New to resistance bands. Any suggestions?

Options
After losing 105 lbs thus far I'm ready to start additional exercise to my routine. I pretty much walk daily for exercise and that's it. One caveat is that I'm going back on the road again in a semi-truck. I will be on the road a few days a week. My cab is pretty roomy on the inside. So, I have room to lay a mat on the floor, set up a folder chair, etc. I'm not looking to become Mr. Atlas or anything. I just want to do some basic strength training/muscle toning.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Replies

• matthawthorneisamyth
    matthawthorneisamyth Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Man, body weight exercises are perfect for this setup. Pushups, pullups, reverse rows, Handstand push-ups etc. Get yourself a couple of milk jugs and fill them with sand. Keep them in the truck and you can use them for biceps curls and shoulder work. Prisoner squats and burpees are great for building strength and cardiovascular conditioning. You can also use a plastic grocery bag and resistance bands for things like curls and tricep press downs.

When you park your truck find a kids playground nearby and use the monkey bars for pulls-ups, or, if that makes you uncomfortable, you could use a spot on your truck or a sturdy tree.

Good part about this is you'll be building functional strength and your muscles will look better as a result. (I don't advocate toning because it doesn't work, but adding muscle mass and reducing body fat will achieve the tone effect that you're looking to acquire.)
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions. Thanks!
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Wow, I would of thought there would be a lot of resistance band users on this site ;-)
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Bands are good, but i'd use a pair of adjustable dumbbells as a foundation. It's much easier to work legs with them (the largest muscle group) to do the basics like squats, lunges, and deadlifts. I'd get a pair that goes to at least 30 lbs. for each hand. Yes, you will eventually be squatting that much. :wink:

Resistance bands are a good supplement to dumbbells. I'd get a kit with a door attachment, because it opens up your exercise options considerably. You might not have room in the cab to use the door attachment, but you can probably clip it outside the truck. Good kits have metal attachment points, like Bodylastics and Black Mountain. See my profile for a basic routine with bands & dumbbells. Oh and congrats on losing the weight. I thought truckers only gained weight. :bigsmile: