Getting drunk without getting fat!

Options
Hi,

I am not a huge drinker but I am have been trying to be careful about my calories most days and I'd like to stay on track. However, I am supposed to attend a big party tonight and I'd like to be able to have fun (i.e. get drunk) but still be smart about it.

What is your go to drink? Light beer? Vodka mixers? What gets you drunk without putting you over the (calorie) limit?

Replies

• staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    The best bang for your calorie buck is to do liquor mixed with Diet Soda. Yum!
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Light beer or vodka and a non-calorie mixer. I'm saving about 700 calories for tonight myself. Going to stick to light beers.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    First, its' one night and as you said you don't do it that often, so go have fun! Second part, shots of tequila should do it, laughs ( I don't drink anymore but ya gotta love tequila). Alternately as aforementioned liquor and diet, stay away from the sugary mixers and you're golden.
  • tabicatinthehat
    tabicatinthehat Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    LOL I have this website open in another tab right now, I swear!

http://getdrunknotfat.com/
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Key word is diet soda (personally I prefer something like sugar free redbull). But if there's no diet drink to go with, be careful. I was at a bar recently that didn't have any diet mixers so I used cranberry juice. The calories added up pretty quickly. Although the bar was so terrible I left early anyway and stayed within my limits.
  • tabicatinthehat
    tabicatinthehat Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Key word is diet soda (personally I prefer something like sugar free redbull). But if there's no diet drink to go with, be careful. I was at a bar recently that didn't have any diet mixers so I used cranberry juice. The calories added up pretty quickly. Although the bar was so terrible I left early anyway and stayed within my limits.

Nowhere I go EVER has sugar free redbull. Makes me sad. D:
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    If its BYOB I like a light berry margarita by Jose Cuervo. For mixed drinks, I like flavored rum & diet soda. I can't stand beer though...

Things to avoid: mindless snacking. And stay hydrated: drink water before/during/after.
  • arwFTW
    arwFTW Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Yep! I'm mostly worried the snacking that goes along with the drunkenness. Ughhh. But mind over matter!!!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Yep! I'm mostly worried the snacking that goes along with the drunkenness. Ughhh. But mind over matter!!!

Either "save up" calories throughout the week (e.g. eat 100 fewer cals every day) or just eat a bit less during the day you will be drinking (eat almost entirely nutrient-dense foods). Or just don't worry about one night of drinking.

But I never really was one to eat much while or after drinking. Usually I'd not eat a lot during the day so that when I'd drink I could get drunk more quickly (I'm already a lightweight, but less food = quicker drunk), then I wouldn't be hungry while drinking, and the next day I was usually so hungover that I didn't get out of bed enough to bother eating proper food. I didn't gain during my drunkest period of my life and I wasn't counting cals lol.

But now I'm not really that into drinking. If I do drink, it's one mixed drink, or I will do shots. Vodka shots FTW.
  • MissLizzy1985
    Options
    9 times out of ten, I will end up at Whataburger after a night of drinking. Lol
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    if it's not a routine kind of a thing, it's really not a big deal...you aren't going to go get **** faced and put on 100 Lbs or anything. You don't get fat overnight, even if you overdo it.
  • prettigirl01
    prettigirl01 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    if you don't drink too often then I would say don't worry about the calories. go and have a good time and work it off the rest of the week. plus its not going to make you gain that much weight to where you will get "fat"
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I generally stick with wine. I also try to avoid drinking too much because, for me, my will power flags and I eat things that I wish later I hadn't. You don't need to "get drunk" to have fun but it's certainly fine to drink -- just plan for it, log your drink calories, minimize the overeating/overdrinking damage and then get back on track the next day.
  • OnTheGround
    Options
    I just read a pin on pinterest that said whiskey and diet soda is the most bang for your buck. which is lucky for me that's my drink! :)
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Any hard liquor that isn't over-the-top dark has the same number of calories (exceptions being things like dark /spiced rum, gold tequila, bourbon, maybe also scotch, not sure). Anything clear (vodka, clear rum, gin) and whiskey (think weak stuff like Jim Beam, Grandad's or Ancient Age) have the same approx. 100 calories per 1.5 oz. shot. Use club soda, diet soda, low-cal juice, crystal light lemonade or unsweetened tea as a mixer.

I think red wine is next best. If you can handle Miller 64, that's super low (to get drunk, add clear liquor shots).
  • mrsmammahunter
    mrsmammahunter Posts: 221 Member
    Options

I like to drink I'm not an alcoholic ;) but I like to have a good time.
    This has been my biggest problem takes a bit to get me sloshed and counting calories while drunk sounds hard
    so I haven't attempted. I would say a flavored vodka on ice and bring like carrot sticks or something to much on when you get the nibbles ;)
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options

I find that drinking a lot of water ahead of time would prevent the mindless snacking.

I haven't drank in a really long time. Liver enzymes stay high for health reasons, and getting drunk is not a pleasurable experience at all anymore (think constantly feeling like you're falling), but I do remember some of the tricks. That was one of them. Staying hydrated is important.

Vodka and diet soda was my go to. Although if it's just one night, I wouldn't stress about it. One night of fun isn't going to set you back any unless you make it a habit. Don't restrict to get those drinks in. Drinking on an empty stomach is bad, too. But save a little bit of calories for it. And most importantly, have fun.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Craft beer and running. Problem solved.

beer_race.jpg
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Craft beer and running. Problem solved.

beer_race.jpg

We have a second.....all those in favor(burp) say. . . . .
  • blondemotivation
    Options
    Hello! My go to drink is vodka shots (generally the lowest calorie content as far as liquor goes) then I have it with my diet 0 carb monster (the one in the white can) its called absolute zero and its sooooo good. It doesn't have a nasty bitter flavor alot of energy drinks have and its not too sweet. However I know its not good for me I just can't beat the whole 0 calorie aspect. Anywho, if I were you I would stop at a gas station or grocery store on the way and pick one up to bring in my purse to the party. That way you already have it with you to start takin shots. ;)

I will be drinking it myself tonight when I get off work.
    woohoo for Fridays! Lol