I'm still losing weight but don't want to!

Options
Hi, this is my first post so be gentle with me lol! September 9th 2013 I was 17st6, I had to lose weight for a knee op and lost 7st6 to be 10stone and I managed that by the end of May. I managed to maintain it well, lost a little after my op as couldn't keep food down. So then once I could eat again properly I upped my calories and eating more logging everything but I am now at 9st6 and wanna get back to 10 (never thought I'd want I gain lol). My chest area is more boney now and I hate it plus my boobs look horrible (was 38f now 32d). I'm not exercising either as the operation I had was on my knee and I can't do much atm as my nerves are messing about.
Can anyone help or have any suggestions? Thanks, Gemma x

Replies

• logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking your food and calorie-counting?
  • thecheekygemstar
    Options
    Are you tracking your food and calorie-counting?

Yes, I've used myfitnesspal all the way through and still do x
  • 115s
    115s Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Fall back off the wagon? O.o
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Eat more food... If you're losing weight it's because your eating at a deficit.
  • logg1e
    Options
    You must be eating at a deficit then, so try upping your calorie goal?
  • thecheekygemstar
    Options
    I have now upped it again and it's now over 2,000 calories! Since I've lost weight I can't eat as much! Should I add in a few more 'naughty' things into the mix? I just don't want to go back to bad eating as now have 4-5 good days then the others have a few naughties in like chips or chocolate x
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    First - congratulations on your weight loss. That takes fantastic dedication and persistence.

You probably need to experiment more with what level of calories is really maintenance for you. Try gradually increasing your calories until you see the results you want.

Also, are there any exercises you can do right now? Body composition is probably a more important issue now than weight. Getting adequate protein and doing strength exercises will help you add some muscle along with fat as you put on weight.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I have now upped it again and it's now over 2,000 calories! Since I've lost weight I can't eat as much! Should I add in a few more 'naughty' things into the mix?x

Over 2000 calories isn't really loads to be honest... Stop thinking of things as 'naughty' and look to hit your cals and macros and it'll probably be easier.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Might want to make your diary public -- we might be able to suggest a few change-ups in your diet.

Any chance you can do dumbbell exercises on your back or sitting up? That would help replace and tone the muscles in your upper body, and having some toned pecs would help make the girls a bit perkier.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    I have now upped it again and it's now over 2,000 calories! Since I've lost weight I can't eat as much! Should I add in a few more 'naughty' things into the mix? I just don't want to go back to bad eating as now have 4-5 good days then the others have a few naughties in like chips or chocolate x

There are foods that have lots of calories and nutrients that would make it easier to add in calories while eating very nutritiously. And making treats part of the plan, as long as you can manage the temptations to eat too much of them, is not a naughty thing.
  • thecheekygemstar
    Options
    First - congratulations on your weight loss. That takes fantastic dedication and persistence.

You probably need to experiment more with what level of calories is really maintenance for you. Try gradually increasing your calories until you see the results you want.

Also, are there any exercises you can do right now? Body composition is probably a more important issue now than weight. Getting adequate protein and doing strength exercises will help you add some muscle along with fat as you put on weight.

Thank you, it's been a tough year! I love being smaller. I was pretty active with the weightloss journey using gym equipment advised by my surgeon, weights & swimming. I can't wait to go back as really miss it.

Originally to maintain I was having 1,600 and that worked fine (with dietician assistence). I was maintaining that til my op a month ago and lost a further 6lbs through lack of food for a week apart from tiny portions of soft food. For the last 2 weeks I've been able to eat normal again and just don't seem to be gaining.

Regarding exercise I can't atm, I'm awaiting rehab physio for my knee joint. Any suggestions on what to do? I would ask my dietician but been signed off from her now.x
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I don't know how tall you are but you can calculate what your daily maintenance calories (TDEE) should be:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/#projectedweightloss

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/

I have a friend who is morbidly obese but is afraid of losing her large bosom when she losses weight and it's undermining her resolve to get healthy. Alas, that large bosom is fat. However, you could do sitting exercises for your arms and chest muscles to optimize what you do have. I have small breasts and it has never negatively impacted my life... obesity will.

