Is exercise really necessary

Options
If a person can lose weight by creating a calorie deficit why would they need to work out to lose weight?

Replies

• higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    To tone, trim and get fit.
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    You don't need to exercise to lose weight. Exercise is for health. Diet is for weightloss.
  • cookieinbk82
    cookieinbk82 Posts: 320 Member
    Options

Can a person lose weight by just dieting and not exercising?
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options

Can a person lose weight by just dieting and not exercising?

Yes. You can..
  • love8383
    love8383 Posts: 169
    Options
    Yes a person can lose weight by just eating less calories, but to do this most people would have to eat an unhealthy amount of calories under 1200 and essentially starve themselves thin. (most likely leads to bingeing and gaining any lost weight back)
  • tamlinhorne
    Options
    Good question! I would say the quality and the sustainability of the weight loss is different when you deprive your body of calories vs. actively burning them off. I also thing the mental difference is important. But that's just me.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    If a person can lose weight by creating a calorie deficit why would they need to work out to lose weight?
    To tone, trim, & get fit.
    What she said.
    Aerobic exercise has benefits beyond weight loss.
    In fact, exercise doesn't really cause weight loss, only maintains it.

"Most weight loss occurs because of decreased caloric intake.
    However, evidence shows the only way to maintain weight loss is to be engaged in regular physical activity."
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/index.html

Weightlifting maintains or gains muscle, and once the overlying fat is reduced you look mahvelous, besides being strong, moving easily.
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    You can but it's easier with exercise and your body will look better. Not to mention you'll be healthier.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    To lose weight no. To get fitter,healthier, and not end up looking like a smaller version of overweight self, yes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    If you like being squishy don't exercise.
  • cookieinbk82
    Options

What's wrong with a little squishiness now and then?
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with squishy but if you're trying to lose a lot of fat, and you do it without exercise, you aren't going to look as tight. I'm never going to have an *kitten* that doesn't jiggle, so I'm in the gym squatting every week with heavy weight to make sure it's at least a cute jiggle.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    You don't need to exercise to lose weight. People exercise to build endurance and strength, and get in shape.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options

Just answered your question. I did not give my opinion on whether it is wrong or not.
  • AdventureFreak
    AdventureFreak Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    If you aren't willing to do the work of exercise what would make you think you are prepared to do the work of eating as well as you would need to succeed on diet alone?
  • cookieinbk82
    Options

Just answered your question. I did not give my opinion on whether it is wrong or not.

I don't like squishiness either. I work out a lot.
  • cookieinbk82
    Options
    If you aren't willing to do the work of exercise what would make you think you are prepared to do the work of eating as well as you would need to succeed on diet alone?

I exercise almost everyday. I was just curious if a person can lose weight without exercise.
  • Sarahsteve7kids
    Sarahsteve7kids Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    You don't need to exercise to lose weight. Exercise is for health. Diet is for weightloss.

This^^^^! I lost the first 30 pounds effortlessly, I counted calories! I now exercise because it makes me feel better. I didn't get fat from lack of exercise, I got fat from over eating!!!
  • cosmiqrust
    cosmiqrust Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    exercise = more muscle, more muscle = more calories burned, more calories burned = more calories you can consume without feeling bad, ???????, profit

there's no rule saying you Have to exercise to lose weight. it just makes it 1000% easier to lose weight, feel better once it's of, and keep it off.