Spin instructor touched resistance

Options
I really enjoy spinning. A month ago, one of the spinning instructors decided I wasn't working hard enough so she went to touch the resistance. I swatted her hand away and turned it up myself. To my shock, the next day I got a call from a manager saying the instructor had reported me, claiming I hit her and it really hurt.
I explained that the instructor had gone to touch the resistance and that was why I'd gone to brush her hand away. The manager said that the next time I was in the class I should apologise to the instructor. I decided to bypass those classes.

This week, that instructor was covering for someone else. She pulled me out at the start and said she was "surprised she hadn't hit me back" and had asked for my membership to be revoked. I tried to explain that it was clearly a misunderstanding but was told that she didn't like my attitude and she viewed my general gym demeanour as being a bit of a bully.

My general gym demeanour had been to say to her that I liked her classes best of all. She had agreed with me that another spin instructor was generally an "easy ride" compared to what she did.

I don't want to cause a further fuss at the gym but I didn't appreciate the way she spoke to me and actively feel like I can't attend her classes.

Spinning instructors aren't supposed to touch your resistance dial, are they?

Replies

• MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy spinning. A month ago, one of the spinning instructors decided I wasn't working hard enough so she went to touch the resistance. I swatted her hand away and turned it up myself. To my shock, the next day I got a call from a manager saying the instructor had reported me, claiming I hit her and it really hurt.
    I explained that the instructor had gone to touch the resistance and that was why I'd gone to brush her hand away. The manager said that the next time I was in the class I should apologise to the instructor. I decided to bypass those classes.

This week, that instructor was covering for someone else. She pulled me out at the start and said she was "surprised she hadn't hit me back" and had asked for my membership to be revoked. I tried to explain that it was clearly a misunderstanding but was told that she didn't like my attitude and she viewed my general gym demeanour as being a bit of a bully.

My general gym demeanour had been to say to her that I liked her classes best of all. She had agreed with me that another spin instructor was generally an "easy ride" compared to what she did.

I don't want to cause a further fuss at the gym but I didn't appreciate the way she spoke to me and actively feel like I can't attend her classes.

Spinning instructors aren't supposed to touch your resistance dial, are they?

I'd be pissed she touched my resistance setting. It's one thing to tell you to push harder, it's another to touch your dial.

you have a few options
    1) Stay at the gym, stick by your guns, refuse to apologize and go to senior management telling them that a) hands off b) grow up and c) make it up to me or I'm going to leave. And if they don't make it up to you, then leave.

2) Stay at the gym, let it go... and seriously, let it go. Don't brood or complain to anyone who will listen. Don't look for a forum at your gym for vindication. Go to whatever class you want. You are paying for the membership. You have a right to attend classes, but if you are going to stay, then get over it and use your words next time.

3) Leave the gym quietly and find one you feel comfortable with

4) Leave the gym with a lot of noise, protest.... effectively rage quitting

or some combination of the above.

I'd probaly pick 3.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Unless your spin instructor was hitting you there was no reason to hit her. If she turned your resistance dial and you didn't like it, the proper response would be to turn it back and ask her not to do that again.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I've been in classes where I've saw instructors do that, I've also seen that change the resistance on the ellipticals during certain cardio classes as well. I have had trainers and coaches adjust the resistance on machines that I was on. I didn't mind it at all and looked at it like a challenge.
    But I do think this instructor may have taken what you did, way too far. Unless you really struck her and hurt her, I don't think she needed to take it to this level. It sounds a bit dramatic on her part.
    personally,I would just continue to avoid her classes and just go to different classes for now.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Did you make contact with her when you were swatting her hand away? Because really..you can't do that. I know she's not supposed to touch your bike, but blocking her hand might have been a better choice. UNless I'm misunderstanding what you mean by swatting?
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I've had a number of spin instructors touch my resistance dial a number of times (up and down). I honestly don't see anything wrong with it.

It sounds like she overstepped her bounds though by telling you that she didn't like your attitude after you told her that it was a misunderstanding. I've had instructors complain to me about other members before and I think it's inappropriate, but I'd be appalled if they did it to any member's face.

I'm not a fan of drama, so I would personally just let it blow over. If it's really bothering you, maybe write a note of apology explaining. Or just keep going to her class and eventually maybe it will blow over...?

But yeah, I don't see a problem with the instructor touching your dial. Maybe next time just tell them that you're not comfortable with it. Hitting another person (even as a "swat") is never ok.

edited to clarify: If you were blocking her hand then she overstepped. If you swatted her as in hitting her, that's just not ok ever...
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Unless your spin instructor was hitting you there was no reason to hit her. If she turned your resistance dial and you didn't like it, the proper response would be to turn it back and ask her not to do that again.

