What's your WEEKLY weight loss goal, and why?

Options

Replies

• frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I started my weight loss goal at 2lbs a week. Honestly, I haven't found it all that difficult to stay within the calories and also do at least 1 hour of cardio a day. I just started a week ago and have lost 8 lbs the first week. Granted, I'm assuming much of that is water weight so no biggie.

I've been using MFP in conjunction with WW and find that at the end of the day I still have points and calories to spare and don't feel hungry in the least. I came into this with poor eating habits (eating out of boredom, sedentary, etc) and have found after even the first week that I have more energy, I'm loving the food I'm eating (lots of fresh veg, fruits, fiber and lean protein). I indulge in one small soy latte a day and the rest of my fluid intake is water (at least 8 glasses a day).

This is not a diet to me, this is a life makeover so I have no intention of ever going back to the lazy food gorging person I was before.

On a side note, I've found that I don't have any cravings for all the crap I stuffed in my body before starting on this path.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what it is set at. I keep within my calorie allowance, do moderate exercise each week, and generally try to eat healthy. If I keep those 3 things constant I SHOULD lose weight. Right? :laugh: I have found that my body may or may not cooperate with any weekly goal I set, so, I don't set one. Some weeks I may not lose any, some weeks it will be 6. In the past if I didn't meet my weekly goal I would get frustrated, angry, and give up. So far the AVERAGE is 2+ per week. As long as I can honestly look myself in the mirror and KNOW that I did things right, it will come off eventually. Well, when ever my body decides to give it up anyway.:ohwell:
  • Jennwith2ns
    Jennwith2ns Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I have it set at 2 lbs a week, but 1 lb a week is plenty for me!
  • Levahna
    Levahna Posts: 132
    Options
    My weight loss is set at 2 pounds a week but that is because I have a lot to lose. I certainly don't always get that but it gives me room to work with if I don't get my exercise in during that week. I don't feel like I'm starving or denying myself foods I like. . . I just keep things within my numbers.
    As I get closer to my desired weight, I will probably change it but so far, it's working for me.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Good question. At this point I try not to stress about how much I'm losing per week, I'm close to my goal & its the holidays so I just want at least to remain the same. When I was at my heaviest I basically tried for 2 lbs per week. I knew that if I tried to do it quicker than that I would not be successful or I would do what did before - gain it all back. That's why its taken me three years to lose 248 lbs. Little bit of a struggle with the last 30 but even if from this moment on I don't lose a single ounce, I'm 10,000x better off than I used to be.
  • sweetie89207
    Options
    well my goal is two lbs a week and here is why- i have about 50 lbs to lose and i most of all want to look good and be in shape before i graduate college in the middle of may (and before my subsequent trip to Italy!) and so to figure out how to lose that weight in the allotted time...2 lbs a week was appropriate...and so far it has been up and down each week but equalling out to 14 lbs in 7 weeks...so excited because that means- RIGHT ON TRACK!
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what I set mine too. I just said that I was 195lbs and wanted to lose 40 pounds and I think it automatically put me at 1200. I lost 5lbs this first week which is extremely odd to me that I would lose that much at first; however, I've been exercising 30 mins at least 5 times a week.
  • priskar
    priskar Posts: 156
    Options
    I expect at least 2 - 2.5 lbs per week as I have had weight loss surgery (VSG). I don't weigh weekly though as I don't want to get hung up on the numbers rather than on gaining good health and fitness. If I loose during the week, great. If not, I know it's coming off eventually so I try not to sweat it.
  • poeticpurl
    poeticpurl Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hello

Mine is set at 2 pounds per week. I am using MFP to make sure I eat enough. I am changing the way I eat. As someone who often hit a fast food joint which is calorie overload. I know I need to feed my body I just need help with what I can eat to be healthy while still feeding my body. I have been using the american food pyrimid web site as well. My goal is to make an overall healthy food change that I can follow and live with. Loosing weight is a big benifit.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    I set my goal to lose a pound per week(it's actually .9 pounds) when i started here, to coincide with my half marathon training. I wanted to lose 12 pounds before the race and had 14 weeks to do it. I ended up losing 14 pounds. This thing works!:happy:
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    My goal is set for 2 lbs a week, and I started early in November. However, I am finding that I'm averaging 3lbs a week loss and one week, I lost 5lbs. I set for 2lbs because I have a lot to lose (120lbs from starting weight) to be a healthy weight, and the weekly weigh-in showing pounds loss keeps me motivated.

