Eating TDEE experiences

Options
I know there are tons of post regarding TDEE. I've currently been eating at the number of calories that MFP has me at but I'm interested in all the info about TDEE. I know others have been nervous about the difference and whether you'll actually lose weight while eating at much higher numbers. Currently, I'm net around 1500 cals/day. My goal is something like 1460. According to the TDEE info I've plugged in I could be eating at 2403 and that is for moderate exercise 3x/week. I'm assuming I'd be moderate because my exercise right now is lifting weights. Did I figure that right?

What are you experiences with switching from MFP totals to TDEE?

Replies

• Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    You have to watch it very closely. Whether MFP's calculator or any other calculator, and whether BMR, NEAT (which is MFP's approach) or TDEE, they are all estimates based on a few simple data points (mostly weight and activities) -- individuals will vary quite widely because we all bring our subjective biases into what it means to be "active" and how hard our workouts are, etc. My view is that you're best tracking everything as closely as you humanly can -- no lying to yourself or forgetting xyz -- for at least 4 - 6 weeks (and this is after you've already started a "diet" so any initial whoosh of water weight has already been accounted for). With that amount of time, you can look at your average daily intake; your average daily exercise / activity; and your actual weight loss / gain -- I like to take a 3 or 5 day average for the weight to try and take into account daily swings -- and from there compare your actual results to the expected results that the calculator says you should have achieved. This lets you see for yourself where YOU really are in comparison to the generic calculator predictions. Yeah, I know it sounds tedious and like a lot of work, but it's really the only way to give you that degree of confidence in expected outcomes that I believe is important for many of us to adhere to our plans more effectively.

So all that said -- a solid NEAT / MFP calculator and a solid TDEE calculator, given similar data, should produce the same outcome over a measurement period of a week. You might be targeting 1800 cals + eating back exercise cals the four days a week you workout under MFP, or you might be targeting 2000 cals everyday without regard to actual workouts under TDEE methods.

I tried TDEE for awhile, and just found that it wasn't fully for me in any but a strict bulking phase where I knew with great precision how much exercise I was going to be doing -- because I was only lifting and a fixed program. Even then, summer holidays blew that plan a bit, as did the occasional hike or other fun activity. I drifted back to MFP's NEAT calculations and just have to watch pretty carefully the calorie burns for given activities.

Sorry for the long-winded post - but as a last note, if MFP has you at 1460, and your TDEE target is 2403 (is that to maintain) then something must be out of whack because there's pretty much no way your lifting regime three times a week is adding almost 7000 calories per week in additional consumption. Is MFP target to lose 2 pounds per week and TDEE to maintain?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    To make it simple...MFP+exercise calories should equal TDEE-20% if you chose 1lb a week...

And most calculators I find are high...scooby says my TDEE is 2400...it's 2137...I know this from my own data...

Total calories consumed+(pounds lost x 3500)/# of days (usually at least 2 weeks worth of data)*note this works only if you are sure of your calories because you use a food scale for solids, cups etc for liquids and log accurately.

I agree with PP 2400 sounds like maitenance calories...so that is TDEE then you have to take off a %...typically 20% for 1lb a week.

When I start MFP it gave me 1380..then exercise it worked out to a gross of 1600...my TDEE was 2000...-20%...1600 calories a day.

I have been dong TDEE since Sept 9th 2013...note ticker...

ETA: TDEE is good to use if you are lifting and/or exercising consistently.
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Bump.

I checked on mine also but decided to stay were I am using what's already working MFP.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Bump.

I checked on mine also but decided to stay were I am using what's already working MFP.

If I hadn't started lifting heavy (hard to estimate those calories) I would have stayed with MFP method as well...it was working.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I lost 25 lbs using TDEE. I started slowly by eating 200 less than TDEE, then 300, then 500, then 700 as I progressed through my cut. After I made my goal and a little more, I started reverse dieting by adding 100 each week until I'm back at maintenance. I'm still at goal weight over a month later and close to will be at maintenance in a week or two. The key is consistant progress of 1 lbs per week. If you are losing that much, then stick with the calories / exercise as is. Once you stall, subtract some more cals like I did. Once you get to where you don't think you can eat less without losing muscle, keep cals the same but up your cardio.

Edit; I guess I should mention, I use the following calculator set on 'athlete mode'. It is on point for me at least. http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
  • zman1313
    zman1313 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I tried the scooby calculator out and it said I could eat 2600+ calories a day and lose a pound a week. I tried that out and it's been about 6 weeks now and I've lost like 2 pounds.....not thrilled considering how easy it was coming off before. Going back to ~2,100 a day (starting today, lol) so I'll report back with results. To me, it seems like TDEE varies from person to person (even if you have similar stats.)

At the end of the day you just need to listen to your body and find out what works best for you. For me, it seems like a lower calorie diet is the best way to get results.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I tried the scooby calculator out and it said I could eat 2600+ calories a day and lose a pound a week. I tried that out and it's been about 6 weeks now and I've lost like 2 pounds.....not thrilled considering how easy it was coming off before. Going back to ~2,100 a day (starting today, lol) so I'll report back with results. To me, it seems like TDEE varies from person to person (even if you have similar stats.)