Agreed. I don't think the instructor should have touched your resistance dial without asking, but you shouldn't have swatted her either. Both of you should have used your words first.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,691 Member
    Options
    THIS. Lol, if I see a client looks like the resistance seems easy for them accomplish regardless of what approach (high reps, low reps, etc.), I increase it. If they hit me for doing it (intentionally and not in a playful manner), I'd take offense to it. If they told me they felt uncomfortable at the higher increase, I'd apologize and return it back to the original.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options

I agree with this... It all seems so silly me and swatting her is a bit rough dont ya think " instructors are there to challenge you your instructor was doing her job if you didn't like you should of told her no.
  • crys39
    crys39 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    ...I don't see a problem with the instructor touching your dial. Maybe next time just tell them that you're not comfortable with it. Hitting another person (even as a "swat") is never ok.

^^This is my take on it. I honestly don't see what the big deal is with the instructor touching the dial but if it's something you dislike maybe it would have been a better option to just tell her "Don't touch it, I'll increase the resistance myself". No physical contact necessary.
  • rachelg145
    rachelg145 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    If you had a chatty relationship with the instructor and she knew you liked her class a lot because it was challenging she probably just felt comfortable giving you a little extra attention and increasing your work load. It's not like she injured you. She probably thought she was giving you extra attention and then you hit her? I think swatting her hand was really inappropriate. She is being super childish by not getting over it and moving on though...she should not be confronting you. You should shake hands and move on. Buy her a coffee after the next class and smile and remember why you used to LIKE her.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    You're both grown ups, you swatted her hand, she got all hurt & now you're a gym bully :ohwell: I can imagine how uncomfortable the whole thing might be.

Some class instructors take their positions very seriously & I'm not really sure why this is beginning to sound like a H.S. suspension case =/ but since your mom can't get you out of it, if you like the class as much as you say you do, I would apologize suck it up. Being a grown up & all :grumble:

However, the next time she touched the resistance, (since this is a deal breaker for you) I would call it a day & take a different spin class. If she continues to make it an issue, I would make a complaint to the management.
  • HouseOfMirth
    Options
    What I mean by swatting was that I saw her hand move towards the dial - it was almost on it - so I blocked it with my hand and pushed away slightly to move hers back. I didn't actually hit it.
    I thought if she'd been that bothered she would have said something directly to me after the class. I did try to apologise to her this week, saying that we'd clearly viewed what happened differently. When she was trying to press for more from me, all I said was that she was entitled to her opinion. I reiterated that I'd always spoken highly of her and had enjoyed her classes.

I just don't feel comfortable anymore as we obviously recall what happened differently.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

Agreed. I don't think the instructor should have touched your resistance dial without asking, but you shouldn't have swatted her either. Both of you should have used your words first.

:laugh: :blushing:
    eta: annnnd your inside voices
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I say find another gym and tell them to stuff it. She acts like you clocked her in the jaw. I'd also make sure to tell everyone i know to avoid them and spread the word. If everyone is getting that bent out of shape with you swatting her i fear for the future of this country. That said i'd have told her to keep her hands off my settings and if that didn't work she'd gotten reported, but it sounds like the gym doesn't give a damn what their people do. I bet there's some safety violations going on at this place.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    the spin instructor sounds like a petty *****. good riddance to her.
  • HouseOfMirth
    Options
    To be honest, I expected the gym to side with the instructor. She works there, I'm just a client/customer. I did try to apologise but I didn't see why she had to have a go. I felt quite intimidated and like she wasn't listening to what I was saying.
    She's filling in for people all weekend so needless to say, I won't be going to spinning classes this weekend.

I have actively looked for alternative gyms as well but trying to find close ones that offer regular spinning classes isn't that easy.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I expected the gym to side with the instructor. She works there, I'm just a client/customer. I did try to apologise but I didn't see why she had to have a go. I felt quite intimidated and like she wasn't listening to what I was saying.
    She's filling in for people all weekend so needless to say, I won't be going to spinning classes this weekend.

I have actively looked for alternative gyms as well but trying to find close ones that offer regular spinning classes isn't that easy.

There are a few apps that do some sort of spinning program on them. Why not try those out and do it on your own instead of in a class? Or maybe find something else to do instead of spinning?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't give it anymore thought. Clearly she's just snippy, and won't accept your apology. Some people just like drama. Just spin on your own until classes with other instructors start up again. (just don't swat any more instructors Lol! :-)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    the spin instructor sounds like a petty *****. good riddance to her.
    Yeah, I'm thinking what was 'hurt' was her pride, from a participant shunning her correction in front of the rest of the class.

I probably would've let her adjust the knob while I stopped peddling and walked out. :laugh:
  • HouseOfMirth
    Options
    That's the main thing that they offer. I think there's some boot camp classes.
    I might just move gyms, probably easier for all concerned. It's just a shame because whenever I saw her we made conversation and I always raved about how good her classes were.