Airplane Travel

Options
Hey guys- I am flying most of the day tomorrow, with my 8 month old baby, to go home for the holidays, and wonder if anyone had any tips as far as eating and staying on track goes. Its so tempting for me to want to eat fast food on a layover!!

Advice?

Replies

• patio1313
    patio1313 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I just had the same situation around Thanksgiving and we just packed a few little snacky things that were what I would normally eat. And remember that fast food in moderation will not kill ya...But you just have to make sure that it is in moderation. I had fast food for the first time in months during that trip and it didn't really hurt my weight loss or anything like that as long as I worked it off with exercise. GOOD LUCK
  • JodiS75
    JodiS75 Posts: 284
    Options
    I think all (or most) airports I've been in have a Chili's. You could go there and get the margarita chicken off the guiltless grill menu. Then it's kind of like cheating, but not really!
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    You will probably bring food for the baby (unless still on Mommy's) - so bring some healthy snacks for yourself too. Watch the sodium for the next few days and drink plenty of water - double up. Airports have lots of healthy options - grab a nice salad!
  • crissi66
    Options
    Luckily JFK Airport in ny has a huge variety of food. Im flying out next thursday to go to florida. I plan on grabbing some dry cereal and a small juice. Thankfully my flight is at 6am so there really shouldnt be anything that tempting open at that hour anyway.
  • emills88
    emills88 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Pack a lunch in your diaper bag! I used to do that while traveling with my son, you are usually allowed one personal item, a small carry-on, and a diaper bag for your child, check with your airline to make sure but that's how it usually is. You won't be able to take any liquids through security but food was ok when I flew at least. For that you should call the airport to see what they allow. Otherwise, if you need something to eat during a layover, there is nothing saying that you can NEVER have fast food. Just be sensible. It is now mandatory for those places to post their nutritional facts where everyone can see it so check it out and pick a low-cal option. Just go easy on it, getting enough just to hold you over until you can get something better!
  • nellajane24
    nellajane24 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!! I know I will be stressed because she won't get her naps in, so hopefully I don't reach for some chocolates.. (I tend to go overboard!)
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Depending on the airport, you may or may not be able to bring food thru security. Last time I flew in June the airport here made me take the foil packaged snacks out and toss them. They did let me keep the apple and carrots in plastic bags though. They told me I could get anything from the vendors on the concorse past security to take on the plane. A couple years ago my SIL gave me a loaf of date bread and banana bread wrapped in foil just before I got on the plane, so it was in my carry on...I did get pulled aside and my bag searched. I TRIED to get them to take the bread!! They just wished me a happy new year and sent me on my way.
  • rayfromtx
    Options
    Look for subway and get a roasted chicken sandwich.