At the end of the day you just need to listen to your body and find out what works best for you. For me, it seems like a lower calorie diet is the best way to get results.

scooby for me anyway estimates high...by about 300...I used IIFYM and it was closer to my actual. Most websites are just estimates yes...and tweaking is required...hence that calculation I used.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    I found it very difficult to find my TDEE. In fact so difficult during maintenance that I gained some of my weight back and I am now in a losing phase again. The best way to determine TDEE is your results! I will go back to that when I start maintaining again, but for losing MFP plan works better for me.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It should be about the same. With MFP you're supposed to eat your exercise calories back, and if you average them for a week, you will be very close to TDEE-20%.

I switched to TDEE-20% after a few months because I was tired of having to wear my HRM for everything, and it's worked for me.
  • nam985
    nam985 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm using a bit of a hybrid method as the ~1200 kcal that MFP initially allowed me left me feeling "hangry" and just wasn't sustainable over the long haul. Instead, I worked out my TDEE for days I don't work out by setting my activity level to sedentary which gives me ~2000 kcal, taking 20% from that is 1600 kcal, which I rounded down to 1500 kcal to account for a bit of overestimation. On days I work out, I allow myself a portion of my exercise calories which usually brings my total gross intake to ~1800 kcal.
  • jwallner04
    jwallner04 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You have to watch it very closely. Whether MFP's calculator or any other calculator, and whether BMR, NEAT (which is MFP's approach) or TDEE, they are all estimates based on a few simple data points (mostly weight and activities) -- individuals will vary quite widely because we all bring our subjective biases into what it means to be "active" and how hard our workouts are, etc. My view is that you're best tracking everything as closely as you humanly can -- no lying to yourself or forgetting xyz -- for at least 4 - 6 weeks (and this is after you've already started a "diet" so any initial whoosh of water weight has already been accounted for). With that amount of time, you can look at your average daily intake; your average daily exercise / activity; and your actual weight loss / gain -- I like to take a 3 or 5 day average for the weight to try and take into account daily swings -- and from there compare your actual results to the expected results that the calculator says you should have achieved. This lets you see for yourself where YOU really are in comparison to the generic calculator predictions. Yeah, I know it sounds tedious and like a lot of work, but it's really the only way to give you that degree of confidence in expected outcomes that I believe is important for many of us to adhere to our plans more effectively.

So all that said -- a solid NEAT / MFP calculator and a solid TDEE calculator, given similar data, should produce the same outcome over a measurement period of a week. You might be targeting 1800 cals + eating back exercise cals the four days a week you workout under MFP, or you might be targeting 2000 cals everyday without regard to actual workouts under TDEE methods.

I tried TDEE for awhile, and just found that it wasn't fully for me in any but a strict bulking phase where I knew with great precision how much exercise I was going to be doing -- because I was only lifting and a fixed program. Even then, summer holidays blew that plan a bit, as did the occasional hike or other fun activity. I drifted back to MFP's NEAT calculations and just have to watch pretty carefully the calorie burns for given activities.

Sorry for the long-winded post - but as a last note, if MFP has you at 1460, and your TDEE target is 2403 (is that to maintain) then something must be out of whack because there's pretty much no way your lifting regime three times a week is adding almost 7000 calories per week in additional consumption. Is MFP target to lose 2 pounds per week and TDEE to maintain?

Thanks for your response. I went back and re-entered all my info on a different site and got 1875. The other number must have been to maintain my weight. I thought the number was for maintaining at the goal weight I put in (170). But now I'm sure I didn't read something right.

This whole TDEE/MFP thing confuses me. It seems to me that the only real difference is with one you eat back your exercise calories and the other you don't and that they all average out in the long run?
  • jwallner04
    jwallner04 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone that responded! Your feedback helped answer some of my questions/concerns. :)
  • Cortelli
    Options
    This whole TDEE/MFP thing confuses me. It seems to me that the only real difference is with one you eat back your exercise calories and the other you don't and that they all average out in the long run?

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. The other important thing is to remember it's all an estimate (as is your own estimate of exercise calories burned, etc.) -- so it's a really good idea to track your own results against your expected results in order to narrow down that estimate from "the general populace" to "jwallner04."
  • Stella_Mayfair
    Stella_Mayfair Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I am so lost wtf is TDEE? And a scooby calculator? o.o
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I've used FitDay on and off for years, and it calculates my maintenance calories at 2300 with no exercise. I actually lose a little faster than its calculations would predict, but i think that's because I count high (I consume fewer calories than I log).

MFP, using the same gender / age / weight / height / activity level calculates maintenance with no exercise as about 1900 calories, which is an enormous difference - more than 3/4 of a pound a week.

