When did Plus Size become sizes 8-20 ?

HealthyChanges2010
HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
WOW, when did this happen? I remember hearing 14+ was considered Plus Size but an 8???:noway:

Crystal Renn was lovely looking weighing more and is now working out and down to size 10 and is still considered a plus size model. WOW...where have I been living that size 10 is now considered a plus size? :frown:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/38358777/ns/today-today_fashion_and_beauty/

Replies

• eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    On average:

High end labels and coture (sp) models are a size 00-2, with very very few making it as a size 4. Commercial models are a 2-4. Fitness models are 2-6 (depending on how tall and muscular they are). Plus size models are on average 8-12, although there are obviously some much larger ones as well.

Isn't the average woman a size 12?? So messed up.
  • patio1313
    patio1313 Posts: 169 Member
    I think I am officially counted as SUPER SIZE
  • I'm 5'9 (pushing 5'10) and I guess I will stay a plus size then. I would look horrible if I was smaller than a 6. I'm an 8 now and in my healthy weight range. I gladly accept my plus size! :happy:
  • so i wear a 22-24 what the hell am i considered? Geez... 8-20.. that's crazy.. Plus size doesn't really start till 14-16!!!
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    This says so many things about our society. When will the obsession with weight go away and become just an obsession with being healthy. I know that there is NO WAY I would ever be a size 4... probably not even a size 8. When I was at my skinniest I just barely got into a size 10 but let me tell you I looked GOOD! More importatnly I felt good. I think we need to stop the obsession with being a certain size and just focus on being active and eating healthy foods.
  • I believe Torrid's smallest size is a 10 or 12. Sometimes I find that their pants fit me better bc even though I'm in normal clothing store sizes, I'm still curvy...always will be.
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    but the actual sizing isn't even the same anymore!! I have a pair of size 8's that I bought probably 10 years ago and they still fit (knock on wood)...but if I try on 8's now in the store they practically fall off!! I've read that manufacturers are making the sizes bigger to make women feel better about themselves so they will buy more. I wish they would stop it!!! I always have to take 3 or 4 different sizes in the dressing room with me since I don't know what size I really am. ugh!

lol...I didn't realize how much this bugged me. tee hee. there's my rant! Oh...I also heard once that Marilyn Monroe was a 12-14 in her day, but today would be an 8.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Plus sizes in the store are still 14-16 and up. The Fashion Industry has always been whacked so I don't look to them for guidance as to what is normal.

But don't be bashing on the smaller sizes either. I'm a size 2 and I'm extremely healthy. I'm just short and small-boned.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    I think we need to be sure to disassociate "plus size" and "plus size model" - they are two very different things. Anything over a 4 (and 4 is often considered heavy because they won't fit in the sample sizes) is a plus size in the model world, but not in the real world. Probably a 12 or 14 is I would say. That's about where, for many, the weight gets to be more unhealthy than just a matter of small or big is beautiful. Of course, not everyone fits in this mold and some healthy people can be large and tiny gals, we know, can be very unhealthy as well. Too bad we keep (self included) basing our views off what the modeling world puts in ads. I don't think that large sizes should be just accepted and portrayed as normal just because there is a new "average", that's just as unhealthy as saying a 00 is ideal, but I think healthy in every size (every healthy size) should be portrayed and not labeled normal or plus size.
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Work with a guy that is about 5'4" and 135 lbs. Came in with a shirt I liked the other day. I said, "What were you doing in the Boy's section? They make those in Man-Size?"
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Wow. I'm in a healthy BMI (on the high side) and my body fat percentage is 'Average' (trying to get to 'Ideal'). And I would be considered a 'plus size'. That's just sick.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    but the actual sizing isn't even the same anymore!! I have a pair of size 8's that I bought probably 10 years ago and they still fit (knock on wood)...but if I try on 8's now in the store they practically fall off!! I've read that manufacturers are making the sizes bigger to make women feel better about themselves so they will buy more. I wish they would stop it!!! I always have to take 3 or 4 different sizes in the dressing room with me since I don't know what size I really am. ugh!

I have 3 pairs of the same style same brand but different wash. Two are 8s, 1 is a 6. The 6 fits best. My jeans from 6 or 7 yrs ago are 10s and fit great.
  • She wasn't talking about normal women's Plus Size being 8-20, she was talking about models!! There is no way an 8 is plus size!!!
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    I read somewhere that just like they photoshop to make women look slim and perfect, they photoshop plus size models to make them look more plus.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    This is US sizing I assume, as UK sizes are different, if we buy the same clothes they have a larger label on than in the US, guess you guys like to think thinner than we do lol

Our average is a 16, which is the same as your 14, or so I am told. Someone on here told me that US sizes are TWO smaller than ours, giving a size 10 here to be a size 6 in the states, THAT is really the weirdest thing, how come??
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    5'2', size 8 jeans...

So call me plus size & fun size :) It is ridiculous that the fashion world considers single digits plus, but whateva :glasses:
  • I agree!! I am also 5'9", pushing 5' 10", and I am overweight now, but will glady be called "plus size" if I can get to my goal weight o f 175!!!! The standards for women now are so distorted!! I wouldn't look good at the "reccommended" weight of 126!!! Crazy!!!!!
  • HollyMac20
    HollyMac20 Posts: 259 Member
    Let me get out my soap box for a minute...

I have such a beef with this. Everywhere you look there are beautiful skinny women...on tv, in magazines, on the calendars, car ads, beer ads, cheerleaders, movies, everywhere!!! They are all done to perfection, tiny and drop dead gorgeous. Not a love handle, belly or big thigh on them. It just drives in to every woman that this is what men are looking for and find attractive. It is hard to turn a nose up to every actress and model. I struggle with this issue. I think men (in some way shape or form) to hope/wish/expect their girlfriend or wife to look like that. It just isn't real. To any man reading this, what do you think? Are you disappointed when you meet someone that isn't a super model? There is just so much pressure from every direction!

There, there is my rant :-)
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    my husband says they look like they need a good meal lol

Men like women with shape, they like curves and boobs, bums and waists
  • so very funny...i hate the generalizations about "plus size" because when it comes down to it- there is not right or wrong or too much or too little- because we are all built differently...for example- i have ridiculously large bones (heredity is a beast) and i could probably die and just have my skin an bones left and they wouldnt fit into a size 8 hahahaha...thats why So many ppl (specifically women) in America are either "obese" or "anorexic" this country cant get it together to teach people to love themselves when they look good- not hate what they are because its not the same as all these models...im just glad that all us on here know that when we get to "FINE" and "SEXY" that we will be happy no matter what size we have to buy or what part of the store we shop in...i know i will!!!
This discussion has been closed.