Is there a problem?

Options
I've been around for a long time, but I don't post much. I've always been one of those people that unless I have something I feel is of value to add, I best keep my mouth shut. I need some advice and I'm not sure where to turn, so here I am.

I've been on my weight loss journey for a little over 2 years. As time has gone on the weight loss has slowed, and at point stopped altogether. Every time the weight loss stopped I adjusted and pressed forward. The other day a friend of mine suggested I may have developed an eating disorder. Of course, I got angry and told him to mind his own business that I was just a really good dieter. Today I found myself getting really anxious when I thought my caloric intake might exceed 900 calories. I am an active person, and work out at least 1.5 hours a day. My weight loss at my current caloric intake is SLOW at best. I'm hungry all the time, but I tell people that I'm not. My friends words are starting to bother me, and I wonder if he might be right.

What do you think? Normal dieter? Or something else? I think I'm normal, but then again when I was an out of control alcoholic I thought that was normal too.

Replies

• zericaaaaa
    zericaaaaa Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I've been around for a long time, but I don't post much. I've always been one of those people that unless I have something I feel is of value to add, I best keep my mouth shut. I need some advice and I'm not sure where to turn, so here I am.

I've been on my weight loss journey for a little over 2 years. As time has gone on the weight loss has slowed, and at point stopped altogether. Every time the weight loss stopped I adjusted and pressed forward. The other day a friend of mine suggested I may have developed an eating disorder. Of course, I got angry and told him to mind his own business that I was just a really good dieter. Today I found myself getting really anxious when I thought my caloric intake might exceed 900 calories. I am an active person, and work out at least 1.5 hours a day. My weight loss at my current caloric intake is SLOW at best. I'm hungry all the time, but I tell people that I'm not. My friends words are starting to bother me, and I wonder if he might be right.

What do you think? Normal dieter? Or something else? I think I'm normal, but then again when I was an out of control alcoholic I thought that was normal too.

900 is no good :/ try to stay at least around 1200. from what I've read anything below 1200 will put you in starvation mode and you'll start to lose muscle. and if youre active you should be eating even more than that really. I'd say the only way to get a straight answer would be to consult with a nutritionist since dieting is so specific person to person. and if you can afford it, therapy would be a great benefit I'd say
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    What is your height and weight? What is your attitude toward your weight? It is very difficult to decide for you if you have a problem. If you really think that you do, you should talk with a therapist who specializes in eating disorders. If you don't want to provide into in a public forum, which is understandable, PM me.
  • s_masters20
    Options
    My height is 5'4 and current weight is 159. I am also a powerlifter, if that matters. When I look in the mirror I still see the obese person I always used to be. My doctor told me last week I should consider reducing my calories and exercising more to achieve a healthy body weight.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Unless you're 5'0, you (probably) shouldn't be dipping below 1,200 calories. Regardless, anxiety should never be present. Food is food. Every day is a new day with food logging.

If you are weighing all of your food and only coming up on 900 calories, 1. See a doctor 2. Get a counseling consultation, just to be safe.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I think that if you think there might be a problem, there probably is. Please tell your doctor (or therapist) exactly what you told us. It sounds like your relationship with food and weight loss could be entering dangerous territory. Either way you're better off talking to someone.

Good luck.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    If you're getting overly anxious about food/calories, that might be a problem.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I agree, I would talk to someone. I don't even know how you're powerlifting on 900 calories. I would pass out. I'd doubt you're getting the proper nutrients at that intake.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I think that if you think there might be a problem, there probably is. Please tell your doctor (or therapist) exactly what you told us. It sounds like your relationship with food and weight loss could be entering dangerous territory. Either way you're better off talking to someone.

Good luck.
    +1
  • Missfit35
    Options
    Lions never lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. You are the only person who can make that call.
  • Lelah77
    Lelah77 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    It can't hurt to talk to a professional about it. Start with your Doctor, if you trust him/her. Explain your anxieties and your attitudes and see if your health provider sees a bigger problem. We can all surmise a guess, but your provider is a great start. He/She will know what to ask you to get to the source of the issue, if there is one.

Good luck.
    Be healthy.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    If you are eating 900 cal a day and doing 1.5 hrs of exercise, I would suggest that you are not doing vigorous exercise or your calorie numbers are out. You would not be able to maintain that. Period.

But .. the conclusion, if you have trouble eating more than that, you are in ED territory and he may very well be right. Sorry, if the shoe fits.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I agree, I would talk to someone. I don't even know how you're powerlifting on 900 calories. I would pass out. I'd doubt you're getting the proper nutrients at that intake.

Agree with this. Please talk to someone and take care of yourself. :flowerforyou:
  • leodora1
    leodora1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Maybe find a therapist who can help overcome anxiety issues with food as long term anxiety in this situation may lead to collapse. I understand where you are coming from and have been in the same boat. I would agree with everyone, eat 1200. With your 1.5 hours of workouts, your body is probably starving and leading to the slow weight loss. I would suggest though seeking out some professional advice on this subject as it sounds like you are dealing with a lot of stress and hidden away feelings.