HIIT workouts to often?

Options
I do 30 Day shred and I love it. I'm only on Day 6 lvl 1 but i only burn like 280 in 27 minutes. I do this at night before bed btw. In the morning however I do one of the HIIT workouts from Turbo Fire so I can burn a little more usually over 300 calories. My question is this to much? I don't want to over do it. Crazy thing is I'm never sore the next day. I exercise everyday but I only do two a days Monday Tuesday than Wednesday I do a 3 mile walk than two a days Thursday Friday Saturday and than just the walk Sunday.

Replies

• alexkirkp
    alexkirkp Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    280 calories in 27 minutes isn't unreasonable. If you are worried about over training the best thing to do is monitor for it. Check your heart rate every morning before you get out of bed. If you find it consistently rising or much higher than your baseline then you are becoming over trained and need to take some time off.
  • WombatHat42
    WombatHat42 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I would say spread out the two a days. Rather than doing MT and THFSat, Do monday wednesday friday then do the other stuff the other 4 days. HIIT is great for burning calories but it also puts a lot of stress on the body and it's joints and they will need time to recover. You could still do it the way you are just move some of the two a days to the pool and do HIIT there(just did that today and did 1100cal in 75 minutes).

A couple years ago, when I was working out to tryout for college football I was doing a 2hr accel/running program 3x a week(with core work), a weight training course(with core) 2 hr 3x a week and pilates 2hr 2x a week. I saw very good results, cut 0.5 off my 40 time, added several inches to my vert/broad jump etc and dropped 20 lbs in just 1 month. Then 2 weeks into the second month all of my numbers had drop offs for some reason, especially my core focused numbers. I spoke with my running coach about it and we went over what I was doing and turns out I was over training. Had me cut back my core and a couple other things. The point is, you may be seeing GREAT results right now, feel great no aches/pains but it is all an accumulative effect. In a few weeks, if you arent letting your body rest and recover properly it will eventually break down. Same for why it is best to not lift the same muscle group more than 1x in a 48 hour period.

Try and do it so you do high impact every other day, and that one of those two a days isnt high impact or is via something that will put less stress on your joints(ie pool, bike)