Snack ideas for dairy ALLERGY

Options
utes09
utes09 Posts: 561 Member
I'm trying to get ideas for my husband for snacks at work and what not. He's allergic to dairy (the reaction is like lactose intolerance but is an allergy) so any snacks I can come up with don't work. I always like string cheese with crackers or some yogurt. Also he's allergic to nuts and peanuts.

Does anyone have any good, filling snack ideas that he can try? He keeps complaining that he's starving all day with what I give him (usually a Nature Valley Dark Chocolate bar [for some reason he can have "nut ingredients"] some Annie's bunny snacks or something along those lines)

I was thinking of making up small portions of rice and having him take some frozen edamamae but that's pretty monotonous.

Replies

• kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I like rice cakes, but I also usually top them with cottage cheese, which would not work for you. Maybe rice cakes and a piece of fruit? It would be good to find some protein that he can eat, that will help him stay fuller. Tuna fish and crackers? (They do make those snack packs, or you can make your own!) Fresh veggies and hummus. Some chicken salad in a small tortilla?
  • Gogo76
    Gogo76 Posts: 581
    Options
    what about carrot/celery sticks, hard boiled eggs, hummus and pita chips........
  • quentien3
    quentien3 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Coconut Milk Icecream! Its the Bee's Knees! 100% dairy free, taste great, and a healthy choice.
  • utes09
    Options
    I talked to him about hummus. He's turned his nose up at it before but I told him he needs to try it with carrots or crackers. I'm picking some up this weekend at the store.

All my protein ideas revolve around nuts and cheese related items It's very difficult. I know there's beef jerkey but sodium is so high in that...
  • utes09
    Options
    Coconut Milk Icecream! Its the Bee's Knees! 100% dairy free, taste great, and a healthy choice.

We've both had it and I'm sorry but we felt it was NASTY....plus he can't really have ice cream on his desk to eat throughout the day. We have found Breyer's 99.9% lactose free ice cream that doesn't bother him.
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Oh no! Hummus is SO tasty! =) Maybe if he tries it again it will stick. Maybe he would like one of the flavored ones? Like roasted red pepper or the super garlicky ones?
  • utes09
    Options
    Oh no! Hummus is SO tasty! =) Maybe if he tries it again it will stick. Maybe he would like one of the flavored ones? Like roasted red pepper or the super garlicky ones?

That's my plan. And if I get the garlicky one I'll pack him some mints too ;)
  • becomingsara
    Options
    I have a dairy intolerance, and I have found the following to be SNACKTASTIC!
    Popcorn Indiana kettle corn
    Soy nuts
    GOOD dark chocolate (50% or higher)
    And all of the above can be found in a regular walmart. (which I guess may not help you if you aren't in the states! - sorry)
    Don't forget the dairy free soy alternatives (soy cream cheese, soy or rice cheese and soy sour cream) all of the former pair well with fresh veggies - there are also some great dressings to pair as well.

Happy Snacking!
    ~ Sara
  • Paula_Addem
    Paula_Addem Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    What about things like corn bran, fruit leather, apple sauce, or popcorn? Has he tried Soybutter? My sister has a peanut allergy and eats that instead of peanut butter. She loves it. He could put soybutter and sf jam on rice cakes, it's my favourite snack! (With pb though...)
  • JulieBoBoo
    Options
    nacho chips (baked) with salsa (Lock N Lock containers work well for this)
    Fruit or veggies
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Hi--is your husband allergic to seeds too? I have a 6 year old son who has a severe peanut allergy and we have to keep him away from tree nuts too. Since most snacks out there include nuts or are made in a facility w/nuts (and still not safe), I have been experimenting.

Sunflower seeds are great for us, and pumpkin seeds. We love Sunbutter in our house. It is made in a dedicated no nut facility and is super good by itself, sandwiches, on carrots, etc.

Also, I have been making granola w/Oats, honey, maple syrup. Then I add raisins, or dried cherries and typically sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds. And then little chocolate chips (again, the nut-free facility ones...enjoy life is the brand) It's so good. My husband gets kind of bummed because with my sons allergy we don't have his favorite snacks around ---but he does love when I make big bags of this granola, he says it's a great filling snack. If you are interested I can post the recipe.

If seeds don't work, I love these and have bought them before. When we have them, they go quickly. I can't seem to find them in our stores so haven't had them lately. Maybe I'll order them. http://www.amazon.com/Wheat-Nuts-oz-Unit-Pack/dp/B00168ACE4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292670622&sr=8-1

Also Check out peanutfreeplanet.com and allerific.com--I buy stuff from them alot. They are all about offering products w/out the top allergens.

Good luck!!