Other TDEE calculators match MFP, and I have no idea what method FitDay uses - but it's a method that apparently works for me. Which is a bummer, because MFP has a far superior food database and search engine. I haven't figured out if there's a way to just override the calorie target, but that's what I'd like to do.
  • glasshalffull713
    glasshalffull713 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I haven't figured out if there's a way to just override the calorie target, but that's what I'd like to do.

just go to 'my home' then 'goals' then click edit.

I just did the calculation at http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ and it told me TDEE-15=1611 for me. I averaged out the last month of calories consumed for myself and it seems I am averageing 1673, which is close. I have not lost any weight though so I am guessing either I am not measuring perfectly, or else the estimate is just not exactly right for me. I think I am going to try eating at 1500/day (around what they say is -20% for me) and stick to it and see what happens after two weeks. And yes, don't worry, I am going to try and be more precise with measuring too!

Thanks to those who pointed out the importance of doing your own math and comparing it to what the predicted results are supposed to be. That was very helpful and informative.
  • Cortelli
    Options
    I am so lost wtf is TDEE? And a scooby calculator? o.o

TDEE is just another way to set your target calories for whatever your goal is. In these MFP forums there are, IMHO, three common acronyms for various calorie target measurements: BMR; MFP (NEAT); and TDEE.

BMR = Basal Metabolic Rate = average daily amount that your body would burn on a daily basis if you were more or less comatose, i.e., just the basic functioning of your body.

MFP Goal = a goal based on NEAT. NEAT = Non-exercise activity thermogenesis = the average amount you burn just going about your daily life -- errands, work, laundry, taking care of kids, etc. BUT without including any exercise activity like going to the gym, jogging, walking for exercise, etc.

TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure = average amount you burn per day, usually averaged over the course of a full week, based on your normal everyday life plus calories burned through exercise activities.

The calorie goals on MFP are based on NEAT, and then incorporate a lower daily amount to achieve the weightloss goal most people here select (but could also add calories for someone wanting to gain weight).

The numbers should grow from BMR - NEAT - TDEE for everyone who is doing any sort of deliberate exercise.

As an example, someone might have a BMR of 1600 cals - that is the amount she burns just by being alive (and bedridden). Because she also goes to work, goes shopping, runs other errands, goes out with friends occasionally, etc., her NEAT might be estimated at 1900 cals. This hypothetical women also works out three times a week, burning 300 calories each time. that would add 900 calories per week to her NEAT amount (1900 cals per day x 7 days = 13,300 cals + 900 exercise cals = 14,200 cals total for the week) making her average daily expenditure 2029 calories.

The difference is that here on MFP (and any other NEAT-based system), one would assume weight maintenance at the NEAT level (1900 cals per day) and then "get" to eat an extra 300 cals on those three days where there was exercise. If the same person were using the TDEE method, she would assume maintenance at 2029 per day, every day, regardless of whether it was an exercise day or not. In each case, if weight loss was the goal, she would set her target calories for less than those maintenance targets.

Scooby's is a popular weight loss / management site that has TDEE calculators popoular here at MFP: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calories-burned/

If you're comfortable with MFP's approach just stick to it for now - no need to get lost in all this, but it may help you understand some of the conversations around here.

EDIT: Bad link to Scooby's Calculator - that was to something different on Scooby's site. Here is Scooby's TDEE calculator: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options

Thank you! I was trying to find it in the app.
  • glasshalffull713
    glasshalffull713 Posts: 323 Member
    Options

Thank you! I was trying to find it in the app.

I think it is under "more" then "goals" (at least on iphone)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I know there are tons of post regarding TDEE. I've currently been eating at the number of calories that MFP has me at but I'm interested in all the info about TDEE. I know others have been nervous about the difference and whether you'll actually lose weight while eating at much higher numbers. Currently, I'm net around 1500 cals/day. My goal is something like 1460. According to the TDEE info I've plugged in I could be eating at 2403 and that is for moderate exercise 3x/week. I'm assuming I'd be moderate because my exercise right now is lifting weights. Did I figure that right?

What are you experiences with switching from MFP totals to TDEE?

If you are doing them right, they are 6 of 1...they are just two different methods of achieving the exact same thing. The difference between the two methods is where you account for exercise...with MFP, you log exercise after the fact rather than including it in your activity level...which is why you get calories to "eat back". With TDEE, you account for estimated exercise calories up front in the activity level.

Here's what my numbers looked like:

MFP goal to lose 1 Lb per week was 1,850 calories (net). With exercise I was grossing around 2,250 calories per day

TDEE = 2800ish calories....TDEE - 20% cut = 2,240 calories...a mere 10 calorie difference between the two methods...pretty much 6 of 1, half dozen of the other.

I think where people jack themselves up is 1) they don't even understand the MFP method and eating back exercise calories in the first place; and 2) they compare a 2 Lb loss rate goal or whatever with MFP to a 20% TDEE cut...not even comparing apples to apples in RE to loss rate goals. For most people, a 20% cut is going to be in the general vicinity of about 1 Lb per week.

If you're doing it right and you understand the methods and the math, you quickly realize that the two methods are just two different ways of arriving at the same answer...but most people don't understand the math or the methods it seems.