wonderful it was. Needless to say, I was flipping terrified!!
    'Yes, there was a ton of food there. Just about anything you could have imagined. And then some. I was able to stick with my "diet". And lost 2 pounds