Burned calories correct?

hpsnickers1
hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I did the JD Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism for the first time yesterday. I couldn't finish it. I got about 33 minutes (including warm up and cool down). My HRM shows I burned 405 calories and that's minus resting calories. My heart rate got up to 190 at one point (my average was 156). Could this be right? I know the Timex HRM isn't the best. It only takes weight and maximum heart rate into account (no VO2, gender, height, etc). Can I really burn this many calories in only 1/2 hour?

Replies

• ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Yes you can depending on your fitness level age and weight. If your weigh more and your fitnes level is not that good your heart has to work harder meaning your burning more calories. Why quit you only had a few more min to go. I love that DVD
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    PS does your HR monitor have a chest strap? If not then it may be a higher number because they are as accurate as tthe one with
  • eleanoreb
    eleanoreb Posts: 621 Member
    hey
    how do you do minus resting calories?
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    *deleted this after rereading original post I realized I wrote about the wrong thing*
  • hpsnickers1
    Yes you can depending on your fitness level age and weight. If your weigh more and your fitnes level is not that good your heart has to work harder meaning your burning more calories. Why quit you only had a few more min to go. I love that DVD

I couldn't do it - I tried - I have mild Fibromyalgia. I got in 2 circuits, warm up, cool down, and I usually won't turn the HRM off until my heart rate is back to normal but it didn't want to happen yesterday so I finally turned it off when I hit 33 minutes. Each week I'm going to add another circuit. I'm having a very hard time getting past 20-30 minutes. I'm not overweight. I'm 40 and 130 pounds (5'2"). But my fitness level isn't good. I am a smoker (about 1/2 pack a day) - that could have something to do with the heart working so hard. (My plans are to quit but I have to do one step at a time. If I eat healthy and lose some weight then when I quit smoking I'll have a better chance at not gaining weight from it). I had bloodwork and blood pressure looked at in August when I found out I had Fibromyalgia. My heart rate is around 85 bpm (between 90-95 at work - not surprised). Everything came back normal.

I just want to make sure that the exercise calories I am logging are at least in a decent range so I'm not eating up calories I didn't burn.
  • hpsnickers1
    hey

I take the normal calories burned (MFP says 1520) divided by 24 (hours). = 63.3. Then take that and divide by 60 (minutes) = 1.05 (I round up to 1.05). That's my estimated calories burned per minute (doing nothing).

Then take the minutes of exercise (33 minutes) and multiply by 1.06 (or whatever yours is). = 35 calories.

I got this from another post. I don't remember who posted it but I am giving credit to the person who did.

The only issue with this is my HRM (chest strap) shows my burning between 3-4 per minute when I am just sitting. So I don't know if I should be subtracting more.
  • hpsnickers1
    PS does your HR monitor have a chest strap? If not then it may be a higher number because they are as accurate as tthe one with

It sure does. Timex T5G971 Unisex Sports Personal Heart Rate Monitor Watch. I couldn't do the Polar Series - just a little too much.
  • eleanoreb
    eleanoreb Posts: 621 Member
    hey

I take the normal calories burned (MFP says 1520) divided by 24 (hours). = 63.3. Then take that and divide by 60 (minutes) = 1.05 (I round up to 1.05). That's my estimated calories burned per minute (doing nothing).

Then take the minutes of exercise (33 minutes) and multiply by 1.06 (or whatever yours is). = 35 calories.

I got this from another post. I don't remember who posted it but I am giving credit to the person who did.

The only issue with this is my HRM (chest strap) shows my burning between 3-4 per minute when I am just sitting. So I don't know if I should be subtracting more.

Thanks..yeh i was wondering about this, because when you add your exercise and get more calories, it doesn'
    t take into account your resting calories, so you are getting extra calories right?
This discussion has been closed.