haunted house

Options
does anyone have an idea on the average calories burned while working at a haunted house?? or know any way to find out??

Replies

• nopotofgold
    nopotofgold Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    You would either have to do how much you walk with a step counter or a heart rate monitor. step counter would be cheaper to help give you an ideal.
  • Lelah77
    Lelah77 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I would wear a HRM under your costume. You can get one for $20. If you are moving about and sweating in a costume all night, you'll probably burn more than a pedometer can reliably tell you.

Congrats on the job.
  • VeggieKidMandy
    VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I work a haunted house every year and it honestly depends on how active you are. I know I literally chase people down hallways and am lifting heavy windows and slamming doors repeatedly etc etc. Plus Im in a full costume. Last year with worked a 7 hour shift 6 nights a week I burned anywhere between 1000 - 1500 calories per night . By the end of the 6 week I dropped 2 sizes. But like i said, it depends on how active you are. I know some people that sneak cheese burgers in and literally just say boo when people come around the corner. It all depends on how much you make of it.
  • nykismile
    nykismile Posts: 198
    Options
    I work at a haunted house every year! I have no idea how many calories it burns though. However many, it's physically and emotionally tolling. The place I work at locks us in our scare areas for five hours, one break inbetween. It's so fun but I'm physically unable to do basically anything the day after.

I'm considering buying one of those calorie burning monitors; I'm curious to know how much I'm burning!
  • nopotofgold
    nopotofgold Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I would wear a HRM under your costume. You can get one for $20. If you are moving about and sweating in a costume all night, you'll probably burn more than a pedometer can reliably tell you.

Congrats on the job.

I bought a cheap one and the chest strap broke the first time I took it to work out. Thats the only reason I am against the cheap ones. Plus they don't log the heart rate you have to constantly be looking at it. Might be hard while working.
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I work a haunted house every year and it honestly depends on how active you are. I know I literally chase people down hallways and am lifting heavy windows and slamming doors repeatedly etc etc. Plus Im in a full costume. Last year with worked a 7 hour shift 6 nights a week I burned anywhere between 1000 - 1500 calories per night . By the end of the 6 week I dropped 2 sizes. But like i said, it depends on how active you are. I know some people that sneak cheese burgers in and literally just say boo when people come around the corner. It all depends on how much you make of it.

This! Yes it totally depends on how active you are. If you are standing behind a wall slamming windows all day, not too much. But if you're running around covering a bunch of the house, jumping and sweating in a costume you will burn loads of calories! I would guess as much as a construction worker (I think I spotted Construction Worker as one of the MFP calorie counts).

My hubs used to run haunted houses and at times would cover the entire house for a shift when understaffed. He was full on freaking scary in the house and would run the entire time. Probably burned thousands of calories in a shift. The more energy you put into it, the scarier for customers and more cals burned!