A few ?'s about C25K on a treadmill

Options
2»

Replies

• mandymack14
    mandymack14 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I've just started looking into the C25K program today, and have set a start date for about 2 weeks away. (I have a minor ankle injury that should be right to go by then.) I don't have a TM so I really don't have anything to contribute here ... just wanted to say "Good Luck!" to the gentleman OP.
  • mandymack14
    mandymack14 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Here you go! I do have something after all ... a page from the C25K website that specifically addresses your question.

http://www.c25k.com/c25k_treadmill.html
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Also check out this group, lots of experienced runners are stopping by from time to time to offer advice to the newbies:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

And there's a huge bunch of threads with information on anything you can think of to ask regarding running.
  • newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    1. At 6' 0" 222 lbs, with no history of running, what should my MPH be for the Walk and Run portions of the program?

I'm 5'5'' at 232 lbs and on week 4, day 2 of the C25K program. I've been stuck there for 3 workouts, but that's another story. I was already walking 2.4 miles when I started the program in 40 minutes. I set my mph for the walk orginally at 3.5 and 4.5. I scaled back in week 2 to 3.3 and 4.5. Since I'm having trouble, I've thought about scaling it back, but I feel so great in the first run, I'm dying to go faster. It's the end that trips me up.

2. What do people use to breakdown the times? Is there a recommended app that I can setup for the intervals laid out in the program? Or something else I'm not thinking of?

I have a C25K app on my andriod phone. It helps me know when to warm up, start, stop, and cool down. My phone always goes with me when I workout, since music is my life line during a run.

3. What constitutes a good 5K? What should my goals be by the end of the program?

In my opinion? One you finish. I did my first 5K in week 1 of the program. I finished in 52:22 and quite proud of it. My next one is this Saturday. My original goal was to finish in 45 min, but now I'm looking just to beat my first time. I've got another one lined up for September and October. Hopefully by September I will hit that 45 minute mark.
  • jsmerdel
    jsmerdel Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Here you go! I do have something after all ... a page from the C25K website that specifically addresses your question.

http://www.c25k.com/c25k_treadmill.html

Thank you. I had seen that and actually copied into a Excel sheet and formatted for print. But the C25K app is so much easier once I found that. And I appreciate the well wishes.
  • jsmerdel
    jsmerdel Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    1. At 6' 0" 222 lbs, with no history of running, what should my MPH be for the Walk and Run portions of the program?

I'm 5'5'' at 232 lbs and on week 4, day 2 of the C25K program. I've been stuck there for 3 workouts, but that's another story. I was already walking 2.4 miles when I started the program in 40 minutes. I set my mph for the walk orginally at 3.5 and 4.5. I scaled back in week 2 to 3.3 and 4.5. Since I'm having trouble, I've thought about scaling it back, but I feel so great in the first run, I'm dying to go faster. It's the end that trips me up.

2. What do people use to breakdown the times? Is there a recommended app that I can setup for the intervals laid out in the program? Or something else I'm not thinking of?

I have a C25K app on my andriod phone. It helps me know when to warm up, start, stop, and cool down. My phone always goes with me when I workout, since music is my life line during a run.

3. What constitutes a good 5K? What should my goals be by the end of the program?

In my opinion? One you finish. I did my first 5K in week 1 of the program. I finished in 52:22 and quite proud of it. My next one is this Saturday. My original goal was to finish in 45 min, but now I'm looking just to beat my first time. I've got another one lined up for September and October. Hopefully by September I will hit that 45 minute mark.

Thanks. I haven't gotten to week 4 yet but I'm hoping I can keep the pace I have started. Don't think I'll be trying any 5k's until I'm a little more comfortable running. Thats awesome that you already have. I think I have a complex about running outside for some reason. Not sure where that comes from.