Menopause related Weight Gain - How do I lose weight now?

Options
2»

Replies

• awebster2
    awebster2 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    55 and perimenopausal only because once in a blue moon I get to reset the clock. I've lost 40 pounds since March (with maybe ten to go to get to my high school weight!). Log your foods and lift heavy! Weight training has made all the difference for me.
  • beachgal0626
    beachgal0626 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Bump to read more later!
  • CupcakesMom2
    CupcakesMom2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    This is actually a pet peeve of mine. I know I was told no way could I lose weight after menopause. I really wish people would stop saying that because it made me even more reluctant to even try and lose weight.

Do I lose weight as easily as I did at 20? No. However I also approached weight loss differently at age 51 then 20. I read up more on what to eat that is healthy and also will help me lose weight. For me personally my weight loss is more effected by diet than exercise although I think for health reasons everyone should exercise regularly.

I eat a ton of vegetables and beans. I drink green smoothies. I have found alot of wonderful recipes. There is a wealth of healthy eating info out there but you have to be able to weed through alot of false marketing/misconceptions to get it.

You definitely can lose weight after menopause. I am living proof.

If I can help at all please let me know.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I reached menopause the same year I started losing weight, and have now lost 67 pounds. I think losing weight in general is hard, keeping it off is hard, but I don't think it's any more difficult in menopause. It's all about finding the calorie deficit that gives you results, without being too restrictive. If you are logging calories, it's about being accurate with your calorie counts by being very good at eyeballing portions, or weighing and measuring your food. It's about finding some exercise that you enjoy doing, and finding a resistance training program to help you maintain muscle as you lose weight and keep your bones strong.

Good luck to you!
  • Stefmoray
    Stefmoray Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you! I will be 50 in October and am in menopause and just started taking estradiol. I thought that might help me lose weight but I have gained 7 more pounds instead. I exercise daily in fact at a higher intensity than ever. I have been logging for several months and eat healthy most of the time. I just can't believe I gained weight. It is extremely depressing. Now I need to lose 30 lbs.
  • joannesohn
    Options
    Hi Everyone!!!

I just wanted to let you know that I have a special 5 day promotion on Amazon Kindle coming up where my newest book on MENOPAUSE DIET will be available for FREE.

It will be free starting Sunday 09/07/14 until Thursday 09/11/14 Click Here: http://tinyurl.com/klpksm2

Enjoy,
    Joanne
  • hikerbabe10
    Options
    I am also in the perimenopause stage. It can be very disheartening to work hard and see no improvement. I never worried about my weight, but the last 10 years has been terribly hard taking off the weight. I play ball, volleyball, bowl, swim, and have started hiking 3 to 6 km per day. My legs and butt are toning up, but the middle is still hanging in there. I am hoping that eventually there won't be any fat left on my legs and butt and it will eventually come off the middle lol. I can't do strength training with my left arm at the moment because I did something to the inside of my elbow and it is painful to lift anything at all. Would appreciate any and all help to get started on the road to losing fat/weight. Anyone can add me as a friend.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I guess the answer might be the same way you lost weight before -- calories in, calories out. However, because you are older, your metabolism is slower, so you don't need as many calories in. That is the challenge. I went through menopause at age 43, but didn't start gaining until an injury in my late 40s laid me up for 3 months. I am 55 now, and I have been successful with MFP but am currently plateau'd at 120. At this point, I'm netting 1200 calories and more or less assuming that 1200 + exercise calories are maintenance for me. That means that I have to eat lot less than I did at say 35 or 40 to lose weight or to not gain. The principle is the same -- it's just that the number of calories allowed are a lot less due to age. I do have to admit that my body is fitter and stronger than it ever has been, though. So, yes, you can lose, and you can maintain a fit body; it just takes more effort.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    How much of a calorie deficit helped you lose weight? I aim for 1,200 calories a day and I'm still not losing weight. Of course, I'm not always able to stay within that amount, but on average I do and I'm unable to lose weight.
    Can't see your diary, so are you actually at 1200, or are you netting 1200?
    My doctor & dietician told me to ignore "net" or exercise calories, just aim for my calorie goal in total calories.
    Any deficit will cause weight loss. Smaller will be slower.
  • mealprepping_fit4life
    Options
    I was worried about the same thing. I cut out fried foods, stay hydrated and I have to keep moving at least 2.5 miles a day because if I slow down its like I am a fat magnet. I am starting to see the results of a month of hardwork. A solid month of hard work for sure.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    Some people can't stay at 1200 without eating back exercise calories. I tried it and was starving. It was OK if all I did was a 30 minute walk, but strength training or heavy aerobics would leave me light-headed and winded.
  • Arydria
    Arydria Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Stating that you can't lose weight because you're menopausal is a cop out IMHO. I went through menopause 6 years ago (at 49) and in the last year (aged 55) I've lost over 125 lbs through diet and exercise.

A great help to me was having my RMR (Resting Metabolic Rate) and VO2max tested. This way I was able to fine tune my calorie requirements and my heart rate zones for exercise. It was well worth the $150 for the tests.

You CAN lose weight after menopause. You just have to want it, and be willing to work for it. There are no magic bullets.
  • cmolivadas
    cmolivadas Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Where do you go to get an official RMR and VO2MAX for $150.00?

I just turned 50 and menopause just hit like freight train! Tracking has helped with weight loss and a 1200 calorie diet.

PS. Congrats - you look great and I can see from your pick you have lost a lot.
  • weeziews
    weeziews Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Where would be a good starting point to learn how to begin the optimal ketosis?