Is my trainer wrong?

Options

Replies

• shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options

The lack of support you have from your trainer is off-putting to me. If he's not comfortable with training a woman new to iron, I'd find someone else. That kind of sucks =/

I don't mind ditching him and losing the $$--it is just that I have 3 sessions left and it will be awkward to see him there. I am usually pretty outspoken but it is hard for me, being unexperienced, to tell someone "Sorry--I don't agree with you!"
    Kick the trainer to the curb.

If this is a chain gym ask the management to change trainers and get your sessions with a different person. If they don't honor that, time to look at a new gym.

In your case, I think you have a trainer who wants to keep you away from a self directed program and rely on him for programming. More money for him.

It sounds like your form is bad on the deadlift, and it is 1 set of 5 reps. You should have control on the way up as well as the way down, and the way down requires at least as much proper form. Elliott Hulse has a great video on form, including the descent. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFnwEsqJABU

Start with just the bar and something to get the bar about 9 inches off the ground, use plates or the aerobics steps to get it close. If your gym has bumper plates (big rubber plates) you might be able to put 2 10 lb bumpers on and be at the right height but will be pretty close to the 75 lbs that you just did and may compromise form.

Take a video of your deadlift and post it on YouTube and people here can give you advice. Find someone at the gym who is lifting a decent weight to check your form. They may not coach you but they can tell you to STOP if something looks wrong.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I have never worked with barbells. Some dumbbells....some machines.....so I wanted to make sure I was doing the lifts correctly. I didn't even know how to add plates! :laugh:
    Maybe this is why he was reluctant to encourage you to go on with this program. It happens all the time in the gym....someone comes in new to _whatever_ (weights, kickboxing, etc) and goes gung-ho, ending up with an injury within the first few weeks.

I'm not saying that would be the case with you as you seem more knowledgeable than the average lifting-newbie; just might be something in the back of his mind.

His job is to show her how to do it correctly, not to discourage the entire program. If 45 is too much he should find her a training bar or PVC and work on form above all. His job is to set her up for success in what she want's to do. At the end of the day it is her decision and she is paying him to show her how it is done.

I could understand if he wants her to build some strength first before jumping deep into 5x5, but that is why they make PVC and lighter bars for form training.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i think there are many trainers who aren't into weightlifting and powerlifting. there are also many who dont know proper form .

Plus barbell training is not the sexy exercise program it seems many trainers like to pull together. for instance i've run into many trainers who's idea of functional training is stuff like a half squat on a bosu ball rather than a full post parallel squat with a barbell.

also, doing strong lifts you're not going to be good business sense for them since once you learn the form you really dont need a trainer

my suggestion would be to go back to the gym and ask for a trainer who has powerlifting experience and training. i also test trainers by asking them to show me how to clean. if they can't do it or worse ask me what it is then i personally wouldnt see a value in working with them for strength training

as for the deadlift, not keeping the bar in contact with your legs at all times during the lift can also create low back pain, as can rounding the back
  • JCLondonUK
    JCLondonUK Posts: 159
    Options
    When I started with my trainer I specified very clearly that I wanted to do compound lifts with free weights (because I was wary of being pushed to use machines) but we still spent quite some time at the beginning doing bodyweight exercises and TRX training because I wasn't strong enough to use the Oly bar properly. Then we started with the training bar for DL and OHP, until I was strong enough to use the proper bar with good form. Now I'm rolling, but starting that way was very sensible for the weedy beginner I was then.

It does sound as if you haven't clicked with the trainer, which is a shame - at the very least, he should be not only explaining to you why he wants you to follow his programme, but ensuring that you agree. My trainer explains the benefits of an exercise and how it will help me reach my goals as a matter of course, and I've always felt confident that he is as enthusiastic about my progress as I am.

