Reduced metabolism by deficit from nutrition vs. exercise

Options
13»

Replies

• bunnylion
    bunnylion Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Then don't call it set point but adaptive thermogenesis :) My impression is that adaptive thermogenesis is accepted as a fact by many scientists.

Adaptive thermogenesis (usually amounts to a candy bar a day) would be one mechanism a set point hypothesis might require to work, for sure.

And if the study you posted is correct, exercise can help to limit the effects of adaptive thermogenesis and I can keep eating that candy bar. Yay!
  • bunnylion
    Options
    THe only issue with that is that you will not lose 100% fat.

isn't that in the use of 3500 already ? (would be >4000 for pure fat)

It was my understanding that the 3500 factors in the energy the body needs to make the >4000 cals of pure fat available where needed? Have to recheck that.

Edit: It seems that body fat only contains 80%-85% of pure fat. The rest being water and other stuff the body binds with fat. So when talking about losing fat free mass is this included? I would imagine that those 15%-20% are considered losing 'water'?
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    With maximal sympathetic stimulation, the MOST you can lose is MAYBE 100 Calories a day.

It is NOTHING in the grand scheme of things,

Steer clear of anyone who starts pushing adaptive thermogenisis.
    Do you have any sources for that?

Some might advise readers to steer clear of advice from someone who has an avatar picture of someone else, too.
  • bunnylion
    Options
    With maximal sympathetic stimulation, the MOST you can lose is MAYBE 100 Calories a day.

It is NOTHING in the grand scheme of things,

Steer clear of anyone who starts pushing adaptive thermogenisis.
    Do you have any sources for that?

Some might advise readers to steer clear of advice from someone who has an avatar picture of someone else, too.

Thank you. :-)
  • ducati45
    ducati45 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I read this article about this :
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3673773/

It seemed to say there was no difference and the weight loss was the most important factor. In fact the conclusion seemed to be that people who had lost a significant amount of weight would be more likely to regain it because their body would perceive them as being Leptin deficient- so they would have far greater hunger cues and feel like they are starving, as well as having a slightly lower energy need to maintain. Your body does work against you! But I'm sure it's not impossible to get back to a state where your body is used to being a certain weight just as it was being a higher weight.
    I could be reading it wrong but it seemed to say that it actually got harder to burn more calories in exercise after losing a lot of weight? But yeah, seems like you can't trick your body in to thinking it is not losing fat.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    But it's also saying that we mainly burn less from activity, not from BMR. And I think it's suggesting that at least part of the reason is the body is less efficient at higher weight and requires more calories to do the same work. Which is kind of intuitive.

"NREE is clearly the compartment of energy expenditure that is most affected by changes in body weight (11, 20) consistent with the importance of physical exercise in the successful maintenance of reduced weight (9, 21)."

I didn't read the leptin part that closely but it just seems like intuitively the body would increase hunger to really difficult levels at low BMI during calorie restriction, not so much when trying to get from 'overweight' to the top edge of 'healthy BMI'.

I think if the body didn't strive for healthful states more often than not we'd be extinct. Striving to have some excess fat makes evolutionary sense. Striving for obesity doesn't.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    How do you monitor your TDEE?

I know how much I eat from logging and how much I've lost, so calculate it that way.

(Total calories eaten + pounds lost*3500)/number of days in the time period

THe only issue with that is that you will not lose 100% fat.

True, and I have various estimates in there too, so it's not perfect. But since I'm using it to monitor changes over time it works fine.