By the way, congratulations on a great job - you look wonderful!!
  • thecheekygemstar
    Options

There are foods that have lots of calories and nutrients that would make it easier to add in calories while eating very nutritiously. And making treats part of the plan, as long as you can manage the temptations to eat too much of them, is not a naughty thing.

What would you suggest?x
  • thecheekygemstar
    Options
    I don't know how tall you are but you can calculate what your daily maintenance calories (TDEE) should be:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/#projectedweightloss

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/

I have a friend who is morbidly obese but is afraid of losing her large bosom when she losses weight and it's undermining her resolve to get healthy. Alas, that large bosom is fat. However, you could do sitting exercises for your arms and chest muscles to optimize what you do have. I have small breasts and it has never negatively impacted my life... obesity will.

I'm 31 and 5ft6 x
  • thecheekygemstar
    Options
    Might want to make your diary public -- we might be able to suggest a few change-ups in your diet.

Any chance you can do dumbbell exercises on your back or sitting up? That would help replace and tone the muscles in your upper body, and having some toned pecs would help make the girls a bit perkier.

I don't really want to make it public & I don't have pecs I'm a women lol! I can give you a idea this is yesterday's:
    Morning
    bowl of either 30g Special K berrys with 125mls skimmed milk 1 piece of granary bread toasted with 10g clover light and marmite
    Mug of Nescafé with 1 sweetener and 20mls milk

Lunch
    2 crumpets with light salmon and dil Philly

Dinner
    Pork chop without the fat (never liked it) with 100g oven chips
    And selection of veg and grainy mustard

cake bar for desert with some grapes

Snacks
    Fruit, nuts and sunbite crisps!
  • socalkay
    Options
    According to TDEE calculations, it looks like 2000 calories should give you a slow weight gain. Try it for a couple weeks and, if that doesn't work, add another couple hundred calories and try that.

According to BMI calculator (See under APPS on this site), you are right in the middle of the healthy range for your height. You've done a terrific job and are recovering from surgery still. Maybe relax for a month or two and just maintain. Reevaluate your next steps after you have recovered completely.
  • logg1e
    Options
    There's lots of benefits to weight lifting that you might like to consider (and women do have pectoral muscles!). I understand your reluctance to open your diary to the wolves! Here are some thoughts:

Breakfast - swap Special K for a different cereal, the clover light for a non-light spread (butter's good for you!) and perhaps have two slices?

Lunch - swap the light phily for full fat version and butter and add some protein and veggies.

Dinner - sounds lovely.

Snacks - 40g of nuts and dried fruit is 200 calories for a tiny handful. If you like crisps, again, swap the light version or real ones.

In general, you can add some oil to your cooking (e.g. use a marinade on your pork chops), eat calorie dense foods (salad with avocado or those olives and feta dishes?) and try drinking calories such as in a homemade milk shake.
  • logg1e
    Options
    You've done a terrific job and are recovering from surgery still. Maybe relax for a month or two and just maintain.

But that's her point - she's still losing.
  • socalkay
    Options
    I was maintaining that til my op a month ago and lost a further 6lbs through lack of food for a week apart from tiny portions of soft food. For the last 2 weeks I've been able to eat normal again and just don't seem to be gaining.

I apologize. I took it to mean you lost more weight post-surgery when you had trouble keeping food down and now can't put that weight back on. My main point was, treat yourself gently. Your weight is not in an unhealthy range and your body is still healing.
  • AcrylicDreams
    Options

I don't really want to make it public & I don't have pecs I'm a women lol! I can give you a idea this is yesterday's:
    Morning
    bowl of either 30g Special K berrys with 125mls skimmed milk 1 piece of granary bread toasted with 10g clover light and marmite
    Mug of Nescafé with 1 sweetener and 20mls milk

Lunch
    2 crumpets with light salmon and dil Philly

Dinner
    Pork chop without the fat (never liked it) with 100g oven chips
    And selection of veg and grainy mustard

cake bar for desert with some grapes

Snacks
    Fruit, nuts and sunbite crisps!

2000 calories isn't that much. It's below maintenance for me most days.

Try swapping whole milk for skim, butter instead of margarine, full fat cream cheese instead of light. Then add things like avocados, nuts, olives, bananas, and legumes.

Also there's nothing wrong with a treat here and there, as long as you're hitting your nutrient goals.