In addition, I was told by my doc on Nov 1st without major lifestyle changes, I would be diabetic in 3 months, so that has motivated to--at least initially--lose quickly. Doc said if I lost 10% of my weight, I'd improve my health by 50%, so that's my first goal, or about 30lbs and gave myself until the end of February to hit it. However, if my trend holds up, I'll hit that goal much sooner.

I have hit my calorie goal within 20 or so every day except for Thanksgiving and the day before in which I went over by about 200 calories each day.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Depend where I'm at. Sometimes I'm focusing on lose weight... which is 2 lbs a week.
    Right now,my focus is stick to my diet schedule-fasting 2 days a week.
    Add more vegetarian meal and hit at least 5 serving of veggie a day. I do weight myself once a week to make sure I don't gain back the weight.
  • pamp1emousse
    pamp1emousse Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I started off at 1.5lbs a week, but now I'm at 1/2lb a week because I don't have much left to lose. Tbh tho I'll settle for anything as long as that scale goes down!
  • Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    Options
    Hi,

I'm at 1lb per week as it was recommended by MFP. I just didn't know how fast I should or could lose weight, so I clicked on what they told me ;-)

I usually don't manage to stay within calories ( as I'm not trying hard enough, eat too much and not enough exercise), but I still lose weight constantly.
    I'm logging food for 19 weeks now, doing it seriously (after a holiday break) for 12 weeks, and I lost 17 lbs so far.

MM
  • fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I went for 1/2 pound a week. I don't have too much to loose so its a realistic target.
  • jsecret
    jsecret Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I set my MFP goal to 1.4 lbs a week (lowest I can go and not be under 1200 calories). I then make a bigger goal to myself (such as 20 by Halloween, 12 by Xmas, 10 by Valentines, etc.) I figure out what I need to be at weekly to match that goal and mark it on the calendar, I also mark my weigh ins as I go on that calendar and adjust my goals as needed. The weekly mini goal seems to help alot to know if I'm on track for my bigger goals which keep me on track to my main goal. LOL - I wish the rest of my life was this organized!!!
  • Mirabilis
    Mirabilis Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1 lb. per week. At my current weight, my daily calories are about 1300, which isn't all that much, and it goes down regularly as I lose weight.

I check the reports tab at the top of this website to see if it's working, and it is! I lost 6 lbs last month. The trick seems to be drinking MORE than 8 cups of water. 12 works better but anywhere in between seems to be OK.

If I lose too quickly, I won't keep it off but worse, I'm going to wind up with more baggy skin than I have now. I REALLY don't want that.
  • RealMattHopkins
    RealMattHopkins Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I am doing the 2lbs a week goal but like one person said above, "sometimes I lose more and sometimes I lose less". I Lost 18lbs before Christmas but bought a new scale when I got back home. Turns out the scale I used at the gym was quite off so I am confused as to how much I lost before Christmas. I know I am able to wear most of the clothes in my closet now when that was not the case before.

So... I think it really shouldn't matter about the numbers of lbs lost OR the time it takes you to do it. Just do it safely and don't get crazy when you have a bad week. Just get up on the horse and ride again.
  • babyoso1086
    Options
    I chose 2lbs a week only because i feel I have the extra pounds to shed.
  • abvickrey
    abvickrey Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I chose 1.5 pounds a week because I am doing a 20 week challenge. I currently weigh 154 pounds, and if I lose 1.5 pounds a week for 20 weeks, I will lose a total of 30 pounds which will put me at 124 pounds by June 1 -- ust in time for bathing suit season!!! Looking forwarding to reaching my goal weight at a healthy pace! :)