improving 10K trail race time?

Options
good morning!

I'm looking for advice to improve my 10K trail time. A little history- I've street run in the past (occasional 5K or 10K) but started trail running seriously 3 months ago.

I registered for a trail 10K on Thanksgiving. There is an elevation gain of 1000 feet and the trail is narrow in parts with lots of switchbacks, rocks, roots etc. BUT luckily for me the route is off my street so I am on it all the time.

My schedule is currently:

M: 4 miles fartlek

W: 3 Miles fast

Fri: 4 miles easy

Sunday 7-8 miles long and slow

my fastest trail mile was 8:47 min, but I really thought I was going to have a heart attack! It was uncomfortable and non sustainable (at this point.) and it wasn't even on a hilly portion.

My fast 3 mile runs are usually around 10- 10:30 min miles

My slow long runs are between 11 and 12 min miles

Any advice for improving these times? It would be a dream to get under 10 min miles for the race and finish under an hour. Usually about 15% of the runners complete this race under that time. Even if that is unrealistic I'd just like to improve.

Thank you seasoned runners!!!

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    The best way is to keep running trails and become familiar with the terrain, bonus points if on the same trail you're racing. Lots of my trail races this year have been first-time outings, so I'm unfamiliar with the terrain - creek crossings, hills, switchbacks, etc, so I tend to not go to my full capability. However, after a while a root is a root, rock is a rock, creek is a creek. Do you have trail shoes? The added stability and protection from terrain (rocks, dirt, water drainage, etc) will also help you pick up the pace. I wore road shoes to my first trail race in Ohio and I was waterlogged from creek crossings, slipping on climbs and descents, and lost it in the mud once.

Learn when to run and when to "power hike." When hiking up nasty hills, activate your glutes rather than your quads, because you'll need them for the way down. Fast trail running is about how you manage your "physical resources," quick decision making, and how much risk you want to take. Add a good 2min to your road racing pace for the distance too - if you run an 8min/mi road 10K, count on 10min/mi on the trails and run accordingly or your body will spaz out.

ETA - a 1000ft gain on a 10K course I'd add 3min to your road 10K pace haha. I did 8mi on with 450ft of climb and it about killed me, so have fun with that :)
  • Lesleycali
    Lesleycali Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Thank you for some great info! It's nice to have a reference for road times compared to trail times. Also the power hiking idea is good. There are some inclines where dozens of "steps" have been carved out of the hillside using rocks and logs, that might be a good area to try to conserve my resources.

I do have a pair of Merrell trail runners that I love, there are fairly minimal but have more stability and cushion then my road shoes (which is what I started with.) I have tiny tiny feet so its hard to find good shoes.

And I hadn't even thought about MUD! I shudder at the thought. I'm in SoCal and we've had no rain since I started hitting the trails 3 months ago. Our rainy season starts Oct/ Nov, so that might add the mud factor to this race. please no please no please no mud. sigh

thanks again for the tips!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Are you by any chance talking about the Topanga Turkey Trot? That's a tough race, though they have a great pancake breakfast.

You got good advice above. Trail running is a totally different beast from road running. If you really want to crack the hour mark, its good to tuck in behind others running your pace, then take cues from them (though for that, there will be people running up that incline, no matter how slowly). My strategy is to power hike up and be fearless on the downs.
  • Lesleycali
    Lesleycali Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Are you by any chance talking about the Topanga Turkey Trot? That's a tough race, though they have a great pancake breakfast.

You got good advice above. Trail running is a totally different beast from road running. If you really want to crack the hour mark, its good to tuck in behind others running your pace, then take cues from them (though for that, there will be people running up that incline, no matter how slowly). My strategy is to power hike up and be fearless on the downs.

ha ha yes it is the Topanga Turkey Trot!!! I live right off the trail so I figured that's what I've been running anyway, why not make it my first trail race!

Great idea to take cues from the other runners, thank you! I figure most of these folks will be more seasoned then me. As soon as I typed out that the top 15% finish under an hour, AND I've only been doing this 3 months...well, I realized maybe I need to lower my expectations just a bit! We'll see...I do have the home court advantage.

ETA: my profile pic is me on the race course :)