Why are most digital scales battery powered?

Options
Seems like a simple enough question. Rather than having to spend money on batteries every 6 months, I'd rather just have a scale plugged directly into the wall. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough but I can't seem to find a scale that goes up to 450 or 500lbs that can be plugged into an electrical outlet.

Edit: I've found some really expensive ones that have an AC adapter but anything under $50 is all battery powered.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Don't know, maybe because cords can look unsightly in a bathroom. I get batteries at the dollar store.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    If you're complaining about a task you have to perform once every six months you're going to have a hard time getting your activity level up
  • smpreston
    smpreston Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I use my scale every day and can't even recall the last time I changed a battery.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    If you're complaining about a task you have to perform once every six months you're going to have a hard time getting your activity level up

^Yep yep. And the batteries aren't expensive either.
  • fpsmoto
    fpsmoto Posts: 31
    Options

Nah just a minor complaint about spending extra $ on batteries when the manufacturer could make an AC adapter for it. Batteries can be expensive when you're on a budget.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I use my scale nearly everyday. I have only changed the battery once and it was only because someone bumped into the scale and made it stay on for hours
  • Bj0223
    Bj0223 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you guys are on the ball today. I'm sitting here thinking 'what kind of food is this dude weighing at 400# ?!?!'
    oh, I get it, a people scale not a food scale :)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Well, electricity from a plug isn't free, either. Assuming you pay an electric bill, I guess.

I've had the same digital scale for 15 or 16 years. I don't recall ever changing the batteries. I wonder if mine has the watch type battery.

I was looking at wifi scales and noticed some advertised as 'wireless scales' meant that they had a display that you could hang on the wall at eye level instead of having to look down. I guess it's for if you can't see over your belly. Kinda sad.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Let's see, cost of a battery every year or so compared to the cost of manufacturing a power adapter. Batteries are cheaper. That's without considering the very small voltage and amperage needs of a scale ... the moisture issues for those who step on a scale still wet from a shower ... ease of movement for a battery powered device versus cord length created restrictions.
  • tabicatinthehat
    tabicatinthehat Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you guys are on the ball today. I'm sitting here thinking 'what kind of food is this dude weighing at 400# ?!?!'
    oh, I get it, a people scale not a food scale :)

LMAO ME TOO!!
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Electrical floor scale + wet bathroom floor = Darwin Award.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

BUT THINK OF ALL THE MONEY I'LL SAVE ON BATTERIES IF I'M DEAD
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Can't argue with that logic there. :laugh:
  • fpsmoto
    Options

hahaha well I figure it'd be just like any other bathroom appliance that plugs into the wall and I don't think I've ever weighed myself while my bathroom floor was wet. In fact, why would the floor ever get wet? A shower curtain is supposed to keep the water in... and when you get out of the shower, well thats what floor mats are for...

Maybe I've just not had very good luck with scales in the past. My last one I was having to replace the batteries every few months and they looked kinda like watch batteries, so that added up over time. So maybe it was the scale that was malfunctioning.

In any case, it's not really that big of a deal, it was just more of a curiosity than anything.

Thanks for the informative and hilarious responses. :D
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Had my scale for almost 4 years. It uses 4 AA batteries. I have yet to change them. A few bucks is pretty easy to save over the course of 3-5 years. You could almost do it with change you find on the ground in that time period.
  • fangedneko
    fangedneko Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    In fact, why would the floor ever get wet? A shower curtain is supposed to keep the water in... and when you get out of the shower, well thats what floor mats are for...

Do you only take cold showers?
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Because solar powered ones would be impractical for indoor use
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options

Stellar MFP logic. Top notch Dave
  • fpsmoto
    Options
    Had my scale for almost 4 years. It uses 4 AA batteries. I have yet to change them. A few bucks is pretty easy to save over the course of 3-5 years. You could almost do it with change you find on the ground in that time period.

May I ask what kind of scale it is? I'm looking to buy one soon.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    have had mine for over a 18 months...uses a 9volt..changed it 2x so far(on the 2nd battery)...wouldn't want one that plugs in as I move it often...that would be a pain.