Experience switching to TDEE method?

Options
Hi everyone! After a lot of stalled weight loss efforts, I read up about the TDEE method of losing/maintaining weight. I've calculated my TDEE and subtracted 20% and am going to start on this path.
I was doing the 1200 calorie plan (and eating back exercise cals) but after reading about BMRs etc I truly feel I may have been starving my body, and slowing down metabolism.
I AM worried about weight gain for the first few weeks on the TDEE regime, and I don't want to be discouraged. I understand that in order for my body to perform, I need to feed it. But it feels very counter-intuitive, and I'm easily discouraged by weight gain.
I do, mostly, eat a healthy diet with the occasional splurge, but I'm new to calorie counting and it is eye-opening for sure!
I'm just looking for anyone to share their experiences of switching to the TDEE method for losing weight, and how it played out the first few weeks. Maybe share how long you've been doing it, and why you decided to try it in the first place.
I'd also love to hear any challenges or struggles you met with this method.
Thanks for sharing!

Replies

• marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I switched the same way. It was the best thing I've ever done.

Easy weight loss, I'm never hungry and I have had plenty of weight loss. Try not to step on the scale for the first few weeks. I know that's way easier said than done but it'll help more in the long run. I don't take the scale to heart so I weigh myself every day. All depends how strong you are mentally.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is a myth...one that just won't die :)
  • AshleyCraig54
    AshleyCraig54 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Can you elaborate? What has your research shown you?
  • enzosmama
    enzosmama Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you posted this because I've been pondering switching to TDEE and tracking that way as well.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    the differences between doing TDEE -% and using MFP correctly aren't really that far apart... as far as intake is concerned.

Thing is, they're both just estimates. It's a LOT easier for me to track using TDEE.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Okay, so right now my stats don't show it -- but when I do eat TDEE-20% with a modicum of exercise, I lose at an average of 1.5 pounds a week like clockwork. When I don't I slowly work my way back up to 280. So, I'm back again, counting calories. It works like a charm.
  • krmiller4217
    krmiller4217 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    followng
  • AshleyCraig54
    Options
    the differences between doing TDEE -% and using MFP correctly aren't really that far apart... as far as intake is concerned.

Thing is, they're both just estimates. It's a LOT easier for me to track using TDEE.

This is part of the appeal... the tracking.

However, my TDEE is 2183 and BMR is 1587.
    So TDEE-20% is 1819 cals per day.
    This intake of calories, to me, is a HUGE difference from the 1200 per day I have been trying for the past two weeks ad per MFP recommendations! ;-)

I think the TDEE method makes logical sense. I felt pretty low on energy the past two weeks eating only 1200 cals, and although I managed to get exercise in most days, my runs were slower and felt heavier and my get-up-and-go was pretty much gone.

But again, like I said, it feels counter-intuitive!
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I don't think there should be all that much difference between the two.

There may be some trial and error figuring out what your TDEE is, *if* it's significantly different than what a calculator says, but the same would be true using any other method that's using a calculation as a baseline.

The only thing I can think that might throw a wrench in the works is if you aren't consistent with your activity from week to week. If you workout several times/week and then suddenly stop, your energy needs will change. So you'd want to be mindful of that.

Just my opinion, but people are much more likely to make errors with logging the Energy In part of the system.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    What you need to understand is that the TDEE method and the MFP method are the exact same thing save for where you account for exercise. Switching methods isn't going to make one iota of difference. Problem is people don't even understand the MFP method and how to use this tool properly...so they blame the method and the tool and think there's something magical about the TDEE method.

The TDEE method is what I prefer, but only because I'm consistent in my exercise and it's just easier to just account for that activity up front in my activity level rather than estimating every workout and logging it an then trying to figure out if I'm over estimating or underestimating my burn and then eating back those calories...

The only difference between the two methods is where you account for your exercise activity...with MFP, you log it after the fact and you get those calories to "eat back". With TDEE, some estimate of that predicted burn is just going to be included in your total number as you estimate it in your activity level.

Just as an example...with MFP, my NET calorie goal to lose about 1 Lb per week was 1,850 calories; with exercise I was grossing around 2250 on average. My TDEE is 2800ish...less 20% (to lose roughly 1 Lb per week give me a total calorie goal of 2,240 calories. As you can see, there is a mere 10 calorie difference between the two methods.

