Calories burned

Options
Hi,

When I go to the gym i go on the treadmill for 20 minutes and burn 80 calories, but when i take the dogs out for a walk, map my walk says i've burned 300-400 calories. Does anybody know why this is?

Gill

Replies

• Steve_Rance
    Options
    One, or both of them are incorrect :wink:
  • alexsondra34
    alexsondra34 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    does either of them take into account your height and weight? the more you weight, the more calories you burn, besides that different systems come up with different results, my stationary bike says i burnt 200 cal and mfp says 264, i just do the exercise to become healthier ( better circulation)and to build muscle (because muscle burns more energy and it tightens your skin and body shape) .

The calorie count is just a motivation, let's face it, it's a bit difficult to calculate exactly how much you are burning as this depends on your fitness level, muscle and fat ratios, what are you eating....etc.

your clothes are the best judge, if the trousers are losening up you are losing weight if they are tighter you are putting it on, even scales can be deceiving as they don't discrimanate between muscle and fat (not all, anyway).

Enjoy the exercise as a challenge, today you do 20 min, tomorrow it gets easier and do more and soon you start feeling great, with more energy and a spring in your step.

take care.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Different systems and maybe you are walking further or faster. Compare like with like.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    well you didn't burn 300/400 calories walking for 20 minutes (well it's pretty unlikely) so I'd suggest map my walk is wrong. They are in fact all estimates considering the accuracy of most machines in a gym i'd think they're both wrong