What's your heart rate while working out?

Debx12345
Debx12345 Posts: 210
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
what's your heart rate when your working out? Mine only gets as high as 140-150 when doing the turbo bit of turbo jam !! Can get it up to 180ish when running on treadmill, which I can only keep up for 2mins, but when i just do normal aerobic DVD it's only about 115-120. Hence I generally only burn about 200 cals for half an hour workout.

So what do you guys do to get your heart racing ?

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    C25K gets my heart into the 170s-180s on the TM. Up to 140 doing elliptical/stationary bike, and 117-135 doing weights.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    When I'm using the arc trainer I can get up to 180 (I think 183 has been the highest) and I pretty much sustain 170-180 for the whole exercise, generally 30 minutes. On the treadmill I'm usually somewhere around 150-170 for the exercise, again around 30 minutes, maybe 45-60 minutes depending on the day.
  • achbarrow
    achbarrow Posts: 325 Member
    According to the machines at the gym I'm usually between 157-167 on the Stationary bike and the elliptical. I usually do 35 minutes of each.
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Oh it gets up there. LOL! Especially with running. I am usually at 180ish when I'm running. Zumba and kickboxing I'm between 160-170. My heartrate just automatically goes up...when I get started working out: I'm READY TO ROLL! Ha ha! Zumba its easy to get that HR up there...kickboxing I'll do fighter's stance until I feel myself warm up a bit! :o)

When I'm doing strength training, crunches or anything else of that nature my HR stays pretty calm. It elevates slightly, 120-130. So I hardly burn anything at all... :o)
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Interval training will get my heart rate going and burn the most cals for me. On the Tread I'll do a 5 minute walk and then:
    jog at 6.5 mph for 60 seconds
    increase to 7.0 mph for 90 seconds
    back to 6.5 for 60 seconds
    increase to 7.2 for 90 seconds
    increase to 7.5 for 90 seconds
    increase to 7.7 for 90 seconds
    BALLS OUT for as long as I can take it (8.0 for 30-60 seconds)
    Walk for 2 minutes at 4.0
    Repeat process. Until I throw-up, die or am shot off the back of the treadmill or some combination of the three.

I will do this on the ellipical with a change in resistance and incline (so it's like running up hill). I've found this to be the best method for me to increase my heart rate. I also find that as I do this my recovery rate (the time it takes your heart rate to get from "I'm gonna explode" to "normal") decreases which is good. I've read different studies on this method of training and they all say it's the best. I've also found that this has dramatically increased my speed and endurance for my long run days. (I've take 2 minutes off my single mile time in 3 months.)

so that's my 2 cents!! :drinker:
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Interval training will get my heart rate going and burn the most cals for me. On the Tread I'll do a 5 minute walk and then:
    Repeat process. Until I throw-up, die or am shot off the back of the treadmill or some combination of the three.

Crazy! I want to try that... although I suspect I'll fall off halfway through the first cycle. Thanks for posting!

Usually on the treadmill I can get up to about 175-180 and sustain it for 20 minutes before I start feeling fatigue (and start pitching sideways)... seems like I should be able to go for longer, but maybe that'll come with time.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member

Crazy! I want to try that... although I suspect I'll fall off halfway through the first cycle. Thanks for posting!

Usually on the treadmill I can get up to about 175-180 and sustain it for 20 minutes before I start feeling fatigue (and start pitching sideways)... seems like I should be able to go for longer, but maybe that'll come with time.

You can always start a little slower too. If your standard jog isn't 6.5 don't start there or you won't make it. If your standard jog is let's say 6.0 start there and go up to 6.5, 6.7, 7.0, 7.2 and then as fast as you can 7.5-8.0 whatever you can do. It's fun and you'll get a really good burn even if you just do one cycle. You can also for fun do it in reverse once you reach the sprint. So, you'd sprint and then jog and then sprint again and then jog and then basically work your way back down the intervals. Good times!! :drinker:
  • Interval training will get my heart rate going and burn the most cals for me. On the Tread I'll do a 5 minute walk and then:

Nice, that's what I usually do on the treadmill because if I don't do intervals I'll get really bored! Usually 6.2 mph for 60 secs and 7.2 mph for 90-120 secs. I try to do it when running outside but it's hard to know my speed then and i get distracted. haha.

Typically my HR gets to 165-170 when I am doing Insanity and about the same when I'm running and around 155 when I'm on the elliptical. =) sometimes I'll do an easier workout on the elliptical when I'm reading/studying and it will just get to 130-140.
  • Wow I need to put more effort in, or can you have a slow heart rate. Lol. I know my blood pressure is lowish, but when I feel like I am giving it my all, I check my hrm and it's can still only be at 140 !!!!
  • The highest my heart rate goes is 170s, and then I feel really bad and absolutely need to stop or walk a little to cool down. :S But my HR at rest is very low... Usually, I feel like having a good cardio workout at HR 145-160. Then my heart-rate monitor tells me I burn 300 cal in 30 minutes (my current weight is 160). I easily achieve that doing aerobic dancing, with a lot of jumping jacks and such. ;)
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Oh my gosh, mine gets really high! My max is always around 196 during c25k. My average is closer to 170, though. During strength training, it's significantly less, like 170 for a max, and it's probably much higher when my husband says something stupid. :tongue:

Msbanana, I :heart: your routine.
  • HollyMac20
    HollyMac20 Posts: 259 Member
    My HR gets pretty high. If I am doing a high intensity cardio workout (Turbo Fire or Insanity) my heart rate can peak between 180-200. When I run, it averages around 160-170. Weight training is is around 120 or so.

When you are doing your activity, scale your effort 1-10. 10 being I am going to pass out...don't get there. But on a high cardio activity, you should feel you are a 6-7 with bursts of 8-9. Step out of your comfort zone a little bit :-)
  • ckehoe89
    ckehoe89 Posts: 144 Member
    It all depends on the day and how much effort I am putting into things. My heart rate monitor says its good to stay under 169 for my age, height and weight. Once in a while I go over between 170-180.
  • Just done the 20 min turbo jam, put my all into it, highest my heart rate went was 154, and I only burned 160 cals. Got quite sweaty, but then again don't sweat buckets like my hubby does when he does the shred!!!! Guess it's just how I am. Think would have to work out for hours before I burned enough cals for a blow out!!! Lol.
This discussion has been closed.