Where people really mess up is that they don't understand eating back calories and the MFP method...largely because they don't read the stickies on how to properly use this tool...and then they also compare a 2 Lb per week loss rate goal to a 20% cut from TDEE which is usually closer to 1 Lb per week so they get all confused and what not...when if they just did things correctly and compared apples to apples they would see that the two methods are just two slightly different ways of arriving at the exact same conclusion.
  • AshleyCraig54
    Options
    What you need to understand is that the TDEE method and the MFP method are the exact same thing save for where you account for exercise. Switching methods isn't going to make one iota of difference. Problem is people don't even understand the MFP method and how to use this tool properly...so they blame the method and the tool and think there's something magical about the TDEE method.

The TDEE method is what I prefer, but only because I'm consistent in my exercise and it's just easier to just account for that activity up front in my activity level rather than estimating every workout and logging it an then trying to figure out if I'm over estimating or underestimating my burn and then eating back those calories...

The only difference between the two methods is where you account for your exercise activity...with MFP, you log it after the fact and you get those calories to "eat back". With TDEE, some estimate of that predicted burn is just going to be included in your total number as you estimate it in your activity level.

Just as an example...with MFP, my NET calorie goal to lose about 1 Lb per week was 1,850 calories; with exercise I was grossing around 2250 on average. My TDEE is 2800ish...less 20% (to lose roughly 1 Lb per week give me a total calorie goal of 2,240 calories. As you can see, there is a mere 10 calorie difference between the two methods.

Where people really mess up is that they don't understand eating back calories and the MFP method...largely because they don't read the stickies on how to properly use this tool...and then they also compare a 2 Lb per week loss rate goal to a 20% cut from TDEE which is usually closer to 1 Lb per week so they get all confused and what not...when if they just did things correctly and compared apples to apples they would see that the two methods are just two slightly different ways of arriving at the exact same conclusion.

Thank you for that explanation!!! It is VERY helpful.
    So basically it's a bit of perspective. And yes that makes more sense, as I look back at my food logs and see that with my activity and "eating back exercise calories" my total calorie consumption is close to TDEE-20%.
    I think I got it now.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    This intake of calories, to me, is a HUGE difference from the 1200 per day I have been trying for the past two weeks ad per MFP recommendations! ;-)

First, your TDEE - 20% is 1,746 calories per day.

Second, you're supposed to eat back exercise calories with MFP's 1200 goal...that's how you account for exercise with MFP

Third, your 1200 calorie goal is most likely based on a 1.5 - 2 Lb per week rate of loss...whereas your 20% cut from TDEE is right around 1 Lb per week rate of loss.

Fourth, TDEE is an estimate just like anything else...you may in fact be overestimating your activity...or you may be underestimating it. This is why, with either method, you can't just set it and forget it....adjustments have to be made as per real world results.

personally, I would recommend sitting down with the math...understanding the math and understanding the methods and how these tools work before I switched anything up. The methods are 6 of 1...if you're not losing, it's not the method that is to blame...they are simply two slightly different ways of arriving to the exact same place. Once you understand the math and understand the methods, you can determine which one is better for you...the MFP method is fantastic for people who are inconsistent with their fitness...also for people who have varying degrees of calorie burn, etc. TDEE is usually easier for people who are very routine in their fitness and generally consistent in their burns throughout the week.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    To me the benefit of TDEE is having a consistent calorie goal throughout the week instead of having high and low cal days. Sometimes on the day after a heavy workout day I'm really hungry and don't like trying to stay within a lower range. Definitely put away the scale though. I did a month ago when I started a strength routine and I'm so glad I did. Just weighed today and seem to have missed the big water weight gain thing people get when they start doing strength. (I also let the scale affect my mood, far too much. It's put away again for another month.)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Second, you're supposed to eat back exercise calories with MFP's 1200 goal...that's how you account for exercise with MFP

Third, your 1200 calorie goal is most likely based on a 1.5 - 2 Lb per week rate of loss...whereas your 20% cut from TDEE is right around 1 Lb per week rate of loss.

Fourth, TDEE is an estimate just like anything else...you may in fact be overestimating your activity...or you may be underestimating it. This is why, with either method, you can't just set it and forget it....adjustments have to be made as per real world results.

personally, I would recommend sitting down with the math...understanding the math and understanding the methods and how these tools work before I switched anything up. The methods are 6 of 1...if you're not losing, it's not the method that is to blame...they are simply two slightly different ways of arriving to the exact same place.

^^ All of this.

A *properly set* MFP + exercise goal should be somewhere near a properly set TDEE-% goal.
  • AshleyCraig54
    Options

personally, I would recommend sitting down with the math...understanding the math and understanding the methods and how these tools work before I switched anything up. The methods are 6 of 1...if you're not losing, it's not the method that is to blame...they are simply two slightly different ways of arriving to the exact same place.

