Subway Salads?

Options
So I've only ever eaten Subway's subs...turkey and ham or just plain ham on wheat bread. No cheese. No condiments. Pickles, spinach, tomatoes, and cucumbers. And a bag of baked lays.

This is a low-cal meal, but honestly, I'm getting a little tired of it and was looking into getting a salad instead. But I don't know how big they are, etc. I would get a ham and turkey salad with spinach, cucumbers, banana peppers, and carrots. The lowest cal dressing seems to be honey mustard.

Any opinions or experiences with these salads? They seem to be super low-cal, but I'd like some opinions before I dish out $7 for a simple salad that may not be as filling as my $4.75 sub.

Replies

• skidd93
    skidd93 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The salad is very filling however, you get hungry again after 2-3 hours because of the very very low carbs.
  • MomforNoah
    Options
    I love them! They way they chop it all up I don't have to use dressing :)
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    The salad is very filling however, you get hungry again after 2-3 hours because of the very very low carbs.

As long as you put on fat and protein in it, this is not the case. In fact, its eating a lot of carbs that will leave you hungry in a short amount of time which is why you eat protein and fats too.

I get Subway salads and as long as they arent stingy on the toppings (which varies by each store and the employee), I think its worth it.
    Here's a tip: Get half shredded lettuce and half spinach if you don't like only spinach as the main green. I find I don't get that weird film feeling on my teeth from the raw spinach but still the nutrients.

I get the turkey, a small amount of shredded mozz, veggies, and then use one of their sauces as the dressing (I love a little chipotle southwest and full fat ranch. They only have the fat free packets at the location I go to so I usually ask for the dressing in containers otherwise it can be drowning in sauce).
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

As long as you put on fat and protein in it, this is not the case. In fact, its eating a lot of carbs that will leave you hungry in a short amount of time which is why you eat protein and fats too.

Wrong. Totally depends on the individual. I need complex carbs to feel satisfied and full.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Just had a turkey one with honey mustard, they're great.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I love Subway salads! Ham or turkey usually for me loaded with veggies and a small amount of mayo.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    I love Subway salads. They are really fantastic. Chicken, and all the veggies. All of them. I'm that girl. The pepper relish works great as a spicy dressing type thing. :)

And I find they're really filling, but that's because I'm consuming such a volume of roughage, and I do single chicken.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I do the double chicken with extra bacon and cheese. and I add my own dressing.

worth it!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

Not if you add fats and protein to it! I LOVE my double chicken salad with swiss, ranch and avocado!
  • RabbitLost
    RabbitLost Posts: 333 Member
    Options

Wrong. Totally depends on the individual. I need complex carbs to feel satisfied and full.

Totally with you on this. If I don't have a good dose of complex carbs. I do not feel full. That's why salads are generally ineffective for me.
  • TXRanchGirl
    Options
    Oh yes, love them! I have them add in the grilled chicken, cucumbers, peppers and a pinch of italian dressing. And Jalapenos or Advocado..depending on my mood..:)
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I only like the double chopped chicken salad, for some reason. One of my difficulties with salad is the sometimes really large pieces of lettuce or greens - I need it pretty much chopped up fine. My husband winces when he sees me eating it - calls it "baby food consistency" - but I love it.
  • mrsmitchell0510
    mrsmitchell0510 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    If you get your salad "chopped" I recommend eating it right away. I got one to-go this past weekend, got it chopped, and by the time I got to eat it (about an hour or so later) it was a soggy mess and just not appetizing at all! Other than that, I've got no complaints about them!
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I personally enjoy them and they are very low calorie. just be sure to have your afternoon snack handy. You know their bread is one ingredient off from yoga mat, right?? they say they are going to change that formula and I hope they do, but for now, I'd try the salads and you'll see they are pretty tasty.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    It's the sandwich without the bread, or am I way off base here?

yeah, more or less you're exactly right.

You can have your salad any way you want a sandwich... just in a bowl with no bread. And you don't toast a salad.

As for me, I tend to get a salad if I'm not as hungry. I find the sandwiches are a bit more filling the way that I get them. I'm not huge on iceberg lettuce, so I get tons of spinach instead.
  • Cindyloo01
    Cindyloo01 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    The Fat free Italian dressing is good. You have to ask for it. It is only 15 calories per packet. They can make any of their sandwiches a salad besides the Chopped salads.
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I had one yesterday and today.

Double Chicken (strips) chopped, all veggies with a tiny squirt of oil and vinegar. It was pretty tasty and I felt fulfilled after eating it, and I'm not a little dude.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I personally enjoy them and they are very low calorie. just be sure to have your afternoon snack handy. You know their bread is one ingredient off from yoga mat, right?? they say they are going to change that formula and I hope they do, but for now, I'd try the salads and you'll see they are pretty tasty.

HILARIOUS!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: