Binge eating for me starts with ice cream....

Options
I have developed some difficult binge eating patterns over the past few years. I usually dont binge at home, i end up getting one or two items at a time from a local ice cream shop or store after work. I usually start with one scoop, then get a single serving of other items. Binges almost always include the same few items like cookie dough ice cream and pb cups.I generally dont end up with boxes of cookies or a whole pizza, just little things that Ive been craving but dont usually eat regularly. They add up to alot! It doesnt happen every day, usually once every week or two. Im not sure if having small amounts of ice cream etc at the house and enjoy them in moderation would help or hinder....Not sure what to do or how to break this pattern!

Replies

• leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I don't break the pattern. I know I'm gonna eat beer and wings on Sunday during football season so I build them into my diet equation. So if I get 1400 a day and I only eat 1300 for six, it means I have 600 extra cals on Sunday for me to chow some wings. Not twenty or anything but I don't count cals that day and I pretend for posterity that each wing is about 100 cals. So I get 6 normally and then 4 more with the extra cals and 2 light beers (100 cals each). Makes me happy doing the weekly count instead of the daily. I'm going to cheat and I'm not worried about it because this way it's not really cheating!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Binging for me is not a constant problem. It's associated with stress, change, lack of sleep. Funnily enough, it's rarely calorie-dense stuff like ice cream. If I find myself binging on ice cream or crisps I know I'm in fairly deep! It's more likely to be medium stuff like biscuits (cookies), toast, milk. But I can binge on high-fibre breakfast cereal.

I'm learning not to work too hard on breaking the pattern. The binging is a symptom, not a cause. It generally passes in time, and faster if I am logging. I've had a long period of not logging at all, and I'm just working hard on getting back into it. To start with I won't actually limit what I eat at all - just log, log, log. In a few weeks the red numbers will start having an effect without me trying too hard, and when whatever stress is causing the binging passes, it will ease off.

It's actually helpful to me to explain this to someone else, as that is where I am right now, and helps me see that it will not be forever. This has worked before, it will work again.