Short, effective workouts?

iwannawearatutu
iwannawearatutu Posts: 150 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Starting in the new year I'm going to be trying an extreme baby steps plan, starting with 2 minute workouts five times a week, adding just 2-3 minutes to those workout times per week. The idea is to build the habit of exercising in a way that I can always be building on my successes.

Any thoughts on how to get the most out of this? As I said, my primary concern is building the habit of exercising, but I'd like to figure out some good ways to either build muscle or raise my heart rate. For the first month or so, I'll have less than ten minutes to do it in. Thoughts?

P.S. Please don't turn this into a discussion of my admittedly somewhat odd plan - I'm committed to this course, I'm just looking for some suggestions for what to do in very short periods of time. Thanks.

Replies

• Gogo76
    Gogo76 Posts: 581
    Start out with short bursts of cardio like jumping jacks or jogging in place for one minute, then do a strength move such as modified push ups or arm raises with 3lb dumbells for one minute.
  • daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    you should look into interval training
  • So_Um_Yeah
    So_Um_Yeah Posts: 39 Member
    First of all, very cool idea.

Second, I would try to start with just some little arm workouts. Invest in some little weights and just start doing reps of stuff. Up and down over your head, arms straight out, stuff like that. Also you could do pushups, sit ups, crunches, really anything that you dictate the amount of would be great for short little workouts and then once you start adding more time you can just do more.

I'm not a professional here, but just some thoughts. :smile:
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    I actually like your plan. Exercise is first and foremost a mental thing -- a commitment.

Once you're up to 15 minutes, you should get the DVD "Get Chiseled" by The Firm. There's a 15 minute "express" option that's awesome -- the main workout is 40 minutes, I think, but you can work up to that, too!

Jillian Michaels also has a DVD with several different workouts that are each 20 minutes. Cardio Shred, I think it's called. Lots of people on this site do those workouts, so I'm sure someone else will bring that up.

For now, I like the first replier's suggestion of jumping jacks/cardio bursts and strength training.
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Jumping rope is really good for you. Also jumping jacks or running in place. Doing high kneesand alternating with jogging in place or jumping jacks or jump rope. Good luck! :smile:
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    I actually like your plan. Exercise is first and foremost a mental thing -- a commitment.

Once you're up to 15 minutes, you should get the DVD "Get Chiseled" by The Firm. There's a 15 minute "express" option that's awesome -- the main workout is 40 minutes, I think, but you can work up to that, too!

Jillian Michaels also has a DVD with several different workouts that are each 20 minutes. Cardio Shred, I think it's called. Lots of people on this site do those workouts, so I'm sure someone else will bring that up.

For now, I like the first replier's suggestion of jumping jacks/cardio bursts and strength training.

Her Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism has six 7-minute circuits on it.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    There's nothing wrong with your idea. By starting out with something you know you can do, you build momentum to get past the barriers that come when you reach your limits.

Look into different forms of High Intensity Interval Training, generally called HIIT. This afternoon I'm actually doing a form of HIIT using sprints. I sprint 50-100 yards, then jog back to where I started, then rest for a little while, probably 20-40 seconds, then repeat. This keeps my heart rate sky high without tiring out my muscles the way constant cardio such as jogging would. The benefits of a short session of HIIT can match and even exceed sessions 5x as long with no intervals.

If you google HIIT you'll gets tons of ideas.
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Jumping jacks, butt kicks, high knees, running in place, lunges, squats, marching, push-ups, sit-ups are all things that are fast, don't take a lot of space, and get your heart rate and core working. (There are a lot of videos on Youtube that show how to do these basic exercises if you are not familiar with them).

There are a lot of great 10 minute solutions videos out there as well. Check them out: http://www.the10minutesolution.com/series/index.html

I have the Pilates one and I really enjoy it. You can pick one 10 minute workout or add different workouts together to make a longer one. It gives you more choices, which is nice.

Best wishes :smile:
  • bree1609
    bree1609 Posts: 136
    A lot of people had some good ideas so far, and I'd like to echo them. Also, I agree with the one poster who said you should look into interval or circuit training. I think it would be right up your alley once you build up to it.

If you're only doing 2 minutes to start, break it up into sections of 30 seconds. 30 seconds cardio, 30 seconds strength, 30 seconds cardio, 30 seconds strength (or 1 minute cardio, 30 seconds on one strength move, then 30 seconds on another). Just keep moving with no breaks in between.

Jumping jacks, butt kicks, high knees (all good cardio)
    Military presses with squats, front lunges with bicep curls, push ups (all good strength)

Let us know how you're doing! Add me if you'd like. I'd like to know how it works out for you!
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Interval training is probably the best bang for your buck. Try doing things like jogging in place/jumping jacks/jumping rope for two minutes, then do one minute of weightlifting and keep going back and forth. You can change the times and moves to help meet your expanding time goal. Interval training is supposed to the most effective exercise routine for firming up fast.

Shannon
This discussion has been closed.