How does one decide on a goal weight?

Options
I've been pretty close to a healthy weight, but never actually in that ideal zone for my height (5'8"). A few months ago I was almost 100lbs more than my lowest weight (high school). It seems impossible to get back there. My new doctor, who is very supportive of my weight loss and has scheduled monthly weigh ins to help me, doesn't think I should go below 190, because "it's not necessary" and "the skin on your face will sag". I was disappointed in her goal for me, since I maintained at that weight for a while after college, and really felt overweight. I don't know what to do. I've lost 25 lbs in 3 months but can't tell a difference anywhere but my face. I think I'd like to lose 100..but I'm afraid of loose skin and feeling too deprived, especially since I've never particularly enjoyed any kind of exercise. I'd like to have a real goal and some monthly goals for my weigh ins to help me feel like I'm making progress. Any ideas or advice?

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice for you individually.

My own goal was to get within the healthy BMI range for my height.
    At 62 kg I am well within that now and I have a BMI of 23 which I am happy with.

Disclaimer: I know BMI is not the be all and end all. But I also know my BMI of 28 wasn't because I was an elite body builder or an unusual body shape.
    My BMI said I was overweight because I was overweight.
  • BrokenBelles
    BrokenBelles Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. It seems like a reasonable goal. According to a BMI chart I found my lowest weight was actually in the healthy range. I'm currently in the obese with a BMI of 34.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I based my goal on my body fat % goal. Estimating my body fat to currently be about 25-26 (or 30-33% when I started), using a calculator I was given a range of 155-160 depending on my body fat. So this is my goal. I may end up going above it or below it, no idea. But right now I'm about a size 8 (or 10 depending on the brand), whereas at 145-150lbs I was a size 5/6 without much muscle mass on me. I've put on more muscle since then, so I am thinking that I'll probably be around the same overall size once I drop down to my goal BF% (18% btw), although my butt and thighs are already more muscular than they were when I was originally a size 5/6 so I may not always fit into that size.

This was the calculator BTW:
    http://www.fat2fittools.com/tools/ibw/

I'd say for you, at only 1 inch taller than me, ~160 would be a realistic minimal weight to aim for, but it really depends on your lean body mass beneat the fat. If you wind up burning fat and muscle, you may be able to get even lower. If you burn mostly fat, then 180 could wind up being your ideal. Also if you lose weight too quickly, that will likely cause sagging. So try not to lose 2lbs a week. 1lb a week is enough. Every month, if your clothes feel looser/better then you've accomplished a goal.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I've been pretty close to a healthy weight, but never actually in that ideal zone for my height (5'8"). A few months ago I was almost 100lbs more than my lowest weight (high school). It seems impossible to get back there. My new doctor, who is very supportive of my weight loss and has scheduled monthly weigh ins to help me, doesn't think I should go below 190, because "it's not necessary" and "the skin on your face will sag". I was disappointed in her goal for me, since I maintained at that weight for a while after college, and really felt overweight. I don't know what to do. I've lost 25 lbs in 3 months but can't tell a difference anywhere but my face. I think I'd like to lose 100..but I'm afraid of loose skin and feeling too deprived, especially since I've never particularly enjoyed any kind of exercise. I'd like to have a real goal and some monthly goals for my weigh ins to help me feel like I'm making progress. Any ideas or advice?
    Goal weights are pretty meaningless. As you can vary up to 5 pounds a day due to normal fluctuations at what time of day would you deep to have reached your goal weight. What happens when at 2 pm you are suddenly no longer at that weight. Just aim for around a Healthy BMI range and see how that goes. Don't worry about a specific number

As for loose skin there is little point worrying about it. A lot will come down to genetics/age /how much you need to lose and just luck. It can take up to two years for your skin to catch up with your body after a lot of weightloss. If you have a little at the end it's better to have that than the health problems and shorter lifespan associated with being obese. Don't worry about something you cannot control or make it too big and issue. Also you really don't need to feel deprived to lose weight. Have a look at the link some great advice. Good Luck

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=guide+to+sexypants&page=1#posts-18361594
  • GatorDeb1
    GatorDeb1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I got the lowest BMI before being underweight (107.5 lbs for 5'4") and go as skinny as I want without going under. I have been 112 lbs and I'm 119 lbs. I feel best at 115-117 lbs.
  • joanna_82
    joanna_82 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Why not set small goals and reevaluate when you reach them?
    For example set your first goal as a BMI of 30. When you get there, see what you feel you want to do, i.e set to 28 and then decide again?

I am 5ft 8 and am currently at a BMI of 26 - I am approaching my lowest weight for some time but this is still on the overweight range, I'm going to get there and then have a think about whether I want to lose any more. Ideally I'd like to get to a BMI of 24 but I'm sure if that will happen.

Good luck!
  • GatorDeb1
    GatorDeb1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Yeah your goals definitely change as you get skinnier and skinnier.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Why not set small goals and reevaluate when you reach them?
    For example set your first goal as a BMI of 30. When you get there, see what you feel you want to do, i.e set to 28 and then decide again?

I am 5ft 8 and am currently at a BMI of 26 - I am approaching my lowest weight for some time but this is still on the overweight range, I'm going to get there and then have a think about whether I want to lose any more. Ideally I'd like to get to a BMI of 24 but I'm sure if that will happen.

Good luck!

