knee injury +lunges

Options
I had knee surgery 2 years ago after physical therapy its been a long road to recovery and to feel great, I used to LOVE to run I was in the military and now im 50 pounds heavier than I was. I started up running again, and dancing and I am starting to feel great I am weight lifting and started to notice I am getting stronger. The problem is I can leg press 300 pounds EASY I have always had strong legs and my knees feel fine. Squats feel great, leg curls, leg lifts basically everything on my list for lower body day feels great now. EXCEPT I cannot do lunges I feel like my knee is going to explode its very unbalanced and painful to even try. This really really confuses me how the hell can I do every other leg exercise and feel great but cant do lunges? Even if I try to do them BEFORE my other work outs after warming up I cant do it. Any one have any advice?

Replies

• MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I would say just don't do them. You've already got enough leg lifts. If you really feel like adding something else, maybe try glute bridges, hip thrusts, or Bulgarian split squats.
  • mrsmammahunter
    mrsmammahunter Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I am kind of a stubborn person knowing I can't do them bugs me and makes me want to find a way or at least a reason why I can't do them. -sigh-
  • mrsmammahunter
    Options
    I would say just don't do them. You've already got enough leg lifts. If you really feel like adding something else, maybe try glute bridges, hip thrusts, or Bulgarian split squats.
    I will deff google those I have no idea what any of them are lol
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    That definitely sounds like a form issue. However, which knee is hurting? I'm assuming it it the one not near the ground. Then I'd blame form, but if it is the one near the ground, it is just the pressure being too much for the knee in that position? I'd suggest you don't do them either. Everything points to your body not liking the lunge. The other exercises seem to be hitting the targets, why bother risking injury again if you don't have to?

Good luck with your search!:flowerforyou:
  • mrsmammahunter
    Options
    That definitely sounds like a form issue. However, which knee is hurting? I'm assuming it it the one not near the ground. Then I'd blame form, but if it is the one near the ground, it is just the pressure being too much for the knee in that position? I'd suggest you don't do them either. Everything points to your body not liking the lunge. The other exercises seem to be hitting the targets, why bother risking injury again if you don't have to?

Good luck with your search!:flowerforyou:

Thank you I think I shall have to admit defeat, its hard to explain kind of like a bucket list to be able to do all the things I used to. It only hurts the knee that got injured doesn't matter which side I lunge that knee hurts.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    It's not DEFEAT.

I don't lunge.

I've had major knee surgery and I squat, deadlift, blah blah. Lunges are problematic for me. Mentally & physically. So .. I don't lunge. Tons of alternatives.
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I'm the same as you, my knees are shot but I can do those other exercises, just not the lunge, I think it just has to do with more weight being applied to a smaller point, rather than your entire lower body vs just one leg/one knee..either way, whatever the case maybe, lunges hurt me and I'd rather just not do them. Instead I focus more on squats, bridges, deads etc..
  • Tenuses
    Tenuses Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have damaged cartilage in one knee which makes it hard for me to do forward lunges. However I find that I can do static or backwards lunges; it doesn't seem to put the same amount of force through my bad knee.