weight loss surgery and mfp

Options
I have major back problems. I saw an orthopedic surgeon yesterday and I need a spinal fusion revision. At 360 pounds, I have a 50% greater risk for complications. So they are referring me to a weight loss surgeon. I am starting to make changes now-cutting out soda, sweets, and my biggest thing sweet tea. I hope to be on nothing but water for lunch and dinner by the time I go for my consult. Anyway, just wondering if anyone else on here used mfp with wls.

Replies

• MyMalfunction7
    MyMalfunction7 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I had weight loss surgery about seven years ago, and am using mfp to lose the last few pounds (only ten left!). Congratulations on starting to diet, and hopefully on getting your back problems solved!
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I think there are groups you can look up for more support on this topic.

I'm a little confused when you say you are hoping to only be on water for lunch and dinner by the time of your consult. Does that mean to intend to be drinking only water with your meals? Or that you will be going without food and only drinking water?

I would suggest following MFP's calorie recommendation until your consultation and start getting in the habit of weighing and logging your food. This is something you will have to do after your surgery and probably for the rest of your life, at least according to friends of mine who have had surgery. This will also help you learn to eat things in moderation and about portion sizes, which is where the majority of people go wrong. And you may lose some weight along the way.

Good luck.
  • tidefan1784
    tidefan1784 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the confusion. I did mean to be drinking only water with my meals. I know I lose a lot of calories on the tea and sodas and the sugary drinks just aren't healthy for you in general.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    If you have trouble giving up sweet drinks, artificial sweeteners as a substitute for sugar in drinks might be a good option. Which you probably know. But a lot of people think they're 'bad for you'. They're not.

Good luck!