Shift Work

billylindsay
billylindsay Posts: 102 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Does anybody struggle to maintain the exercise/healthy eating routine when they have to work. I work constant nights and find it difficult to keep the faith during work days.

Replies

• mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    I work 2nd shift from 2pm to 10pm. I get home about 10:40 and have a light dinner. Soup or salad, maybe a yogurt. I get up with husband and make breakfast. at around 9am or so. I have a little something at about 1pm, half a sandwich or cottage cheese. Something easy to fix. My breaks are only 15 minutes each and we get 2. I bring a protein bar for the second one and something low cal for 1st. Applesauce, yogurt, cottage cheese/fruit, cereal bar, that type of thing. My troubles begin on the weekend!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Does anybody struggle to maintain the exercise/healthy eating routine when they have to work. I work constant nights and find it difficult to keep the faith during work days.

I am a police officer on 3rd shift from 11pm to 7am 5 night a week. To tell you the truth, it is harder for me to stay on track on the days that I am NOT working.

On work days, I just adjust my eating routine to start when I wake up, whenever that is, and I don't ever eat by the clock. I just get all my meals in whenever I am awake counting all those calories on the same day until I go to sleep even if the clock says it is 2 different days. I workout "early" which is usually the afternoon, again, not looking at the clock because it would seriously screw me up. And I take planned meals to work with me and never count on food being at work or going out to eat.

On days off, I normally try to get my body on a first shift schedule which can kill my sleep routines for 2 days and throw off my food sometimes. I tend to slack off those days because the rest of the day is not structured since I am off and for some reason it tends to throw the rest off.

We just have to plan ahead and make sure we stick to what we plan!
This discussion has been closed.