Benefits of the sauna/steam room

Options
mhlew
mhlew Posts: 377 Member
On my rest days I have been going to the gym with a gallon of water and sliced lemon and I drink as much of it as I can while in the sauna and steam room. I stay in for about 10 mins, exit and rest then go back in and will do this about 3 times.

I do not rely on the sauna for weight loss- I simply do it because I feel great after and I think has some cleansing effects with toxins in the body. Does anyone else do the sauna and experience any benefits?

Replies

• Jemellc
    Jemellc Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I do like jumping jacks... running in place.... feels sooo so good to stretch in there as well.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    On my rest days I have been going to the gym with a gallon of water and sliced lemon and I drink as much of it as I can while in the sauna and steam room. I stay in for about 10 mins, exit and rest then go back in and will do this about 3 times.

I do not rely on the sauna for weight loss- I simply do it because I feel great after and I think has some cleansing effects with toxins in the body. Does anyone else do the sauna and experience any benefits?
    Your body happily cleanses and removes toxins in normal ways through excretion. The purpose of sweating is to cool the body down not to 'detoxify' thats what your liver, colon and kidneys are for. As for weightloss it would only be water weight. The only real benefit is if it's a nice way for you to relax. Studies on other benefits such as heart patients and chronic pain have never been conclusive.

So if you enjoy it do it but it really has no benefit other than relaxing you
  • mhlew
    Options

Your body happily cleanses and removes toxins in normal ways through excretion. The purpose of sweating is to cool the body down not to 'detoxify' thats what your liver, colon and kidneys are for. As for weightloss it would only be water weight. The only real benefit is if it's a nice way for you to relax. Studies on other benefits such as heart patients and chronic pain have never been conclusive.

So if you enjoy it do it but it really has no benefit other than relaxing you

I agree for the most part however I disagree that no toxins are released through sweat. Yes I understand these are the main functions of the liver, colon and kidneys but I am sure there is some benefits to the release of toxins (even if it is minimal). If I am hungover from a crazy weekend of drinking my body will sweat profusely even if I am not doing anything physical , but it is my bodies reaction to releasing toxins being alcohol in this example, again even if it is a minimal amount.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

I do not rely on the sauna for weight loss- I simply do it because I feel great after and I think has some cleansing effects with toxins in the body. Does anyone else do the sauna and wish to confirm my flawed beliefs?

Edited for accuracy
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    They have many benefits! They feel good, they can help clear your sinuses (wet sauna), the heat may assist with muscle soreness, a general feeling of relaxation, etc.

"A saunas’ dry heat (which can get as high as 185° F) has profound effects on the body. Skin temperature soars to about 104° F within minutes. The average person will pour out a pint of sweat during a short stint in a sauna. The pulse rate jumps by 30% or more, allowing the heart to nearly double the amount of blood it pumps each minute. Most of the extra blood flow is directed to the skin; in fact, the circulation actually shunts blood away from the internal organs. Blood pressure is unpredictable, rising in some people but falling in others.

The November issue of Harvard Men’s Health Watch explains how these changes may influence a man's health.

“All in all, saunas appear safe for the body, but there is little evidence that they have health benefits above and beyond relaxation and a feeling of well-being,” says Dr. Harvey Simon, editor-in-chief of Harvard Men’s Health Watch. However, heart patients should check with their doctors before taking a sauna. Studies show them to be safe for people with stable coronary artery disease. “But patients with poorly controlled blood pressure, abnormal heart rhythms, unstable angina, and advanced heart failure or heart valve disease will probably be advised to stay cool,” says Dr. Simon." ~Harvard Health

Quite frankly I don't give a rat's butt. The feeling and relaxation is benefit enough!
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options

I do not rely on the sauna for weight loss- I simply do it because I feel great after and I think has some cleansing effects with toxins in the body. Does anyone else do the sauna and wish to confirm my flawed beliefs?

Edited for accuracy
    lol! Thank you
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I think I get this same benefit from my daily walks in the hot florida sun. I do feel like I am melting by the time I get back home anyways. :laugh:
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Saunas are beneficial if you are cold.
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Saunas are beneficial if you are cold.

true dat
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Relaxation, perhaps some moderate benefit to DOMS recovery
  • TheNoLeafClover
    TheNoLeafClover Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I agree for the most part however I disagree that no toxins are released through sweat. Yes I understand these are the main functions of the liver, colon and kidneys but I am sure there is some benefits to the release of toxins (even if it is minimal). If I am hungover from a crazy weekend of drinking my body will sweat profusely even if I am not doing anything physical , but it is my bodies reaction to releasing toxins being alcohol in this example, again even if it is a minimal amount.

Sweating does not release "toxins" from the body. It's a scientific fact, not an opinion. You sweat during a hangover because alcohol increases your body temperature. The sauna will not release toxins from your body, but if you enjoy using it, then by all means, continue using it.
  • mhlew
    Options

Sweating does not release "toxins" from the body. It's a scientific fact, not an opinion. You sweat during a hangover because alcohol increases your body temperature. The sauna will not release toxins from your body, but if you enjoy using it, then by all means, continue using it.

Agree to disagree. I have been hungover and not felt hot, and still sweat.
  • gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options

Oh really? Can you quote the "scientific fact" for me? I'm dying to know what you think sweat is composed of.

To OP: Not sure if your alcohol consumption has anything to do with how much you sweat, but here are some useful studies on what your sweat composition looks like:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18156662
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/686643
  • mhlew
    Options
    If my sweat has the most miniscule amount of alcohol in it then I consider that sweating out a toxin.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    fine, continue making up your own facts and science. no toxinz off my nose
  • mhlew
    Options
    I will Paul! Go buy me a lab coat.
  • hmrambling
    hmrambling Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I have given hours to my Jacuzzi tub that I will never be able to get back. I sweat and relax, but have yet to find any reliable information on health benefits to the jets in the Jacuzzi. I'm guessing that the sauna is in the same boat as the Jacuzzi - there are a lot of suggestions out there that it is somehow beneficial (mostly from the manufacturers of the products), but I haven't found anything reliable that suggests that there are real benefits. And yet, I continue to waste hours in the tub ;)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Other than relaxation nope.

Anyone telling you that it cleanses your body of toxins (other that what your excretory system already does) is either misinformed or promoting pseudo-scientific nonsense.
    Agree to disagree. I have been hungover and not felt hot, and still sweat.

The plural of anecdote is not data.
  • mhlew
    Options
    Well regardless sweating out toxins or not. The relaxation benefits are great, and gives me time to sit down and think about my work out I did, improvements I want to make, and what to make for dinner.
  • mhlew
    Options
    Also- I usually catch a cold every January or Febuary and This year I did not catch a cold at all. I am convinced my daily sauna use has something to do with this!