How long before metabolism slows when in a 500 cal deficit?

Options
I have been in a 500 calories deficit for 4 days and now am going to increase back to my maintenance calories. Have I slowed my metabolism by being in a 500 cal deficit for 4 days? I AM NOT TRYING TO LOOSE WEIGHT. I didn't have a choice but to go into this deficit but I won't bother going into the reasoning, too long.

Thanks!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you how long but it would be much longer than four days. Four days is like a good flu.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I understand it to be 12 days - that obviously could vary a couple days either way depending on the person and situation -
    so you are OK at 4 days - Eastcoast Jim
  • kennethshoe
    Options
    So 12 days before it slows down any? Thanks but mind if I ask where you got that information from? I have looked a lot on Google but I can't seem to find much...
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    After 3 months you're only looking at ~300 calorie metabolism reduction for a 25% calorie restriction. Don't know the time curve to get to that point.
  • kennethshoe
    Options
    So do you think I might be ok for 4 days? I'm planning on adding 500 back today to go to my maintenance and am really worried...
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    you'll be fine :-)
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    So 12 days before it slows down any? Thanks but mind if I ask where you got that information from? I have looked a lot on Google but I can't seem to find much...

I can't quote or remember where I read it, It was a few years ago - I was doing some research on re feed days / cheat days - how often to plan a high calorie or high carb day. I remember the 12 day number as to how long it takes the hypothalamus to reset your metabolism. With your 4 days just eat 1 or 2 big meals and move on. I cycle carbs and I have one or maybe 2 high carb/ cal meals per week. Today was a party with another M/C - I had 2 Wendy Hambugers on the way there (2 buns) at the party was Bar B Que pork , potato salad, Mac salad w/ crab, homemade bread & Choc layer cake, I skipped the veggies - a weeks worth of carbs - Eastcoast Jim