Help.... what one thing should I do first?

2»

Replies

• Chaskavitch
    Chaskavitch Posts: 172 Member
    Until you have logged enough to have a better idea of what to eat when you're out or at lunch, you should definitely download the MFP app. It helps SO much to be able to look something up in 10 seconds instead of writing it down and looking it up at home. It will seriously surprise you what the nutritional information is for some things.

Also, try to find entries that include values for fat, carbs, protein, and vitamins, and not only calories. Sometimes user entries just say how many calories are in something, and then you have no idea about the rest of your nutrients.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I looked up what I typically eat on MFP. Realized the restaurant/fast food stuff I ate had way too many calories, so switched to the healthier options and made it a rule to always check nutrition info before ordering something. Which means I cut soda and juice, and pretty much cut fried food (except once in a while).

The bottom line for me is 1) I wanted to lose weight, 2) I didn't want to be hungry, so I had to find filling foods that fit my calories. Started eating out less, and make my own food more (you can make most of the things you are craving for much less calories, if you look for recipes).

And log every single thing, it will give you a good idea of what's good to eat a lot and what isn't.
  • in4nomz
    in4nomz Posts: 230
    Get a food scale. Track everything. Realize how much you are actually eating. Reduce intake if necessary.

As for the chocolate and all that, perhaps instead of banning yourself from eating it, allow yourself small portions everyday. That's what I do because if I ban myself from something, I end up stuffing my face with it 2 days later.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Make a DOABLE game plan (don't decide to just eat cucumbers and eggplant only for a month), make REALISTIC goals (don't aim for 20 lbs in two weeks) and have faith in yourself (starting right off the bat feeling like you can accomplish something is a huge help). As far as food goes, maybe try for the first week to simply log everything you are consuming so you can figure out where your weak points are and slowly change them for the better (cut down on snacking or portion out your snacks ahead of time, drink water not soda, cut down cream in coffee etc) little changes are easier on the system and more likely to be permanent.