Maybe talk to your trainer, or switch to another one?
    Good luck!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    my suggestion would be to go back to the gym and ask for a trainer who has powerlifting experience and training. i also test trainers by asking them to show me how to clean. if they can't do it or worse ask me what it is then i personally wouldnt see a value in working with them for strength training

I agree about finding a new trainer (starting with 75 lbs is inexcusable) but unless the OP wants to compete in powerlifting, powerlifting exercises aren't required. There are hundreds of other exercises out there, and it's easily possible to get in great shape without doing a single bench press, back squat, or barbell deadlift. Asking a trainer to do a certain program is like asking a doctor for a certain medication that your friends are using. A good trainer can tailor a customized program that's superior to mass-marketed programs, so i'd keep an open mind. But do make sure they have a good certification (ACSM, NASM, NSCA, etc).
  • nikkohli
    nikkohli Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Now I just have to figure out how to tell him without making all my future encounters uncomfortable. It is not a chain and the only other trainer is his brother....so I am going to youtube, ask questions here, and move forward carefully on my own.

I know I could find another program but I have seen so many people have success with 5X5, I love the idea of a steady program so I know exactly what to do, and even though I don't ever see myself completing, I like the lifts and the progressing weight. I like the idea of lifting big things! I just wish I had a buddy here to workout with...

Thank you everyone for your supprt and comments. I really appreciate it! :flowerforyou:
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Your "trainer" is an idiot and should be fired. Fortunately, you can do exactly that.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Strong lifts is a great beginners program, he's nuts. Start with lower weight and make sure your form is perfect before you start going up too heavy. Fire this dude and watch youtube videos, you'll learn all you need to. Or find a personal trainer who knows what he's talking about, compound movements are the best thing for you. Machines force your body into unnatural movements.
  • Chaskavitch
    Chaskavitch Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Good job starting with compound lifts, and having a program! Having an outline of what to do makes it SO much easier than just showing up and being like "hmmmm, legs... squats? Hamstring curls? Decisions, decisions..."

Regarding the pain in your back with deadlifts: I have noticed that if I am not tightening my core very consciously, I get a twinge in my back while doing deadlifts, almost regardless of weight (65 lbs or 205 lbs, doesn't matter). Try exhaling very forcefully while squeezing your abs while you're standing up. It has made a world of difference for me - before, I thought I was hurting myself even though I could easily lift the weight.

Also, 1 x 5 does mean 1 set of 5 reps. With deadlift, that involves putting the weights completely down on the floor in between reps (for the "dead" part of the lift), but you wouldn't just lift it once, go drink some water, lift it again, check your phone, etc. All five in a row, starting each rep from a "dead" stop at the bottom of the lift.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I have never worked with barbells. Some dumbbells....some machines.....so I wanted to make sure I was doing the lifts correctly. I didn't even know how to add plates! :laugh:

As for deadlifts...I thought it was 1 set of 5?

No, ma'am. One rep, 5 sets on the DLs.

I believe you because, as mentioned above, I know nothing, but I copied this directly from the SL5X5 website under the "Deadlifts" section
    ***5×5 stands for five sets of five reps. These are the sets and reps you do on every exercise except Deadlifts. Deadlift is only one set of five reps (1×5)***

I am so tired I am misreading? I am not being snarky--I am genuinely confused and I don't want to hurt myself!

ETA: Ok--Now I see where I am confused. So I should be doing one, taking a break, doing one, taking a break?

Duh! My mistake, it was REALLY late for me last night. Yes ONE SET of FIVE (Should have been sleeping, ha). But...it sounds like your trainer certainly overloaded you on day one, regardless of that. You should have been doing them bar only (even a plastic one if needed), since session one (and two and three...if necessary) is about getting form down.

If there is any way, please find a different trainer. If they are part of this gym, perhaps a talk w/ management is in order. Explain that your trainer does not want to and is not teaching you the program that you paid them to teach. Perhaps another trainer is available.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I would squat & dead lift but start very light - maybe just the bar - or body weight squats. Straight leg deadlifts & good mornings are great to strengthen the posterior chain - get some instruction on proper form first. They are not dangerous if done properly. Eastcoast Jim

Thanks! I am almost wondering if he started me too heavy to "prove me wrong".