Ooops. Math typo there. Thanks for correcting! ;-)

And, that's why I am here... to learn how to use these methods properly.
    I'm not looking to "blame" a method on stalled weight loss... I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong, and how I can make changes to reach my goals and maintain them.

I will definitely have a closer look at the math to understand the methods, and your explanations have definitely helped to get me started.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the input.
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options

This agreed it's the same. I use either one and get the same results I went back to MFP method this summer only because I'm a teacher so during the summer my overall activity tends to be less vs during the school year. So I just use MFP and my Fitbit to help make adjustments as needed. I still workout 5 days a week it's just a matter of how active I am outside f exercise that can vary and because of this MFP method is better for me during the summer. During the school year either one works just as well In my own experience.
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I switched over to TDEE a while back and it is much easier. I did gain at first like most people do, but then its smooth sailing after! I find the other way ok when you use a heart rate monitor so I actually have an accurate calorie burn, but when people use the mfp estimates is when i find there is always issues.
    Good luck on your journey!!
  • AshleyCraig54
    Options
    Thank you everyone!
    I'm going to sit down and properly crunch the numbers, and get started.
    I think I will do better with a consistent daily calorie goal, rather than "eating back" exercise calories.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Its really not that hard.

Find out your TDEE and then reduce your calories from that. If you are not losing, then you are either making wrong estimates or your activity or not measuring and logging your food accurately. For example do you include alcohol. Do you include coffees with milk etc. Do you estimate the weight or quantity of your food or do you weigh it.

Studies show that most people do not report their food accurately and tend to under report.

The thing is consistency counts. When i first started dieting, i used the estimated calories to eat on mfp so i ate 1650 to start with. I didn't log my food in mfp except on the odd occasions.

I just kept a food diary and weighed myself every day. With that record of not counting calories but with daily weighings and only using the calorie counter as a rough guide, i lost nearly all the weight i had to lose in 3 months. I lost about 20 pounds i think.

All calculators are approximate but they are still helpful, all of them. Its how you apply them that matters.

I agree though that the 1200 recommendation is not a great idea. That is a one size fits all approach. It makes no sense for someone who is 250 pounds to try to eat 1200 calories a day. That's just madness, even if they can add a few more calories for taking a 30 minute walk.

REduce your calories as little as possible and when you get a stall after a period of steady falls, reduce your calories/food intake a little bit more.

Failing all that, try the 5:2 diet. It involves 2 days of fasting on 500 calories per week. the rest of the week you can eat normally up to your TDEE.

I'm really liking the fasting because it cuts your appetite if you eat good quality food on fast days. If you want to try this, there is a group here on this site, or go to Dr Mosley's site called the fasting diet or buy his book. But also look for the you tube video of the tv program. Its called eat fast and live longer. Its very interesting and worthwhile watching but you will still need the how to of it which you can get from the FAQ on the fasting diet website.

Maxmising nutrition, especially fibre foods like vegetables fruit and beans lentils etc makes losing weight a lot easier and its very healthy. Take a look at this show on youtube: Catalyst - Gut Reaction. It will persuade you to eat more vegies and high fibre foods for the rest of your life.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

This is part of the appeal... the tracking.

I think the TDEE method makes logical sense. I felt pretty low on energy the past two weeks eating only 1200 cals, and although I managed to get exercise in most days, my runs were slower and felt heavier and my get-up-and-go was pretty much gone.

But again, like I said, it feels counter-intuitive!

Lots of people already mentioned that the difference between MFP and TDEE isn't huge, which is true. The issue with MFP is that most people choose "lose 2lbs a week," and usually don't eat back their exercise calories. So they are at an even lower deficit than needed. And TDEE-20% is generally supposed to be enough of a deficit to lose ONE lb a week. You could easily wind up deciding "hey I want to lose 2lbs a week" and calculate how much of a deficit you need from your TDEE to accomplish that. The difference would be that this time it would include the exercise calories most people don't eat back.

But I use TDEE -20% myself, always have. Much easier to track how results are going by being consistent in my intake - I'm consistent with my exercise, so if I'm eating different amounts of food every day how would I know whether the amount I eat is working?

I'd recommend trying a few calculators to see how they differ, and average them out if you'd like. Remove 20% from it, and if you're losing more than a lb a week, add 100 cals in and keep monitoring. When you increase yo will see a slight rise or maintenance in your weight, it's temporary.