Acid in Tomato

Options
laurenk182004
laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
Does anyone know how to reduce the acidity of tomatoes? I was given a bunch of tomatoes and I have ulcers so last night I woke up in agony. I LOVE tomatoes and I know that sugar can cut acidity, but there has to be another way? Thanks guys! I still have a bunch I need to use up :)

Replies

• laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know how to reduce the acidity of tomatoes? I was given a bunch of tomatoes and I have ulcers so last night I woke up in agony. I LOVE tomatoes and I know that sugar can cut acidity, but there has to be another way? Thanks guys! I still have a bunch I need to use up :)
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Found this on another message board...KitchenAid Conversations, I believe. I saved this a long time ago, because I have the same problem. Hope it helps!

Are you looking to reduce the acidic taste? Or do you want to decrease the amount of acid?

If you want to reduce the acidic taste, add a small amount of sugar or brown sugar. You don't need a lot, just enough so that the acid isn't as strong, but you shouldn't really taste the sugar.

If you are looking to reduce the amount of acid, you don't really have a lot of options. Some people try cooking the acid out, and cook the tomatoes all day. However, that really only concentrates the amount of acid - it doesn't cook off. So shorter cooking times are better (an hour and a half or less, for example).

One thing you can do is to squeeze out the juice from the tomatoes before you begin. Most of the time when you cook tomatoes for a long period of time, you are trying to thicken them. Removing the juice first helps you to cook them a shorter amount of time since you don't have to cook off so much liquid. Plus, the liquid is rather acidic, so it is better to remove it if you are looking to reduce acid.

Also, peel and seed the tomatoes. (If you squeeze out the juice, most of the time you squeeze out the seeds at the same time). Three things contribute to the acidity of the tomato: the peel, the seeds and the juice.

If you are strictly talking about acidic flavor, you can go with the sugar. However, if you are talking about upset stomach or heartburn from too much acid, then I would suggest peeling, seeding and squeezing the juice out of the tomatoes, then cooking them for a relatively short amount of time.

Good luck!