Hi - your trainer is dumb -Strong lifts is a fine proven program Find some one who can couch you on proper form - one suggestion you might want to do the lifts at high reps (10 -15) for a month or so - this will help get your work on your form and help get joints& tendons ready for the heavier weights - on the deadlifts - treat them as a series of singles - let go of the bar - reset - tighten up - take the slop out of the bar - then pull it up first with your back then legs and shoulders - don't round your back-- the bar should come very close to your shins - may scrape them -stand up straight and square your shoulders - Eastcoast Jim
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    You sound like you know more than your trainer already...

I am not familiar with the way stronglifts is structured, but as a beginner you should absolutely be focusing on compound lifts. Don't worry about accessory lifts until you have a good foundation of strength and muscle which will come from basic compound lifts.

And yes, at this point, you should be focusing on proper form and not worrying about how much you are lifting. Starting out you are training your joints and nervous system on the movements you are doing so most of your strength gains will come from your body adapting and learning these movements not from actual muscle being built. Once you have proper form down, then and only then, should you focus on adding weight to the bar.

It makes you wonder how many people have been screwed up starting out, and will take a long time to figure out that they have wasted a lot of time and effort by listening to a moron such as this.

Good luck!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I'm guessing your lower back was hurting because you weren't picking up the barbell from a complete dead stop, as in the name DEADlift, after every rep. And/or not letting the bar go in a controlled drop once you pass the knees on the way down. But it could be because of other issues.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED!!! Especially the controlled drop. There was no "on the way down". I lifted it, and then bent over to set it down.

oh jeebus.

It goes down the same way it goes up.

Makes me crazy trying to teach people to DL- and they pick it up properly get to the top - and just bend over and set it down.

giant- huge- effing facepalm.

SAME WAY DOWN AS THE WAY UP.

New trainer- immediately- he's a grade A idiot. SL is' a great program- do some research on your own. Lots of Youtube videos to be had. :)
  • nikkohli
    Options

As for deadlifts...I thought it was 1 set of 5?

No, ma'am. One rep, 5 sets on the DLs.

I believe you because, as mentioned above, I know nothing, but I copied this directly from the SL5X5 website under the "Deadlifts" section
    ***5×5 stands for five sets of five reps. These are the sets and reps you do on every exercise except Deadlifts. Deadlift is only one set of five reps (1×5)***

I am so tired I am misreading? I am not being snarky--I am genuinely confused and I don't want to hurt myself!

ETA: Ok--Now I see where I am confused. So I should be doing one, taking a break, doing one, taking a break?

Duh! My mistake, it was REALLY late for me last night. Yes ONE SET of FIVE (Should have been sleeping, ha). But...it sounds like your trainer certainly overloaded you on day one, regardless of that. You should have been doing them bar only (even a plastic one if needed), since session one (and two and three...if necessary) is about getting form down.

If there is any way, please find a different trainer. If they are part of this gym, perhaps a talk w/ management is in order. Explain that your trainer does not want to and is not teaching you the program that you paid them to teach. Perhaps another trainer is available.

Thanks! I thought I was going crazy!! I was tired last night too so I felt like I couldn't trust my brain haha!
  • nikkohli
    Options
    Good job starting with compound lifts, and having a program! Having an outline of what to do makes it SO much easier than just showing up and being like "hmmmm, legs... squats? Hamstring curls? Decisions, decisions..."

Exactly! I have tried that way before and felt like my newbie indecision was radiating from me. I know no one else cares but it made me feel self-conscious, which made me not want to lift, which made me quit going. That is not happening this time.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    OP, your trainer is wrong

/thread
  • IllustratedxGirl
    IllustratedxGirl Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Definitely find another trainer! One who understands and supports your goals. oh, and understands the importance of getting form down before adding heavy weight
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    It stinks hiring a pro for anything and then finding out you don't agree with him.

Maybe you can put him to work on something like making a video on your phone of you doing deadlifts, then you can critique your form yourself based on what you know and have learned on your own. There are a lot of video demos of good DL form.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Deadlift is a hamstring exercise not a lower back exercise. I would say your form is wrong. Do you feel squats in your lower back too? That trainer is wrong.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    You're supposed to start Stronglifts with the bar if you're a total beginner. How is that 'heavy lifting'? I think the trainer just wants to be controlling regardless. When I and everyone I know started lifting we all did heavy lifting with compounds for sports and I'm talking about male and female athletes.