over on Sugar with no table sugar

Options
I have been under my calorie goal everyday and maintaining discipline. The weight loss is better than expected an I love the app.
I wonder why the recommendation on sugar are so low. I have completely eliminated table sugar from my diet, eliminated most high in sugar fruits (except the banana maybe once a week if I am very tired) but I still am over every day.
Generally with 2 green apples, one raw carrot as snacks and some vegetables like onions with my dinner + my morning cup of organic raw milk).
I am wondering if the sugar goal has in mind table sugar only...
Any advice would be helpful.

Replies

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about sugar unless you're diabetic/pre-diabetic. Most people turn that column off. Look at your protein/fat/carbohydrate % and things that you might not get enough of, not sugar. I often have a cup of green grapes within my calories that puts me over for sugar. This does not matter because I am not diabetic.
  • middleagedmeh
    middleagedmeh Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Makes sense.
    It was just something important because a lot of the weight loss advice is to reduce sugar.
    Thanks,
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Makes sense.
    It was just something important because a lot of the weight loss advice is to reduce sugar.
    Thanks,
    High sugar foods are often more calorie-dense and easier to go overboard on, for sure. High sugar snacks are also poorly portioned (a snickers bar that is supposed to be 3 servings. Like anyone is going to eat 1/3). Unfortunately, anti-sugar is also the latest fad (following up the anti-carb fad, which came after the anti-fat fad). That's probably the bro science you've been hearing lately.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    what's your daily target for sugar in grams ?
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Recommended sugar limits apply to all sugars. There is no significant difference between table sugar and fruit sugar, honey, molasses, agave and all the rest of the so-called "natural" sugars.

Most diabetics and pre-diabetics don't know they are.

Everything else being equal, less sugar and carbs helps to reduce hunger.
  • middleagedmeh
    middleagedmeh Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I didn't set a target really. I just decided to get all my sugar naturally from fruits and vegetables. I am lucky to have a lot of that for cheap. That being said the app calculator set a target for 54 grams with the data I input. I am okay with not paying too much attention to it. The other goals seem good.
    I like the word bro-science. It sounds like some cool science :-)