Anyone do cheat days?

Options
Hi there. I am gluten and dairy free 6 days out of the week. But I do so love (real) ice cream and (real) baked sweets so I give myself one day a week to sneak in some of that garbage and go over my calorie limit too. I was curious how many of you have a scheduled "cheat day" in your week? If so tell me about it.

Replies

• DaveDeLange
    Options
    Presumably you mean a day with a cheat meal? Some people go absolutely berzerk on a cheat and gorge themselves all day.

I lost weight before having a cheat meal once a week, usually a large pizza. It didn't seem to do any harm.

Other times I have abused it and felt like ice cream one day and thought I would make that my "cheat day." Trouble is, there would be an awful lot of "cheat days."

If you can keep it to a cheat meal once a week, it's fine imo.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I do not. If I want a treat of some sort I fit it in to my calories, thus ensuring I am always at a deficit. "cheat" implies you are doing something bad or wrong. Food is not "bad" or "wrong".
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I do not. If I want a treat of some sort I fit it in to my calories, thus ensuring I am always at a deficit. "cheat" implies you are doing something bad or wrong. Food is not "bad" or "wrong".

^^^ That!
  • PlantGrrrl
    PlantGrrrl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Same with me. I just calculate the calories of my "cheat" and throw it into my log for the day.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    If that's how you define cheating then I cheat almost every single day.
  • SteveMoto
    SteveMoto Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I read a book recently that had a snapshot of how some top level pro runners and triathletes eat. They have treats on their schedule too but it's part of their regular for that day. Are you allergic to gluten or dairy?
  • summer92008
    Options
    I have one day every 2 weeks or so where I eat whatever I please but stay within my maintenance calories. This is usually eating what I normally eat, but having a blizzard with it. (600 calories. I know, that's a lot. But I love my blizzards). I have lost 10 lbs in 2 months and am half way to my goal! So it works as long as you don't go over your maintenance calories.
  • RedArizona5
    RedArizona5 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I used to be really good on on giving myself cheat days but then i kinda ate 1 -3 things i shouldn't have daily and then I talked with my brother and I have decided no more cheat days.
    Everything in moderation and no deprivation and eating as healthy as I can in the mean is the best life I can offer for my body so I don't one day just binge off everything that is bad and possibly not stop…yeah I don't want to binge because I didn't let myself have some of something I shouldn't be eating….
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    every day is cheat day.
  • harrynich
    harrynich Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    A cheat day would do me in. Just because I'm wired that way, not because there's a way to do it right and a way to cheat.
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    About once a month I have a takeaway pizza that lasts me two days, but also destroys my total calories for them :laugh:

Hey, my wife and I work hard, so payday pizza is a treat for us. Two days out of the month isn't going to derail my progress, and chances are I went to the gym/work on one of those days anyway. Oh, and yes, I log it.
  • BootCampLola
    BootCampLola Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day every 1-2 weeks where I don't count calories at all and eat whatever I feel like eating, as long as I just stay in my calorie limit the all th other days.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Question: Why are you dairy and gluten free if these foods don't cause you intestinal distress? I'm guessing they don't if you purposely eat them on your "cheat" days.
  • RipperSB
    RipperSB Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I've said it before and I'll say it again - It's only cheating if you don't log it. Eat it, log it and move on!
  • felblossom
    felblossom Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I don't call them cheat days, but I have some days that are in the red, yes. I also have some days that are way under target.
    I see it as a weekly goal, as long as my red days don't put me over my weekly score then I go with it :P
  • toughmudderMN
    toughmudderMN Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I used to bu then I realized the only thing that I was cheating was myself and my goals.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Sometimes for special occasions I'll go over my calorie goal and just have a good time. My wife's bday is this weekend so while I'm watching what I'm eating carefully up until then I'm not going to worry so much about it when we're celebrating and having a good time.

On this diet you can do it, if you fall off the horse just get back on. One day or one bad week will not offset the benefits of calorie counting for a lifetime.

Also, individual foods themselves are not restricted and you should not think of it as cheating. I have Popsicle ice cream bars in my freezer that I eat just about everyday and I'm not breaking my calorie goal or macros having them.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    No...if I want something I make every attempt to fit it in my calories. If I go over once in awhile it's ok. Personally if I deny myself occasional treats I am not successful.
  • Natasha_Fit_Fab
    Natasha_Fit_Fab Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily have a cheat day...but I do allow myself one day or one meal out the wk that I don't have to cook and I can go get my hoagie sandwich from my favorite deli...when I do that I am mindful that day to pay attention to my other snacks and meals for that day.