Why should i increase daily calories with 10 loss

Options
Can anyone help me understand why i should add calories after a 10 lb loss? i also upped my activity level to more accurately depict what is going on now. but a 200 daily calorie increase seems like a lot to me.
Thanks in advance for the insight.
Linda

Replies

• martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Can anyone help me understand why i should add calories after a 10 lb loss? i also upped my activity level to more accurately depict what is going on now. but a 200 daily calorie increase seems like a lot to me.
    Thanks in advance for the insight.
    Linda

Need a little more info Linda, what's your current height / weight and what are your goals / what have you been doing so far?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    You upped your activity level...you're going to get more calories with an increased activity level. What did you up it from and what did you up it to?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Can you describe more specifically what happened? MFP will not (or should not) ask you if you want to update and then move your calories up after a loss unless you changed your per week loss goal or had a custom goal that was below whatever MFP calculates for your loss goal.

If you log exercise it will give you more calories based on that exercise, since under the MFP method you are meant to eat back some calories when you exercise to create a portion of your deficit, thereby keeping the overall deficit the same.

(In other words, if 2200 is maintenance, you would lose 2 lb/week by eating 1200 and not exercising or by eating 1500 and exercising for about 300 calories/day, on average.)
  • lindainprogress
    lindainprogress Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    when i logged my curent weight it told me i had lost 10 lbs since i last updated and would i like to recalculate that now. so i did. i went from light activity to moderate.
    I am 5'5 currently 230 goal is 150

thanks everyone
  • lindainprogress
    Options
    bump helpl please
  • Aero1dynamic
    Aero1dynamic Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    when i logged my curent weight it told me i had lost 10 lbs since i last updated and would i like to recalculate that now. so i did. i went from light activity to moderate.

thanks everyone

Ok, so what I see here is, you increased your ACTIVITY level because of exercise and you shouldn't do that. MFP calculates for your daily routine, NOT for exercise. Exercise is logged separately, by you.

So if you are still sedentary, outside of your exercising, that's what you should set your activity level at. Because you increased your activity level on MFP, MFP assumes you are burning more calories and has added them to your daily total to make sure you eat what is necessary to fuel your body at a higher activity level. I hope this all makes sense =)
  • lindainprogress
    Options

thanks everyone

Ok, so what I see here is, you increased your ACTIVITY level because of exercise and you shouldn't do that. MFP calculates for your daily routine, NOT for exercise. Exercise is logged separately, by you.

So if you are still sedentary, outside of your exercising, that's what you should set your activity level at. Because you increased your activity level on MFP, MFP assumes you are burning more calories and has added them to your daily total to make sure you eat what is necessary to fuel your body at a higher activity level. I hope this all makes sense =)

yes, actually that made perfect sense- thanks for clearing it up for me
  • Aero1dynamic
    Aero1dynamic Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    YVW =)