Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Barbell upright rows.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I do barbell upright rows
    barbell military overhead presses
    side and front lateral raises with dumb bells.

I do pyramid sets with compounding weight.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    incline front lateral raise

wide over head standing press

arnold's

<3 shoulders.

but you aren't going to be getting bigger on a deficit.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    The only shoulder exercise I regularly do is barbell overhead press (and they get hit in bench press too which I do frequently) as I mostly just stick to the main exercises but I'm more than happy with my shoulder development. It's the best exercise I've ever done IMO for them and it's the same story for my partner - he only ever does bench/ohp/squat/deadlift and his shoulders and upper back are probably his most muscular areas. Sometimes I think it's the simple things that people overlook, but do wonders.

Take into account though that if you're in a deficit, you likely won't be gaining any muscle, just holding onto what you have. If you want to increase the definition and show off your muscular shoulders, that's great. Getting leaner will help that, but if you want more shoulder muscle in the first place you're going to have to be eating at the very least maintenance, preferably more. It's more important IMO than the type of exercises you do.
  • Zoe_lifts
    Zoe_lifts Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    pull ups? :)
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    Options
    If you like horses....I used to help my daughter muck/clean a large barn worth of stalls so she could ride. I did this with her about 2- 3 days a week. Had to sweep the central hall mat after as well. BEST my shoulders ever looked. We did Mondays as one of the days. Sunday was the only day they never mucked over there so Monday was the toughest day. I have worked out many years with weights and trainers etc. too, but those 5-6 months did the best for me.
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I recently started doing push ups made a big difference!!
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I like a couple of kettle bell exercises that involve a squat and an overhead press. I do things like that between free weight squat and upper body days. I get to target my butt and shoulders again, but in a different way. Does your gym have TRX suspension cables?
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Like a couple of people said before it doesn't matter what exercise you do if you are in a calorie deficit the best you are going to do is maintain the muscle you have, you aren't going to build any muscle, be it shoulders or anything else, while in a deficit.

Having said that, you should be doing everything you can to hold on to the muscle you have while in a deficit, but don't expect to build any.
  • smarieallen85
    Options
    Like a couple of people said before it doesn't matter what exercise you do if you are in a calorie deficit the best you are going to do is maintain the muscle you have, you aren't going to build any muscle, be it shoulders or anything else, while in a deficit.

Having said that, you should be doing everything you can to hold on to the muscle you have while in a deficit, but don't expect to build any.

So I've seen this stated a few times. I'm not trying to rile anyone up, I'm just ignorant. I'm eating at a deficit and weight training. I am clearly seeing muscle definition. It's not in my mind. Others see it as well. So what does this mean? I'm not gaining muscle but....?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

So I've seen this stated a few times. I'm not trying to rile anyone up, I'm just ignorant. I'm eating at a deficit and weight training. I am clearly seeing muscle definition. It's not in my mind. Others see it as well. So what does this mean? I'm not gaining muscle but....?

You might be gaining a little muscle (newbie gains) but mainly you are removing the "fat blanket" that's been hiding your muscle definition.

OHP, front raises, lateral races. But yeah, OP, you might not see any real gains until you hit your goal and either eat at maintenance or start a bulk cycle.
  • smarieallen85
    Options

You might be gaining a little muscle (newbie gains) but mainly you are removing the "fat blanket" that's been hiding your muscle definition.

OHP, front raises, lateral races. But yeah, OP, you might not see any real gains until you hit your goal and either eat at maintenance or start a bulk cycle.

That's what I was thinking. Thanks. Good bye fat blanket!