+1. excellent starting point.
    i started 7 weeks ago with a bmi of 36. now am at 32.goal is < 30 and then reevaluate.
    g luck.
  • Palamedes
    Palamedes Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    My Health and Fitness Person at work gave me a goal weight of 210lbs (I'm 6'!"). She also set me a goal of 24% body fat. I started the summer with a weight loss bet and set an internal goal of being down 25lbs by 9/1. I also joined the 20lbs weight loss by Xmas group, but that started at the beginning of August. Therefore, I have four goals currently in August with totally different time frames.

Right now, I think you would be fine going with the 190 as an initial goal. When you get closer to that goal, you can re-evaluate and adjust that number. You could also pick a BMI number or percentage of fat number as a goal.
  • LadyGisborne
    LadyGisborne Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have been all the weights between 119 and 235lbs. I am 5'7 with a large frame. I know that 120lbs is not manageable for me. I want to go down to 155lbs (the highest weight at which I feel comfortable), learn to maintain and then, maybe, go down to 135.
  • pinkstrawb
    Options
    I think goals change as you go on, it's good to have an achievable starting point. It's better to start off saying I'm gonna lose 20lbs in this amount of time than say I'm gonna lose 60lbs in a longer amount of time. Motivation increases the more you get into healthy habits and seeing the weight come off and seeing the number on the scales go down. Start with something achievable and keep upping it as you lose more weight and become more motivated.
  • alexsondra34
    alexsondra34 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    hello, i'm also 5'8" my aim is 160.9 or there abouts, the way i worked out this is by looking at the time when i was at my fittest but fully developed ( 24) and taking into account my body type, it's not the same if you have a very fine skeleton or big bones and it's not the same if you are straight up and down or pear shape or apple shape.
    160.9 is me without an ounce of fat, tight and muscly without having a six pack or looking like a body builder, cycling it's great, you save on transport and get tight at the same time.

about the shagging of the skin on your face it all depends on your age and collagen levels, there's also face exercises that tighten the muscles and the skin and washing your face with cold icy water increases circulation, there are ways.

You have to accept that things may not look like when you were a teenager, i've had 3 kids and know that when i lose the weight i'll always have the strecht marks and floppy bit of skin, but the aim is to get healthier and feel better, you know what's best for yourself, doctors don't always get it right. All the best.
  • alexsondra34
    alexsondra34 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
  • jmessina205
    jmessina205 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I set a goal weight for myself that was in the healthy range for my BMI. It gives me something to strive for, but I don't know if I'll ever actually get there. I think that goals change as you go, and the number on the scale is really only a number. The goal (at least for me) isn't so much a number, I just want to look in the mirror and like what I see. I want to feel comfortable with my body, and not like I have to hide it or feel embarrassed about it. Whatever the number on the scale is when I get there is fine with me. :smile:
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Go with how you feel and how you look; pay no attention to weight.
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and currently 188 lbs. I originally set my goal at 147 but have upped it to 155 lbs. I just got out of the obese category of the BMI on 8/14/14 and my goal at 155 lbs. will put me into the healthy range.
    I suggest getting to Doctor's recommendation then re-evaluating. See how you feel. Then set your next goal whether you want to maintain or whether you want to lose more.
    A lot will depend on your age and genetics.
  • CaitySins
    CaitySins Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I look at my BMI and what's the recommended range for my height (think mine was between 100 lbs and 125 lbs. My goal tends to be the top target, and then when I reach it I'll reevaluate whether I need to lose more weight (most likely since I'm so short) or if I just need to work on strength, toning and maintaining to avoid "skinny fat". I think it's hard to guess your ideal weight until you reach it, basically when you're completely happy and comfortable with your body, that's your ideal and just work to maintain it.
  • fortysixpounds
    fortysixpounds Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I think the best way is to set small goals and then re-*kitten* as you go:) Its good youve consulted your g.p. you're off to a great start.

BMI is a good rough guide. There is also now increased emphasis on the importance of fat distribution. Carrying excess fat around the middle contributes to more serious health problems than carrying fat elsewhere. The measuring tape is important and often overlooked.

I'd highly recommend you to keep a journal of measurements as you go. Every two weeks, measure and record. You will really see a difference and it will be such a great source of motivation on bad days. (I always measured in cms it made it easier to read difference and difference seemed more impressive in cms) I have a book that I kept with recordings over the year. Its a great keepsake to remind me where I've come from. You'll often see a difference on the tape where the scale hasn't caught up. :smile:

If you're not sure how to measure here's a post I did in it few years back:http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/328520-recording-the-difference-4-week-challenge-ongoing

Best of luck to you op and feel free to add me :flowerforyou: I wish you the very best with your weightloss journey :flowerforyou:

{. According to the WHO, there is an increased risk of metabolic complications such as insulin resistance, high cholestrol and abnormal fat distribution for men with a waist circumference greater than 94cm(37 inches) and for women with a waist circumference greater than 88cm (32 inches) (WHO,2000)}
  • moodyfeesh14
    moodyfeesh14 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    try weightlift 190lbs with no weights LOOKS very different than 190lbs of lean muscle mass
  • mythopoeic
    mythopoeic Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I had the same goal of getting down to 190 and after that I went lower. Your doctor doesn't really know if your face will sag (I think the chance of that is greater if you only diet and don't do strength training). Setting the goal at 190 will make it easier to achieve, though, and when you get there, you'll have a better idea of how much further you want to go.