Gained 14 pounds in one day...

Options
It's true. Whacky numbers caused by outpatient surgery (last Thursday)

Thursday I weighed 180...Friday 194.
Lost 4 pounds yesterday to today.

Just posting this because it was a surprise to me to see a 14 pound/1-day jump.

Replies

• danawhicker
    danawhicker Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    So this happened a week after the surgery?
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    OMG, the doctor left all his surgical tools INSIDE of YOU! :tongue: :wink: Sue his/her pants off:laugh:

Oh, wait you lost it now. Oops, sorry for the hasty outrage.

Seriously, bags of IV fluids and meds tend to do that to ya.
  • valkaree
    valkaree Posts: 519
    Options
    Saw a movie where a guy had a match box car stuck up his butt. I would check that first. If nothing, it is probably just water weight.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    dang....biggest jump i've had over a day is 11 pounds. but that was all food baby, no surgery needed.
  • emily889
    emily889 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Saw a movie where a guy had a match box car stuck up his butt. I would check that first. If nothing, it is probably just water weight.

This is both disgusting and hilarious lol
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    That is a seriously whacky weight gain in one day. Different scales, perhaps?
    Even if the same scale, IV fluids (high in sodium), pain meds causing constipation, abdominal surgeons adding air (causing gas and constipation), who knows.....but if it doesn't come off soon, I'd call your doctor and find out what they left inside of you.
  • valkaree
    valkaree Posts: 519
    Options
    dang....biggest jump i've had over a day is 11 pounds. but that was all food baby, no surgery needed.

You ate 11lbs of food in one day? Marry me, you are the woman of my dreams! My fortune cookie called this one!!
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options

winner!!!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    inflammation will cause a substantial amount of water retention (it's not just puffy tissue- there's fluid and chit in there you know)

so.. yeah- it's easy to have a big jump like that.

Don't sweat it- eat as best you can and return to normal life as your doctor directs. you.
  • GatorDeb1
    GatorDeb1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Got hit by a car, went to the ER, got 2-3 bags of saline pumped into me.

Guess who was right about 14 lbs heavier THAT night also :\
  • tabicatinthehat
    tabicatinthehat Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Got hit by a car, went to the ER, got 2-3 bags of saline pumped into me.

Guess who was right about 14 lbs heavier THAT night also :\

Ouch.
  • morehealthymatt
    morehealthymatt Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Was a body part reattached? :)
  • meganjcallaghan
    Options

You ate 11lbs of food in one day? Marry me, you are the woman of my dreams! My fortune cookie called this one!!

haha...i was having a "celebratory weightloss binge buffet" day. Once I was 5 pounds below goal I decided to have a day of eating everything delicious under the sun to jump start my maintenance and get the ol' glycogen and such back. I was 138.6 in the morning and by the time I was stuffed to the gills after my potluck party I was 151 on the nose.....ben and jerry's....chips....butter chicken....mango salsa sushi roll.....so many thinnnnngs....
  • stillhere1981
    stillhere1981 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I gained 30lbs of fluid after one of my surgeries. It was all fluid weight. I came from the hospital with no waist or ankles. I was back to normal after about a week home.
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    That is a seriously whacky weight gain in one day. Different scales, perhaps?
    .but if it doesn't come off soon, I'd call your doctor and find out what they left inside of you.

Doc looks around.........:huh: "Anyone see my bowling ball??"
  • wgaue
    wgaue Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. I've had several surgeries over the years. Between the i.v.'s, and medication, you're gonna have a gain. And yes, a big one. It'll come off.
  • Pookerz
    Pookerz Posts: 10
    Options
    Hopefully it was the good one *wink wink*

OK, that was really stupid. I'm sorry.

Was a body part reattached? :)
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    That's common.

Every time I go to the ER for IV fluids, I weigh 7-10 lbs heavier than when I arrived at the ER.
  • meganjcallaghan
    Options
    if i finally get the go ahead to give away my kidney I anticipate being so swollen with fluids (both from having IV and from the fact that my one kidney that's left will have to adjust to doing the work of 2 and I probably won't adequately filter out fluid for at least a a few days up to a week anyway). I plan on bringing "fat" pants.
  • TamraJeanShea
    TamraJeanShea Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    if i finally get the go ahead to give away my kidney I anticipate being so swollen with fluids (both from having IV and from the fact that my one kidney that's left will have to adjust to doing the work of 2 and I probably won't adequately filter out fluid for at least a a few days up to a week anyway). I plan on bringing "fat" pants.
    My friend just had a kidney transplant; she and her donor went up about 10lbs in one day. I did bring her some larger pants, both ladies were quite swollen but both were up walking around within 12 hours of surgery. Best of luck to you ♥