slight soreness after strength but not cardio. normal?

Options
I workout 5/6 times a week at home using Jillian michaels videos and anything else that seems like I would enjoy it. I recently started doing strength training at home too, again following youtube videos. Today I did Bob Harpers weight video. I can do high intensity aerobic workouts and never ache or feel sore but weight training I feel sore in places. Is this normal? I would have thought cardio would make me sore as it's alot of jumpy moves.????

I assume muscles are building hence the slight soreness lol

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I workout 5/6 times a week at home using Jillian michaels videos and anything else that seems like I would enjoy it. I recently started doing strength training at home too, again following youtube videos. Today I did Bob Harpers weight video. I can do high intensity aerobic workouts and never ache or feel sore but weight training I feel sore in places. Is this normal? I would have thought cardio would make me sore as it's alot of jumpy moves.????

I assume muscles are building hence the slight soreness lol

DOMS usually shows up when you try an exercise style for the first time, change the intensity or rep range of an existing exercise routine.

I would guess that you are doing regular enough cardio that it doesn't give you DOMS anymore (I bet it did when you started out).

Keep strength training and after a week or two the DOMS will lessen each time and then eventually disappear. Of course if you then change up your routine significantly or come back after a layoff, then you'll get DOMS all over again.

It's not from muscles building though. Many regular weight trainers don't experience DOMS, but make muscle and strength gains according to their diet and training schedule anyway.